One Rep Max for STS

Timber99

Cathlete
did you all do the one rep max tests completely before starting?

I have had STS for a while and can never seem to get myself to finish the one rep max test to start the rotation. I typically rip open new workouts, especially Cathe's, but the preparation work is making me hesitate.

I thought about just doing them without it but it's probably not going to do the system justice if I don't just bite the bullet, do them and start. Thoughts?

This is what I am doing--I'm in week three of Meso 1. I've also had mine for awhile but wanted to have several months where I wouldn't be traveling and interrupt the program. I admit I was also intimidated by the perceived amount of preparation--I've never been a plan-the-rotation-for-an-entire-month type of exerciser so this program is a first for me.

Anyway, before I started the first workout I did the 1 rep max exercises for disc 1 and after that workout I did the 1 rep max for disc 2 and after I did disc 2 I did the 1 rep max for disc 3. The first week was really tough! The weekend before the second week I completed the 1 rep max for the exercises to be done the following week--that was much easier. I think if I were to do it again I would use the weekend before the first week to do the 1 rep max tests for that first week. So each weekend I've been doing the 1 rep max test for the following week and that seems to be working for me reasonably well.

I think that at least you need a guideline as to what weight to use for each exercise and the 1 rep max test helps you do that. The weight switches in Meso 1 are pretty quick and having a target weight amount on the workout card kept me from hitting the pause button too often as I scrambled to change my weights. The workout manager has really been great tool with the workout cards and keeping track of the weights.

Hope this helps!

I didn't do them all, but I did a lot. But, someone in my checkin group did not do them -- she just jumped in and guessed at a weight she thought was right for that many reps. It seemed to work for her -- she just then increased for each meso as prescribed. If it's keeping you from doing the workouts, I'd say do what my friend did.

I didn't do any of the 1 Rep Max's at all and got great results. Meso 1 seemed similar to Cathe's other workouts so I used what I'd normally use or a tad more "just in case" and many times had to back down to my original weight. With Meso 2 I just went heavier, say if I normally do Cathe's bicep work with 10's, I started Meso 2 with 12's. It worked out great!

I never wouldve started STS if I had to do all the 1 rep max's!

I did all the 1RM's but if you are just not motivated to do them don't let it stop you from doing the program. STS is great and I am sure you will enjoy it and get results no matter what you do. Just start!

I'm afraid I'm one of those people whose had STS forever but never did it because the 1RM tests never got done!!! I also usually tear into a new workout - but this has really stopped me completely. I did do 1 week of MESO 1 - I could see the need for the tests - but I also saw that is such a great program. I say do some - start the program and you'll probably be motivated to do the rest. I think I'm going to just start it - I feel bad enough as it is.

The week before I started, I did the 1RM for the first week's discs. Then on the subsequent weekends I'd do them for the next week, like Cataddict described above. At first there are a lot of them, but as the weeks went on, you need to do fewer and fewer 1RM's because your previous ones are used in future workouts.

I didn't do them for the leg workouts, though, and I don't think it took away from my results. I know what poundage I've used in other Cathe leg workouts and went from there. I think there are a few people who didn't do the leg 1RM's and still got good results.

Don't let the 1RM's intimidate you! STS is great, so jump right in and do it!!!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I think that I will dive in with what tests I've done and try to get them done on the weekends prior as I go along. That was a great suggestion becuase otherwise, I may never get it started.

I was the same way. I pre-ordered STS but then didn't start it for over a year because I kept putting off the 1 RM tests. I finally decided I was going to start it at the beginning of the year as my New Years resolution. For the most part I only did them for the 3-5 star exercises and I would do 2-3 a day after my regular workout until I got through it. It did take awhile, but I was glad that I did it because I loved having the workout card telling me what weight to use for every exercise.

Pam

I used my 1RM's as my weight work out. I didn't do 1RM's for lower body bc I will not being doing STS for lower body beyond meso 1 I don't think but I did them for upper and chose a minimum 1 exercise per BP for each work out. I did these work outs 2-3 times per week until I was done. I waited to start the program until they were completed. I didn't do ALL of the 1RMs. I think I went completely thru the 3-5 starred ones though and did some 2's as well. I am finding that finishing ALL of them would have been helpful though and will do them in full next time. If I don't re-test for 1RM's before I do another round I will atleast finish the ones I didn't do this time around.

You can always just do the 4 and 5 starred exercises - or the 3, 4 and 5 starred exercises and then when you do the workouts, you can judge the others that you don't do as they are often just variations of a previous exercise you have done the 1RM.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.