One mixed breed... now a pure breed?

delfin

Cathlete
We have one mixed-breed dog (a shelter rescue)... now the family wants another dog, and everyone has a different opinion. My oldest DD wants this miniature husky breed called an Alaskan Klee Kai, but the breed description says they're extremely shy and extremely reserved... not so sure that'd fit in with an active family, with kids coming and going. Would you have reservations about that??

My DH wants something big. I've always wanted a pug, and have seen many rescue ones out on the net... but I'd also consider another mixed. Other DD doesn't really care. We can't agree here! I'm tempted to just go out and come home with a pooch "I" like... after all, I'm the one who's going to end up taking care of it 90% of the time. What do you think??

In my opinion if you are going to have kids coming in and out on a regular basis I would be very cautious about picking a breed with the description you provided. You're going to want something with a very stable and friendly personality. In regards to Pug's I've heard (I have no personal experience) that they are very difficult to train...so keep that in mind if you start going down the Pug road. You can't go wrong with alot of the "big" breeds out there...a Golden Retriever or a Lab is most always a safe bet. Of course whatever you get, especially if it's a pure breed, make sure it's from a reputable breeder. Good luck and let us know what you decide :D.

Deni

Pugs are actually pretty smart dogs but they are difficult to train (from my experience anyway) b/c they (or my Max anyway) want to be the alpha animals. I did Barkbusters w/Max & he actually caught on to everything very quickly, & he's finally stopped "marking" in the house.

Anyway, I love the little guy to death & if you decide to get a pedigreed I would strongly recommend pugs. They're great w/people, they're good natured, they love kids.

That said, I think mixed breeds are better b/c they're healthier. They don't have all the genetic problems that go along w/centuries of inbreeding.

One comment on the Lab idea. I own one, I love him, BUT he was VERY hyper for the first 2 years of his life. He reached 86 lbs by 1 year old. So, if you can emagine having an 86 lb lab running through your house, jumping up on kids or any company (you can train them not to do that, it just takes time), and chewing on everything including sheet rock, and think you can handle it, their great dogs. Now all the children in the neighborhood love him, he's still got lots of energy, but he's much more calm than he was. I honestly don't think that I would get a hunting breed at all. Only because most of the time they are large, and are bread to have lots of energy so they can use that while hunting. BTW, this lab is not my first lab that I've had in my life, my family had one when I was growing up, 120 lb black lab, same thing with the hyper puppiness for the first 2-3 years of life. It's just a lab trait. They are great dogs when they are full grown and out of the puppy stage. I had him potty trained in 4 weeks of owning him. He's very friendly, loves everyone. He's also very protective of our house. He scares our friends that don't know him very well when they come to our door. So, he's a good guard dog. He's also pretty sure that the AKC papers did a typo, that he's not a labrador, but a laprador, he's a lap dog. He's sure that there is some way that if he just curled up he would fit in your lap. He loves affection.
So, there are good things and bad things about labs. I don't know anything about Pugs. I know that cocker spaniels tend to pee when they get nervous or excited, you may not want that. Honestly I would probably just do a web search on breeds of dogs and see what is out there that would fit your needs.
I also have a Shih-Poo. I am always getting comments on how cute she is. Most people that are around her, that want a dog, want a shih-poo after meeting her. She's great with kids, much more mellow than most puppies, but still has plenty of energy. She is not shy at all, she loves people. But the potty training has been harder with her than that lab. So, you gain some good things, but lose other things.
This got really long, huh. Sorry. I'll shut up now. There is my opinion.

Kathy

I agree - get something you like since you'll be the primary caretaker. I've only had mutts from shelters and they've been great! Our current dog is a classic Heinz 57 - terrier, beagle, some kind of bird dog (has to be by the way he chases anything that flies), dachshund, greyhound, lab, shepard, and anything else. He's got a great personality, has loads of energy but is very easy to train. Tends to get distracted easily unless you have a treat. If he knows you have one for him, he's a perfect angel.

If I was to get a purebred, I'd adopt a greyhound. My uncle had one and she was a doll. Good luck!

"Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." Satchel Paige

It's really you're call, but I'd always go with a rescue, mixed breed or pure bred.

I definitely wouldn't go with a dog that has a description that sounds so very different from what your family's lifestyle is.

What is most important, IMO, is that the dog get along with your family, lifestye, and other dog. Visit the shelters near you and see if any mutual love develops, and keep an eye on www.petfinders.com to see if there is a dog whose description sounds appealing.

Sometimes, the best pets are not the ones we think we want at first, but the ones who 'choose' us. That's been my experience.

I agree w/Laura Max .. a purebreed ... usually does have more health problems .. as my vet said .. the more pure the breed the more human like their health becomes .. allergies .. etc ... but I LOVE my purbreed dogs .. they are huge .. and house dogs (no problem what so ever) .. and smart .. they are human like .. I have Dogue de Bordeaux's .. and they are the smartest dogs I have ever owned .. they are house dogs .. and very neat .. the male was housebroken in 2 weeks .. the female in about 3 -4 weeks .. got them at 8 weeks of age .. they are my babies! they both have allergies .. they are very protective and huge lovable babies! the male is the alpha male so I had to have "puppy bootcamp" w/him every morning and afternoon for months to make him understand that I was the alpha dog of the house .. LOL!!! But he fully gets that now .. LOL!!

the mix breed dog we have now is a pit mix .. so sweet and lovable .. and so far no health problems . . she is also very smart and trained very easy .. (she wants to please a lot more than the other dogs)

if you are going to be the main one (90% of the time) taking care of the dog .. I think you should have the final say so ..

If you do opt for a big dog .. I would get it as a puppy .. so all of his or her learned behaivor comes from you not someone else .. I will always own a big dog .. just because most are more laid back than the smaller breeds!

If I did get a small breed dog .. I just love the French bulldogs ..TOO CUTE .. and they are supposed to be super smart! Rat terriors are also very smart dogs .. but tend to be a little hyper!

Whatever you choose .. you will be giving a loving home to a very special pet!!:)

Absolutely, in an active family with people coming and going, you do not want a dog who is shy and reserve. At the very least you'll have a dog who is miserable, at the worst, he/she may bite someone because he/she is out of the comfort zone.

There's a website called www.dogbreedinfo.com that has most of the breeds I've ever heard, and some I have not. That may give you an idea of what kind of dog will fit your family. And most breeds have rescue groups. You can also look for specific breeds in the shelter - or breed mixes. And petfinder.com will help you sort through dogs in your area needing homes. There are all sorts of ways to do this.

Some of the more overbred purebreds have major health issues, but if you get a dog from rescue, they should be able to tell you how the dog is fairing now. And a purebred from a reputable breeder should not have those issues. It's the backyard breeders that weaken breeds.

I have an Australian Shepherd and could not imagine ever getting a different breed. He's a great running and hiking companion, and he's smart as a whip (sometimes he scares me how smart he is). They are family dogs - love hanging with people and they have off-buttons - unlike border collies who go, go, go, go, go... Oh yeah - they have no tails - so things stay ON the coffee table! I love that feature...

But, there are so many wonderful breeds of dogs out there - do a bit of research to find the best dog for your family. Even if you are thinking of getting a mutt - knowing the different breeds help determine what the dog will be like.

Hi,
I don't post much however just wanted to say I have a new pug puppy now and she is about 12 weeks old. She is almost totally paper trained only because she is too little to go down my deck stairs. If I take her down the stairs and tell her to be good girl she goes. I also had another female pug in the past. She was easily trained and great with my kids even though I had her for five years before I had kids. I had to put her to sleep when she was 14 years old because she had a growth on her spine and was in a lot of pain. I never had a male pug but I love my female pugs. My new puppy has bonded with me since I do take care of her like you said 90 % of the time. My other dog a Boxer is a great dog. My boxer is also a female, she is a white Boxer which most breeders don't consider pure bred because boxers are supposed to be fawn or brindle. I have to say she is a great dog. She was easily trained, loves the whole family and my kids were little when I got her and she tolerated everything they did to her. Sorry this is so long. My white boxer is deaf though, something I did not figure out for about 6 months. I was able to housebreak her and teach her simple commands before I figured out that she was deaf. She learned the hand signals that I was using with the voice commands. Very active dog though and loves to play. I think you should research some breeds and see which would fit with your family and which one you like. Sorry for this lenghty post.
Phyllis:)

Not sure what breed is for you, but you are right that you'll be the major care giver. I was doing a search on google (help picking a dog breed) and came up with alot of sites to help.

This site was amazing as it gave the dog I own now as a 4th choice, and others I'd concider, that's pretty good. You just put in all your criteria and it gives you suggestions.
http://www.petnet.com.au/selectapet/dogselectapet2.html

This was also an interesting article
http://www.weeno.com/art/0499/35.html

Good luck. And do your homework. That's part of the fun.

Ps. My dog breed (Rhodesian Ridgeback) is also known for being reserved with stangers and that's exactally how she is. She accepts some of my sons friends and won't go near others. She also has been socialized every day with strangers (I have a grooming shop in my home) and she is still reserved. It's part of the breeds nature. You can't change it. So, you'd have to concider this with the Alaskan Klee Kai.

I don't know exactly what you have in mind, there are so many breeds out there. I can tell you that I have had 2 German Shepherds, 4 labs, a lab/rottweiler/mastiff/etc. mix, and a German shorthair pointer. All have their positives and negatives. In my experience, the German Shepherds were by far the easiest to train--wonderful dogs and I would have another one in a heartbeat. I don't think they are necessarily smarter, just more into pleasing YOU, whereas the labs have more of a what-are-you-gonna-do-for-me-next attitude. But they are so adorable. And Kathy is right about labs being "active" in the first two years. When I got my first lab puppy, my vet took one look at him and said, "In about five years he's gonna be a really good dog for you." Actually he started to calm down after about two years. The pointer was a great dog but not easily trained and needed LOTS of exercise and LOTS of room to run. Not a good house dog. My mixed breed dog was the healthiest of all, hands down. She was easily trained and very quickly set herself up as the alpha dog. That was years ago. I now have two chocolate labs, ages 2 and 4, and we are doing okay after getting past all the puppy stuff. They are absolutely adorable, and great house dogs.

I have heard really good things about labradoodles (sp?) They are a cross between a lab and a poodle--big dogs, supposedly very smart and don't shed. Very cute. Have not had any personal experience with one.

I have not had a pug, but my stepson has one and he has said the pug is very difficult to train.

Don't know if that helps you or not. I would also add that it might be a good idea to get a dog not of the same gender as your collie. It has been my experience that a dog is more accepting of a "new member"--and there is not as much of a tendency to mark territory--if they are of a different gender. Of course, that's if you intend to spay/neuter them.

Because your vet knows you, your family, and your dog, you might ask her/him if she/he has any thoughts on what kind of dog might work for you.

MissL

We purchased a great dane. She is now almost 6 mos. old. She is one of the most intelligent dogs we have ever owned. Loves people. She has to be touching you. They do require a lot of training because of size. She loves the children. She is an indoor dog. Pretty laid back even as a puppy. She does get excited when someone different comes in the house. She is pretty insistant on them paying attention to her. She, so far is awkward with long legs that take some work to pull up under her after she has been laying down. Anyway, we love her and she has been a great addition to our household. My DD says when they are ready to get another dog they will probably get a Dane. They have a lab mixed they got from a rescue program that is an excellent dog.
Diane Sue
http://wd.1ww.us

Our first dog is MY dog - I saw her, I fell in love with her, I talked my DH into getting her. Our second dog was DH's choice, not my first pick - but of course we were all happy because really there is not a dog that we wouldn't love. Now I take care of the dogs 95% of the time and even if a golden isn't my first choice (I, and the kids, would have preferred a shepherd or a rottie or another pit/mix) I still love her, because I can't help but not to, the kids feel the same.

I would not get a reserved dog with kids - they have friends coming and going and someone is likely to get bit. The dog won't be happy, the family won't be happy. My girlfriend got a Rhodesian Ridgeback and while he loves the family and they love him, he constantly on edge because they are so active and have so many people coming and going. He growled at me and has bit my puppy just because she was laying in a spot that he liked. DF wants him to just get used to having an active family, but it hasn't happened and it isn't going to.

I will say that mixed dogs have the least health problems and usually have the best temperaments... I love mixed breeds!

Good luck! :)

Missy

>the mix breed dog we have now is a pit mix .. so sweet and
>lovable .. and so far no health problems . . she is also very
>smart and trained very easy .. (she wants to please a lot more
>than the other dogs)

Poochy, I could not agree more! Our pit mix is the most eager to please dog we have ever had! It is so important to her that we know that she loves us and she just waits for us to teach her something new so that she can prove how much she wants to make us happy and proud of her... so cute! :D It usually takes me no more than 2 5min training sessions with her for her to know something and have it down. :)

Missy

That is a fallacy that mixed breeds have the least health problems and best temperaments.

Whatever you decide with, make sure you either go to a reputable breeder who does health testing, temperament testing, etc. and/or a rescue/shelter who does temperament testing.

Do your research and then more research and then even more research. If you decide to go with a purebred, these are some questions I would ask:

Why is she breeding the dam to the sire? Pros and cons of each one.
Longevity in pedigree
Health testing in pedigree
Temperament in pedigree

Also my purebred dogs:
Kiana is 8.5 and still competing in agility and frisbee. Her mother is 14 and her father's side all lived until 13.
Gabby is only 3, her father's side lives until about 13 and mother about 14.
Bret, Dobe, a breed with very short lifespans. His mother's side is living until about 10-11 and his father's side 12.

Colleen

I have no kidding, a Newfoundland bred with a spaniel. He is no kidding the best tempered dog I have ever had the privilege of loving. He is not only the extremely gentle and lovable as most newf's are but he is only the size of a spaniel...

It's wonderful, he looks like a minature Newfoundland...

Everyone at the Vets always gets a kick out of seeing him, saying if they hadn't of seen it for themselves they would have never believed it...

Carrie:)

>I have no kidding, a Newfoundland bred with a spaniel.

I hope it was the mother who was the Newfoundland!

There is a Newfoundland mix at our local animal shelter, and she is just beautiful (doesn't like other dogs, though, so has to be in a one-dog family, and might not be around for long :-( ).

The oddest dog mix I've ever seen was a Basset Hound/Golden Retreiver. Basset Hound shaped body (with the short legs) with Golden Retreiver head and fur. Looked a bit strange!

I don't have any dogs but my sister has an Aussie that she got from a reputable breeder and this dog is just wonderful and fits in well to her active household. The dog is always out with the kids, running, playing, has the best temperament and is whip-smart.

She's also the most amazing frisbee dog I've ever seen!!

Sparrow

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

Charlie Barley Pop (think about it, you'll get it) is the BEST dog ever...Golden retreiver and rotweiler mix...He looks like a long haired rotweiler (goofy and LOVABLE!)...When he was 8 months old my daughter turned him into a sled dog (she was 5), he still pulls her around the yard every winter (she's now 10)...I think he got the best traits of each breed...Protective of his home and family, but with a heart of gold...He can read people, somehow (loves the neighbor on one side, growls at the drunk on the other!!! LOL!)...Not the brightest crayon in the box at times, but will do anything to please Mom, Dad and his sister (our DD)...

MJ in MN

One thing to keep in mind with mixed breeds is that they don't necessarily breed "true." So you are never really sure what you are going to get. So one person's rottie/golden cross is terrific another might not be. That's not to say there aren't great mixed breeds out there. But something to keep in mind.

Colleen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.