One milestone reached!

kathryn

Cathlete
I hit 4.5 mph!

(If you hate wordy posts, you can stop there!)

Since mid-July, I've added power walking to my workouts. I used to do a lot of walking , but had gotten out of the habit here because I thought there was no where to walk.

I decided I wanted to transition into some lower-impact workouts, another type of cardio I'm not used to for cross-training (and to get less used to the cardio I had been doing, so it becomes less efficient and more calorie burning once I get back to it) and something I could continue for a lifetime, and walking was always something I did well, so I used the last part of the summer to figure out some routes that would keep me away from most student areas once they came back in the fall. (And while I've succeeded in doing that, ít's impossible to avoid the student-produced trash---beer cans, fast-food containers, styrofoam and plastic beer cups--that students throw all over town!)

I started out about 45 minutes a day for a few days. First three days, shins were burning like mad, and my right hip felt like it was getting some sort of '-itis.' Did some foam rolling, took a couple of days off due to weather (I don't do rain walks or walk when it's way too hot).

I used a lame pedometer, coupled with keeping track of my time, to figure out my speed and distance the first two weeks. Then I discovered the Garmin wrist-mounted GPS at Amazon for a good price (the version without a heart-rate monitor, because those don't work for me). I LOVE this thing! Now I can keep really accurate account of speed, distance, time, etc. And I'm doing lots of competing against myself!

When I first started using the Garmin, I was going 3.8/3.9 mph on average (for an hour). Then I gradually got faster, trying to break my speed each time (though forcing myself to take some workouts more easy, to not do too much too soon).

I'm now walking most days of the week, usually an hour, but sometimes 1 1/2 hours (if I'm on a roll), and sometimes a faster, shorter workout ("2 fast miles").

Yesterday, I broke the 4.5 mph average barrier for a full 5 miles! (the day before, I hit 4.467.. mph, but I didn't round up and count it as 4.5 because I wanted to REALLY 'have it' before I claimed it.

I'll stay here for a while, I think, but I eventually want to try to get to a 5 mph average on my hour-long walks, since that's supposed to be around the speed where the body becomes very inefficient at walking, and calorie burn and intensity really go up (though I don't see how it can be the same for everyone: you'd think it would happen at a lower speed for folks with shorter legs, for example).

I know I can do the speed, because my maximum speed (which the Garmin records as well) is usually 5 mph or faster (strange, though, I thought, that my maximum was faster (sometimes around an 8 minute mile) when my average was slower, and now that my average is faster, my maximum is slower (usually around an 11-minute mile).

I'm trying to find some 5 k walk/runs around, but so far, no luck.

I'm finding that I can easily push myself to walk alot (and often feel like I could keep going when I get within a few blocks of my 'cool-down' spot), but other cardio hasn't been that appealing to me.

The next three days or so have rain on the forcast, so I won't be walking. Will have to do some indoor cardio again!

Congrats Kathryn! Aren't Garmins wonderful? I have had one for a year now and I just love it. I started walking after knee surgery and lots of biking and have done it these past two Saturdays. I walked 4 miles in 70 min which is 3.7 mph. I was pretty excited about that because this recovery has been anything but easy. Anyway, I too am trying to get faster over time. Good luck with your 5 mph goal.

That is so awesome! You are my new inspiration!:) Since my hip surgery, I was told no more high impact ever basically. So I have been thinking about incorporating a fast walking program into my routine. I never could walk before without terrible pain, and now that I can, I find my feet hurt more than anything.

I am proud of you! Now, I need to get up and start my own walking program.:7

Wow! Great Job! I can't even imagine walking at 4.5 mph. I know that running is *supposed* to be harder but I think fast-walking can be more intense. I know whenever I get the treadmill to about 4.4 I just feel like I would rather run...it's just too hard.:)

Way to go! :) :)

Congrats! Great work. It's nice when you can do some friendly (and some not so) competing against yourself ;)

Debbie

Brain cells come & brain cells go, but fat cells live forever.

It is super fast! That's great! I am a runner and i cannot walk that fast. I just end up starting to run cause like a previous poster said it's just easier. Great job. I can see you walking in a 5k and passing some of the joggers!
LD

Yay, Kathryn!! That's awesome! I love to walk, but I've never tried to clock myself. You make it sound very tempting.

Congratulations on the milestone!

Do you use a racewalking technique? If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you and do you have longish legs? Just wondering if a certain technique or physical traits help. I once paced myself by following a woman walking on campus at lunchhour who was moving at a fair clip ... she took smallish steps but could outpace me - I was surprised.

Deb

Congratulations! I have been doing a lot of walking, too. I want to get one of those Garmin GPs. I also find that when I listen to my Ipod I enjoy walking more. I also put on fast fitness music and the time flies by!
Ellen

Congratulations Kathryn. I love power walking too and have been doing this for about 3 years now, mainly on the treadmill because I can be doing this when my girls are swimming or at soccer practice at a nearby facility. There's an incredible power that comes from it and it's just as satisfying as any other cardio really, well, maybe except for backpacking in the Rockies, which is my real fave activity. :) People think you can't get in shape from walking, they are so wrong! And no injuries is hard to beat.

Well done, and now you will just have to set your goals for an even faster pace! Ha!

Tell me: what do you listen to as you walk along? Or do you focus inwards?

Clare :)

Congratulations!! Wow, that's really fast! Like another poster stated -- I don't think I could walk at that pace and I'd probably have to jog it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.