one for the good guys!

Ann Marie

Cathlete
OK, so this will probably be a HOT topic, but I'm happy they got Al Zarqawi:D :D If anything, it will help the moral of our troops!

Ann Marie

Hi Ann Marie,

I couldn't agree with you more! My son was a Marine and was over there for a short while! He's safe at home now, and has been out for almost 2 yrs. I truely repect and admire all of our service men over there! I'm thankful everyday for what they are doing for our country! I wish them well and God speed!!!

I completely agree, Ann Marie! My son and I gave each other a "high-five" when we heard that wonderful news.
Susan C.M.

IMHO, this isn't going to make much of a difference in the plight of the insurgents in Iraq. I'm a realist and know there is always another bad guy to step in and take over. Nothing changed after Sadam was captured and his sons were taken out.

I hope it will make a difference, but unfortunately, don't really think it will.

I have to admit that the image of him dead being plastered all over the internet is disturbing to me. While I'm glad he's been stopped, and I'm in favor of anything to support the troops and help with moral, I just personally don't want to see that image. Of anyone.
Brandi

http://www.picturetrail.com/jackieboy

Although I can somewhat agree with the original sentiment, I have to say I was thinking about watching news footage of the Palestinians smiling and cheering and hugging each other when the World Trade Towers fell. I thought, "How can these people do such a thing? How can they be so sick as to cheer and scream over something so horrible?" And I wondered if I could ever jump up in down in absolute joy over someone else's death.

Yes he was a bad man and maybe in some way of thinking he deserved to die, but what saddens and sobers me is the underlying hatred of it all, the root of it all, the reallization that there will never be "peace on earth" and I cannot cheer about that.

Does his death mean we may be safer as a country? I doubt it.

I am grateful for every serviceman and woman out there. I couldn't do that job.

Sorry to be such a party pooper. Please no flames!

Susan L.G.

Susan,

I agree with everything you say. There's something sick about praising someone's death...no matter how bad that person was. And to those who point to the World Trade Center disaster...I say two wrongs don't make a right. And, as you point out, if we are so excited about all the killing, how does that make us any different than the radicals in that part of the world.

I think there's a difference guys. I haven't seen any footage of Americans prancing in the street by the thousands, cheering AZ's death and waving flags. I mean, I agree with the general sentiment, but I think there's a vast difference between individual Iraqis and Americans expressing happiness that this specific guy, who was directly and happily involved in terrorism, is out of the picture and thousands of Arabs chanting and celebrating because 3000 Westerners, mostly Americans, have been murdered, Westerners who were not involved with terrorism, war, or anything like that. It's not the same thing, IMO.

Interesting discussion, though. :)

Sparrow

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

Sparrow,
I agree with you! I am happy they got him, although I don't "cheer" death of anyone. We do have to stand up to terrorism, and unfortunately it doesn't end with the death of one radical.

Ann Marie

How did I miss that news break? I better start watching the news at least. I am glad that they got him, but I understand where everyone else is coming from. It is very sad to see all the hatred and know that this one bad guy gone isn't going to end it. I don't know if it will ever truely end. But I support and have great respect to all of our troops over in Iraq.

Kathy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.