? on custom window treatments or knowledge

rjroubi

Cathlete
We are decorating our informal livingroom,.....we bought all the furniture and are very pleased, but what we question is price the designers came back with for the window treatments and that was $3387.00 (total with labor not including tax) (note: the "treatments" are not silk). The fabric yardage is only about 22 yards total (hardware was $120).

In my other home, DH and I did the window treatments in the livingroom (they were not custom, but they were nice) for about $1600...rods, etc. We hung them ourselves. My question is does $3387 sound really out of line. (I should add, the fabric the designers picked really is absolutely perfect so it is tough to say no.)

Any ideas??? Um...besides attempting to make them myself...although, I do own a really good sewing machine (a Bernina Virtuosa 153 Quilters Edition)...I am really only a beginner sewer with no time and not much talent so that would not be a good idea.!!!

Robin:9

I just had my house decorated and had window treatments made for 10 windows and my total cost was 2,200. The lady that is doing mine has been doing it for years, but she is not a business and it does take her a while. I did get a another quote from some other lady who is a business, but does it out of her house and she was 3,300.

Wow, Cinnamon....sounds like you got quite the deal! The price we were quoted was only for four wide oversized 18 Ft windows closely set in one room. We've decided to talk to a couple of other window designers and see what they come up with. I'm sure they can be just as creative...and I think for $3387 the window treatments should have been silk.

Thanks so much!!
Robin:)

Hi Robin,

I dug out the invoice for the custom window treatments I ordered for my living room and dining room (a total of 4 windows). I spent $2081 which included 21 yards of fabric, lining, labor, installation, and sales tax. I was really happy with the work.

My decorator works out of her home and doesn't have much overhead, nor does she have employees to pay, so that helped keep the cost down. The woman who actually made the window treatments also works out of her home and her son does the installation. I found my decorator by word of mouth, so ask around. I really think you can do better.

Michele

Michele,
Thanks so much for looking that up! We do have the name of the fabric and fabric company so hopefully we can find someone who can use that fabric and do it at a lower cost or maybe even offer a better design (???). With the tax added our total would come out to $3666.43 which we thought was kind of high. (It is almost twice yours for almost the same amount of fabric!!!) The designers who did our informal livingroom were high end and we figured they would be be a little higher on the window treatments we just didn't think they would be that much higher. We will definitely have to search around for someone to do the window treatments.

Thanks again for your help.
Robin :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.