OMG!!!!!!!!

AWESOME!!! You look terrific!! What an inspiration you are!! One of my thighs probably wouldn't fit into that skirt!!! :+ :+ :+

I am so glad you posted new pictures cuz I know how hard you have been working and was curious to see what you look like now, it is really paying off for you big time. You Rock!

Charlotte~~

You look AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

But, what does HIIT stand for? I think I am going to go with your change and cut down on my cardio and add more weights to see if that will make a difference.

WTG!!!!! Keep it up.

~Marcia~

You look really, really great. I'm curious, did you notice that when you cut down on cardio that you gained or lost weight?

Thanks to all of you!!!

Susan: I am doing the P90X rotation with some Cathe mixed in on a few days, I have been doing 30 minutes of HIIT in the am before breakfast and doing P90X in the afternoon. I have been changing it up here and there and doing some Cathe Cardio instead of the HIIT and I have added a Cathe Leg workout later in the day after my P90X legs&back, Ab ripper X...One day a week I have been adding in 16 Cathe pikes on the ball. I also change up my HIIT, from Elliptical to Running outside to my spinning bike..to keep it fresh..

Donna: Hey Girl!!! The top is from Wet Seal, I Love it!!! I was looking back at my calender and I was a size 10/11 in November...If that helps..

Aila: Yes, I am following Tom's plan...very good information!!!

Lisa: You are too kind!! Thank you so much!!

Skye: Hey Girl!! You helped me out with some of the suggestions that you made..Thanks..I just rented Baron Baptiste Power Yoga level 2 to try it out!! Your right Yoga is incredible!!

Candi: Yes, the first week I started the P90X rotation I noticed that I started to lean out more and I lost 1 lb the first week. Too much cardio is counter productive to muscle growth and development, it has made a huge difference for me. I am now only doing 30 minutes of HIIT cardio 4-5 times per week.

Have a great day everyone!!

For anyone who is wondering what HIIT is, I copied this from the Oxygen Forum

What Is It?

•The repeated alternating of periods of high intensity effort with periods of low intensity effort.
•The basic tenets of interval training can be satisfied on a treadmill, stationary bike, elliptical machine, or outside, with the latter ‘probably’ being the most effective.
•Normally defined by a ‘work:rest’ ratio (e.g. 1:3), in which the ‘work’ component represents the high intensity/sprint component and the ‘rest’ represents the low intensity/active recovery component.
•For example, alternating 20 second fast runs with 60 second brisk walks (or jogs) until the desired time has elapsed.
•Typically shorter in duration than traditional low intensity cardio owing to the higher intensity effort.

The Benefits of Interval Training Relative to Endurance Cardio

1.Greater Energy Expenditure and Resultant Fat Loss

•With increasing exercise intensities, the proportion of energy substrate derived from fat decreases, while the proportion of carbohydrate usage increases. (3)
•However, the predominant fuel substrate used during exercise does not play a significant role in fat loss.
•Total daily energy expenditure is more important for fat loss than the major fuel used during exercise. (3)
•The most notable study comparing interval training to endurance cardio concluded that interval training is the most optimal method for fat loss. (14)

oIn this study subjects engaged in either an endurance program (4-5 times per week for 30-45 minutes) for 20 weeks or a high-low intensity program for 15 weeks.
oNeither group was placed on a diet.
oThe mean estimated energy cost of the endurance protocol was 120.4 MJ, whereas the mean estimated energy cost of the high-low intensity protocol was only 57.9 MJ. (more than double)
oHowever, the decrease in six subcutaneous skin folds was greater in the high-low intensity group than it was in the endurance group. This is despite the lower energy cost during exercise.
oAfter statistical analysis it was shown that the high-low intensity group experienced nine times the fat loss of the endurance group.
oThis same study found the high-low intensity protocol to significantly increase the activity of an enzyme which is a marker of the activity of ‘fat burning’ over endurance protocol.

•While one burns less overall calories and less fat during interval training (due to the involved energy systems) compared to endurance cardio, when the post-exercise recovery period is factored in, interval training leads to significantly greater energy expenditure and fat loss.
•This is due to the effects interval training has on excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC)

oEPOC – post-exercise oxygen consumption above resting values used to restore the body to the pre-exercise condition.
oAfter exercise, oxygen uptake remains above pre-exercise levels for a period of time that varies according to the length and intensity of exercise.

•The number of calories burned following interval training is significantly enhanced due to the increased EPOC.
•There is much research to show that interval training protocols result in significantly greater post-exercise energy expenditure and fat utilization when compared to low to moderate intensity protocols. (1, 4, 7, 8, 10, 15)
•Another study showed that even with no significant difference in total work, groups that exercised at a high intensity lost significant amounts of fat, while no significant changes were found in the lower intensity group. (2)
•Another study showed that those who participated in high intensity exercise had lower skin fold measurements and waist-to-hip ratios than those who participated in lower intensity exercise. (13)
•Improved VO2max, as a result of interval training, has been associated with increased thermic effect of food (TEF) (6)

oTEF – An increase in energy expenditure due to an increase in cellular activity associated with digestion.

2.Improved Cardiovascular Conditioning & Fitness

•Interval training has been shown to increase both aerobic and anaerobic capacity whereas endurance cardio only increases aerobic capacity. (9, 11, 12, 14)
•It is well established that interval training increases aerobic capacity/VO2 max more than endurance cardio. (5, 12)

o28% increase in aerobic capacity with high-low intensity cardio vs. 14% increase in aerobic capacity with endurance cardio. (12)

•Maximal oxygen uptake, or V02max, is generally regarded as the best single measure of aerobic fitness.
•Interval training is more conducive to improving the muscle's ability to use fat. The more fit one becomes, the more likely they are to use fat as fuel for any given activity.

•Post training, you will burn more fat. Numerous studies show that HIIT can elevate your metabolic rate significantly after the workout – with most of the calories coming from fat.
•Fat/calorie burning is elevated afterwards to restore homeostasis (i.e. body temperature, catecholamines, hemoglobin, myoglobin, etc.).And it doesn't matter if you eat carbs right away either. This will not inhibit the oxidation of fat. In fact research actually shows that getting nutrients in immediately after HIIT will actually increase EPOC, reduces muscle protein catabolism, and increases recovery, all while having the wonderful benefit of not inhbiting lipolysis.
•HIIT dramatically increases the amount of GH released into the bloodstream. This has some fat burning implications. (muscle building benefits are questionable)
•Long periods of low-intensity/steady state cardio tend to convince some fast-twitch fibers to convert to slow-twitch fibers (or at least take on some slow twitch qualities). Conventional slow, long-duration cardio workouts tend to "overtrain" the fast-twitch muscle fibers and to convert the intermediate muscle fibers to slow-twitch suitors. HIIT prevents this from occurring, preserving your muscle growth potential.
•High intensity cardiovascular exercise increases oxygen expenditure and forces the body to adapt by becoming more efficient at oxygen transport (increase in VO2 max). That means healthy benefits for the heart, lungs and other components of your cardiovascular and pulmonary systems.

Some points by Dr. John Berardi

The Benefits of Training The Anaerobic Energy Systems

While training the anaerobic energy systems is clearly be of benefit for enhancing athletic performance, there are many other non-athletic benefits as well:

1) This type of training is very calorie expensive. Short, 30-minute workouts can burn in excess of 400kcal during the exercise. While carbohydrates provide much of the fuel used during the high intensity interval, fat is also burned preferentially during the low intensity aerobic recovery period between the high intensity intervals.

2) The post exercise calorie expenditure is huge with this type of exercise. In some studies the resting metabolic rate remains elevated (by 15% or more) up to 24 hours after the workout. Interestingly, after exercise the body preferentially burns fat so this elevated metabolism is burning predominantly fat.

3) This exercise leads to an up regulation of aerobic, anaerobic, and ATP-PC enzyme activity. This means that all the energy systems of the body will operate at higher levels and become efficient at burning calories and generating energy.

4) The muscles used during this type of exercise will change their composition, shifting toward an increased percentage of fast twitch fibers. This increase in power-producing fast fibers comes at the expense of the weaker slow twitch ones. The shift is desired as the fast fibers grow more easily than the slow fibers.

5) There is an increase in specific muscle cell organelles (i.e. the sarcoplasmic reticulum). This leads to a better calcium balance and contractile ability.

6) There are short-lived increases in blood testosterone (38%) and growth hormone concentrations immediately after exercise. While this is debatable, these changes may contribute to an anabolic state in the body.

:)

DAMN GIRLFRIEND! You are HOT! ;)

Wow, size 4! That is so awesome. I can't even begin to fathom fitting into a size 4. Way to go! :D

Donna, you are right, the music is always blaring in that Ambercrombie and Fitch store. :)
---------

Denise,

I second lisaannjam! You looked great before too!

Congrats!! Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:7

Thank you for posting this Denise. I was going to post "what the heck is HIIT?" haha.

Congratulations. You look awesome. 2 c-sections? You gotta be kidding me! Also, your hair looks more golden/light apricot blonde in that pic. I like that color on you :)

Good for you! Keep up the hard work. I'm with Edie. Not sure ONE of my thighs would fit in that teenie skirt! Not sure I was EVER a size 4. I think I skipped right over that size. ENJOY your new clothes!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Denise - you certainly deserve bragging rights - you look absolutely AMAZING!! Your husband must be one proud papa!! ;)

You're so very inspiring - I've also had 2 c's and am currently a size 10. My goal is a size 6 - can't even fathom a 4!!!

Congratulations! You've worked so hard and it shows! You are just incredibly stunning!! :)

Angie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.