Old School Candy

morgs

Cathlete
It's funny how certain topics can keep a conversation going for hours, but I thought I would share. I was at one of the local Hardware Stores, and they actually have this tower of 'Old School Candy'. Though my sweet tooth is not (as) out of control as when I was little, I still enjoy my candy treats now and then. When I told some of the people that I work with what the Hardware store had there, we launched into a HUGE debate on what the most popular old school candies were. Here are some of the candies we remember.

'Candy Necklaces'
'Wax Lips'
Those wax bottles filled with what I call ' alien ' juice ( what WAS that stuff anyway ? )
'Mallow cups'
'Boston Baked Beans'
'Slow Pokes' ( those carmel lolli pops that can still to this day rip out fillings )
'Pixie Stix'
'Circus Peanuts' ( those orange spongy peanut shaped things)
and my all time favorite 'Lick-a-Stix' Those pouches of pure flavored sugar with that white candy stick you would use to dip in the powder.

Man,,the stuff we ate as kids. Was just a fun topic to talk about. Now,,,,, if I can only keep myself from going back to the Hardware Store and picking some up. :p ( Come on will power,,,don't fail me now )

~Morgs~

We called it penny candy, because, at one time you could get each piece for a penny, have a quarter to spend, gosh!

Red Hot Dollars
Bullseye Carmel Cremes
Bazooka Bubble Gum (not necessarily old school but available)
Jaw Breakers ( the big marble "shooter" size )
Fireballs (popular here I bet ;) )
Mexican Hats ( maybe not politically correct anymore :( )
and
Perennial Favorite: Swedish Fish!

One bag please! Mixed! (that would be a small brown paper bag :D)

Linda

I was more into the See's candies. Mom would get us a box one at Christmas and one at either Easter or Valentine's day. I don't eat that stuff anymore because I really can't stop at one piece. The whole box would be gone in a week and I would have a stomach ache. I really liked the walnut cremes or the marzipan.

It's funny how certain topics can keep a conversation going for hours, but I thought I would share. I was at one of the local Hardware Stores, and they actually have this tower of 'Old School Candy'. Though my sweet tooth is not (as) out of control as when I was little, I still enjoy my candy treats now and then. When I told some of the people that I work with what the Hardware store had there, we launched into a HUGE debate on what the most popular old school candies were. Here are some of the candies we remember.

'Candy Necklaces'
'Wax Lips'
Those wax bottles filled with what I call ' alien ' juice ( what WAS that stuff anyway ? )
'Mallow cups'
'Boston Baked Beans'
'Slow Pokes' ( those carmel lolli pops that can still to this day rip out fillings )
'Pixie Stix'
'Circus Peanuts' ( those orange spongy peanut shaped things)
and my all time favorite 'Lick-a-Stix' Those pouches of pure flavored sugar with that white candy stick you would use to dip in the powder.

Man,,the stuff we ate as kids. Was just a fun topic to talk about. Now,,,,, if I can only keep myself from going back to the Hardware Store and picking some up. :p ( Come on will power,,,don't fail me now )

~Morgs~

Wow you really brought back some old favorites!!! I'm trying to remember.

blowpops
bottle caps
candy cigarettes (what a thing to give a kid)
good and plenty
milk duds
chocolate coins
sweet tarts
juju fruits
gob stoppers
tootsie rolls
gummy bears

No wonder I was at the dentist so much back then!!!! :) Linda

What about Lemon Heads? Oh, how I loved those. Still do, though I rarely ever eat them anymore.

I also love me some circus peanuts. That's some good eatin there. :D

my favorites were wacky wafers and I think they were called marathon bars--they were packaged in a red wrapper. I think it was chocolate covered caramel in a long braided shape. Oh yeah, and charleston chew.

Sixlets!!!!!! and I can somehow still find them at my local grocery store. they seem to have made a small comeback.

Shelby

I'm currently making 150 wedding favor bags out of brown penny candy bags for a friend's wedding on August 7. They're going to have an old school candy buffet bar. :)

Sixlets!!!!!! and I can somehow still find them at my local grocery store. they seem to have made a small comeback.

Shelby

My Word ,it's funny you say that because one of our local gas stations just started getting those again as well! THOSE are hard to stay away from !!

Big League Chew
Gobstoppers
Razzles
Sour Patch Kids
And there was a gum similar to Pop Rocks - the name escapes me now.

Bottle Caps (the root beer flavor especially!)
Charleston Chew
Laffy Taffy
the candy dots on the long paper strips
Pixie Sticks
Bit-o-Honey
Necco Wafers

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.