OK...I bought some flax seed...now what?

lesliew

Cathlete
It's whole. Can I sprinkle it as is onto my oatmeal, cereal, etc., or, do I have to grind it to get all the benefits. I don't have a spice grinder and don't want to buy one. Any advice?

TIA!

Flax seeds need to be ground to get the benefits, otherwise they pass right on through. I take flax seed oil because it takes a lot of flax seeds to get the amount of essential fatty acids that are in the straight oil.

I forgot to mention that when I did grind up flax seeds, I used a coffee grinder. I can't remember how much it was, but I don't think it was very expensive.

Do you have a blender? Many blenders have smaller containers (or the blade can be attached to a small Mason jar). I have a Magic Bullet that I now use to grind my flax. I used to use a coffee grinder, but they are tougher to clean (you can't clean the blade part).

I definitely recommend ground flax seed over flax oil, which doesn't contain the beneficial fiber and is much more prone to going rancid. Also, keep your flax seeds refrigerated or frozen (frozen if you want to keep them a longer time) and only grind what you intend to use in a few days (and keep the ground meal in the fridge).

<I definitely recommend ground flax seed over flax oil, which <doesn't contain the beneficial fiber and is much more prone to going <rancid.

It depends on what you're taking it for. I take the oil because I have eczema on my hands and the oil can be good for skin conditions. I get my fiber from other sources. The oil needs to be refrigerated and should be used within 3 months to keep the benefits of the EFA and to keep it from going rancid.

Warning: Something that I've been told regarding flax seed is that a little goes a long way, whether you're using oil, ground seeds, or whole seeds. The lady at the health food store said that people think that if they use more of it, they'll get even greater benefits -- all they got was sick. I guess with flax seed, less is more!

><I definitely recommend ground flax seed over flax oil, which
> <doesn't contain the beneficial fiber and is much more prone
>to going <rancid.
>
>
>It depends on what you're taking it for. I take the oil
>because I have eczema on my hands and the oil can be good for
>skin conditions. I get my fiber from other sources. The oil
>needs to be refrigerated and should be used within 3 months to
>keep the benefits of the EFA and to keep it from going
>rancid.

Flax seeds also contain fibers and antioxidants that have been shown to have beneficial effects that inhibit breast, prostate and colon cancer. It should be noted that these protective nutrients are only in the whole seed and not present in significant quantities in the oil.

Needless to say, I also prefer the seeds over the oil and grind them in a coffee grinder or Vitamix.

**I should also add that I had eczema on my hands and arms for about 30 or so years of my life so I can empathize. I don't have it at all now and haven't had it for many years. I never used the oil, but I am very glad to hear it is helping you.

Maeghan,

I take a tablespoon of oil once a day. It doesn't taste very good, but I just take it straight, but you can mix it in applesauce or yogurt though. I think applesauce is the best. I actually use one called Udo's oil which has some other oils in it, but is mostly flax seed oil. I had great results from using this for about a year, but last summer I had a really bad episode where my hands were extremely swollen and cracked and I could barely work and unfortunately had to be put on steroids. I'm using the oil again and while my eczema is never totally gone it seems to be keeping it under control again.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.