Off Topic but desperate for help

Worknprogress

Cathlete
Any dentists, dental assistants or hygienists or anyone with knowledge and/or experience with enamel hypoplasia?

Before I go into a long drawn out story about my 6 yr-old DS, just wanting to know if anyone would be willing to share knowledge with me about this.

My DD had this one one of her eye teeth - I thought it was a popcorn kernel stuck on her tooth, but I could not get it off. It did not cause her any pain - just looked not to nice.

The dentist I took her to was wonderful! They just painted a liquid enamel right on the tooth - looked great, no one noticed. And it was a baby tooth, so she is good now - she is 20 and has beautiful teeth!!

Good luck with it!

Michelle

Thanks for responding Michelle. I am glad your daughter only had a small problem.

My DS first lower front incisor came through beautiful and it is perfectly fine. Then the two lower six-year molars came through with enamel hypoplasia. They are malformed and look like they are rotting in his head.

The dentist has worked on them and doing things required to keep them as healthy as possible until they have fully erupted and then he will put stainless steel crowns on them until he is about 18 and will have porcelain crowns put on. That should take care of those.

Much to my dismay, the second lower front incisor came through and it has the enamel hypoplasia. It is not as severe as the molars so it shouldn't need as much work but it is discolored and looks worse every day.

I am finding out that all of his front incisors may have this defect as well as the two other six year molars and I am FREAKING OUT!

We are doing all we can - healthy foods, brushing, fluoride rinses, etc. He is the only kid in school the nurse knows of who has to brush his teeth during school (after lunch) which is a precaution since this defect has caused decay already in the molars which the dentist treated but we don't want further decay until the stainless steel crowns go on which should be in the next couple of months.

But the front teeth are what everyone sees and the world is so judgemental of physical beauty. I don't know what the future holds for his teeth and how they will look but I am a wreck about this for him. Kids can be mean and I don't want him to go through kids poking fun at him.

I am hoping and praying that the rest of the incisors come through healthy but we won't know until they come in. :(

My two upper front teeth have mild hypoplasia. My teeth are very white though, so you can't see it unless you look very closely. It looks like just a very faint white spot on each tooth.

It sounds like your son's case is more severe. If his are more than just white spots, which it sounds like it is, I would suggest cosmetic dentistry. Is there some way they can use temporary veneers on the front teeth for now, and then consider permanent crowns?

Good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.