Oatmeal Substitute

sarahbl

Cathlete
I have wanted to try making protein bars at home but, all the recipes I have found call for oatmeal in the recipe. I am intolerant to oats and wheat, and so forth. What can I use to subsititute the oatmeal?

Thank You!!!

Here is a recipe for protein bars using Quinoa. :)
Homemade Bodybuilding Quinoa Protein Bars - YouTube

If you want a grain-free bar that tastes great....

Chocolate peanut butter bars

1/2 cup pecan meal
1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup flax meal
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 cup Splenda or Xilitol
1 whole egg +2 or 3 egg whites (recipe called for one, but I add extra to make the bars moist)
6 scoops chocolate whey
1/4 tsp salt

Does quinoa make a good substitute for someone who doesn't like oatmeal? I love and eat it all the time, but my bf won't eat oats. This type of recipe sounds guy friendly too.

Does quinoa make a good substitute for someone who doesn't like oatmeal? I love and eat it all the time, but my bf won't eat oats. This type of recipe sounds guy friendly too.

Its definitely different. Remember to rinse the quinoa first. It has a coating on it that is bitter. Put it in a small mesh strainer, rinse under cool water until the water runs clear. Then cook according to the directions or until done (there are lots of easy recipes online.) I like quinoa. Its a different flavor, its not soft or mushy like oatmeal. Its naturally gluten free if you buy it plain. I just buy it in bulk at the co-op. Its usually about 1 1/4 c. of fluid to 1 c. of quinoa. I just bring the fluid to a boil, add the quinoa, bring down to a simmer, it usually takes 15-20 min. Don't make too small a batch, otherwise like rice, it will burn. There is a natural crunchy tail that never gets soft, its just nice to chew. I like to cook mine with low sodium, organic chicken broth or thinned out apple juice. Its great in soup, as a side dish, or with legumes for a great vegan meal. You can cook it savory, sweet, or just plain. It can take on any flavor. It won't behave like oats in a recipe. You can't just throw it as a substitute without remembering to cook it (unless the recipe is written for quinoa.) it will need fluid to hydrate.

I love quinoa. :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.