Nutrition Advice

RBurke

Okay girls and boys I have a challenging question or two. I eat a fairly healthy diet. However, I probably eat too much suger. I don't eat candy bars and such but I have instant oatmeal every morning (raisins and spice) and stuff like that. I am trying to figure out new foods to eat that are high in fiber and low in fat and suger. I don't like artifical sweeteners. I need mostly snack and breakfast ideas. I do well on my bigger meals. I always eat breakfast at work where we have a microwave and a toaster oven. Also, how can I work in flax seeds and more soy?
I can't eat straight cottage cheese under any circumstances but I can eat it with that sugary fruit stuff that comes in the doubles. I also can't eat plain yougurt. I commend all of you that can but I just can't. I gag. So, any advice on what to eat would be appreciated.

How about:

Hi fiber cereal (Shredded Wheat or NutriGrain)
Soy milk
Blueberries
Handful of almonds

Smoothie-milk, tofu, frozen strawberries with 1 slice ww toast.

oatmeal with flax seed, chopped apple.

ww english muffin or toast
low fat or fat free cream cheese
fresh fruit sliced on top (peach, strawberries, apple, banana)
(Could use peanut butter instead of cream cheese)

Snacks:
Peach smoothie-soy milk, peach, fat free frozen yogurt. (I'd use sugar free)

Trail Mix-dry roasted peanuts, dried cherries (or raisins), Shredded wheat.

Orange Julius-oj, fat free yogurt, vanilla extract

I got these ideas from the latest Prevention "Fit and Firm" and just "tweaked" a couple. There are some good ideas in the latest issue.

HTH. Robin.

Hi!
Instead of instant oatmeal, could you eat the old fashioned oats instead. I put a half cup of Quaker Oats in a microwave safe Tupperware container and then at work I add water (actually,hot water, we have one of those hot shot faucets in the lounge that contains boiling water). Microwave for 3 minutes or so, just watch it closely as it tends to expand in the microwave and can overflow--you just have to open the door, give it a stir, and continue nukeing. I add a teaspoon of peanut butter and some dried cranberries and a packet of sweet and low. I know you don't like artifical sweeteners, so you could use regular sugar but chances are you still would not be adding as much as the instant oatmeal has.

Have you tried Kashi cereal? High in fiber and low in sugar. You can have it with soy milk. If you don't use flaxseeds, you can also use flax oil. I add it to my oatmeal--it has kind of a nutty flavor so it goes well. I only use a teaspoon at a time so I can keep the fat in check. I also only eat whole wheat bread, whole wheat pancakes, etc.

Generally, as long as you are eating whole foods, even fruit, you can pretty much keep your sugar intake in check. It is the added sugars that you need to watch out for. It is far better to get sugar from a piece of dried fruit or regular fruit than it is to get it from a bowl of Count Chocula!

In the morning I eat a concoction of 1/4 cup cooked oatmeal (regular oatmeal, not instant), mix 1/2 cup cottage cheese plus 1/4 cup plain lowfat yogurt, layer on top of oatmeal and top with 1/4 cup frozen blueberries (put blueberries in microwave for a few seconds to warm up).

Or 3/4 cup cottage cheese, 1/4 cup yogurt mixed together. Cut up 1 apple, nuke in microwave until soft, add to cottage cheese mixture, top with cinnamon and a few almond slivers.

1 waffle, 1/2-3/4 cup cottage cheese on top with 1/4 cup frozen blueberries warmed in microwave

Breakfast Banana Split: 3/4 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 medium banana, split 4 ways, 1/4 cup crushed pineapple in juice, 1/4 cup strawberries sliced, 1/4 cup blueberries frozen (warmed up). Layer like banana split

Or I cook eggs the night before and make an egg burrito with 1 whole egg, 2 egg whites, lowfat cheese and 1/4 cup black beans wrapped in a small tortilla.

Fake Egg McMuffin: 1 english muffin, 1 egg poached, 1 slice fatfree cheese, 1 slice lowfat canadian bacon

Colleen

PS Just sharing the recipes, not ones I've created myself

Hi RBurke! You could try 2 multi-grain waffles topped w/applesauce. Waffles are loaded w/fiber, excellent way to start the day. Also try using Quaker regular instant oatmeal & put 1 Tbsp. of ground flaxseed & raisins or cinnamon to it. For a snack I'll eat 1/2 cantaloupe & a kiwi topped w/plain yogurt & low-fat cranberry muesli. The other ladies gave you some other great ideas so enjoy & happy eating!! Best, Kathy

Continental Yogurt - its non fat and sugar free, it is sweetened with fruit juice and the fruit that is in it. I have hypoglycemia and I can eat this yogurt with no sugar crashes. Its very good, and also is thick unlike most non-fat yogurts.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.