number of risers on mini step

WRITER

Cathlete
I noticed that Muscle Endurance uses six risers plus the platform for leg presses, while Boot Camp and High Step Training use five. Was this reduction made for safety reasons? Thanks.

Cathe has said when doing leg presses your leg on the high step should be at 90 degrees when flexed. That's how you judge how many risers to add. I don't think it was a reduction for safety reasons, since Cathe uses six risers for leg presses in several of her workouts. I'm only guessing here, but given the fact HSTA and BC are workouts which have a lot more going on than simply strength training, she decided to use five risers in those. I often vary the number of risers depending on the overall workout and how strong or not-so-strong I feel that day.

Maybe Cathe will see this and answer herself?

Carol
:)

I assume the reduction was made simply for variety. If you do the same move in exactly the same way every time, there is more risk of repetitive stress injuries. Because of that, I plan to change the height of my high step in HSTA (which has a LOT of step-ups in) so that I do 1 set at maybe 12" with weights, one set at 10"with a little heavier weight, one set at 14" with no weights, etc. to change the angle of stress on the knee.

I already have the firm high step & I wonder if it will be sturdy enough to use with the HSTA dvd. Somehow, it doesn't look like it is. If I use my STEP bench with additional risers will that work? Does anyone know if the additional risers for the high step fit the original step?

Thanks for any info. My HSTA should arrive in a few days.

Smoogy

The risers do fit the original step, and yes that works just fine. I did it that way for months until the high step became available.:)

No, the extra riser just makes it more challenging for strength training purposes. If you can do so comfortably, try to use the same height that Cathe uses. Of course, for anyone who is significantly shorter than Cathe (unlikely because she is 5'2"), then it may make sense to modify.

OOPS, sorry. Just realized this question was posted on the "Ask Cathe" board and I answered rather authoritatively. I really don't know what Cathe would say, and I can only hope that she would agree with my response.

Maybe it is because both BC and HSTA use the high step for tricep dips and need it a hair lower to avoid overextension.

Just a thought.
Shopgirl

Oh my gosh, I was just going to post this question over on the Ya Yas board. Thanks for the help. But now I want another riser!! I only got 5 with my order.

DD

>I already have the firm high step & I wonder if it will be
>sturdy enough to use with the HSTA dvd. Somehow, it doesn't
>look like it is. If I use my STEP bench with additional risers
>will that work? Does anyone know if the additional risers for
>the high step fit the original step?
>
>Thanks for any info. My HSTA should arrive in a few days.
>
>
>Smoogy

Smoogy, I use my Firm wooden step for step ups all the time. I also use extra risers on my original club step and that works, too!
:)

Thank you all for your responses! I have just been following what Cathe uses, and it does lend variety to the workouts. I must say, after doing ME with 6 risers, 5 seems easier (guess I should increase the weight....). By the way, I did use the firm High Step ("Fanny Lifter") with Cathe's leg presses before I got her mini-step. Thanks again for the posts.

I do use the Firm's plastic 14" high step for Cathe's leg presses & have done so since I switched over to her workouts. However, I was concerned that it wouldn't be sturdy enough for HSTA because of the fast foot agility footwork or like the straddle taps. It seems like it would slip or disengage. Does anyone know?

I have yet to try it out since I haven't received my HSTA. They sent me the wrong DVD by mistake:-( .

Thanks for your feedback though.

Smoogy

I use the Firm's plastic 14" high step for HSTA. It isn't a problem for slipping bec during the high intensity sections, you only use the 8"inch portion of the high step. It does work for me and I have not had a problem. The straddle taps aren't bad, bec you are really supposed to be light on the foot that actually taps the step. However, I would like to get the new mini step. Depending on how the mini step is used in the new videos - I will make my decision then.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.