Now I am angry...

Yes, there were tax incentives. There still might be, I'm not sure, but if there are, corporations seem to know that these incentives won't be around for much longer. For example, Intel announced last month that they are going to build a $6 billion new plant in Oregon; they have plants all over the world, and it is costing them more to build it in the U.S. than overseas, but the political winds have shifted, and somehow they've figured out that investing in the U.S. is in their best interest.

Thanks Bobbi, that sounds promising.

Made in the USA

Does anyone else remember when Wal-Mart only sold Made in the USA products? It was like their slogan or something. What if Wal-Mart went back to that - can you imagine? the largest retailer selling only made in the US products. Now THAT would be a huge, huge impact.

If goods and services were all sourced out of the US, the collective impact to our cost of living would be very high. I think most Americans would take great issue with having to pay more for everything from phone service to cars and consumer goods.

Similar to factory farming (IMO) - the average consumer doesn't want to pay more for eggs from chickens that are actually cared for humanely. (just using eggs as an example, here, not trying to imply ANYTHING about Eggland's or Cathe) :)

I think another problem is that a lot of people simply don't have enough money to pay for more expensive things. If you are on a tight budget with kids to put through college and you are barely squeaking by, most naturally they go as cheap as they can. Especially with so many out of work, some folks simply don't have a choice.

Then there are the few that can buy a crazy stereo system, but can't afford to put veggies on the table. :)

He's over in India trying to create 50,000 new jobs for Americans. Offshoring has been going on for YEARS. As someone who works in a global business, I welcome the input of our Indian team.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.