non yoga stretching/flexibility videos

asianj

hello,

i'm in a major need of an exercise video that is good for stretching and improving ones flexibility

i have recently started to work out and find that i'm very sore and tight after working out

what helped me was stretching but i need a good video because i dont know a lot of stretches and like following videos, the only thing is that i dont like yoga or pilates-i just need a good total body stretching/flexibility video

thanks in advance
joanna

You may want to go to Collage.com and look under the section for stretching videos. Off the top of my head I know that Karen Voight, Tamilee Webb, and Madeleine Lewis all have stretching videos that are more based on athletic stretches vs. yoga/pilates.

HTH,
Sabine

I have a couple of athletic stretching videos I really like and can recommend:

-Denise Austin's Stretch & Flex (dated, but a good stretch), it's 30 minutes and stretches both upper and lower body.

-Tamilee's Stretch For Flexibility and Total Body Stretch (2 separate workouts), each are 30 minutes, one is a full 30 min stretch that starts with upper body and ends with lower body. The other video is divided into 3-10min stretching segments (standing, sitting, floor)

-Charlene Prickett's Homestretch (long, thorough stretch), this one is 55 min of stretching, but you stretch every single muscle from your neck to your shins. And it's very informative as Charlene explains the muscle groups as you're holding the stretch.

I didn't care for the Karen Voight Pure and Simple stretch video, she was just a bit stiff for me, both her attitude and her moves, so I personally didn't care for it, but the 4 above are good stretching videos that are of the athletic variety rather than "yoga inspired."

Donna
Fitness~ It's a journey, not a race!

"Millenium Stretch" by Scott Cole is supposed to be very good, but I have never tried it so cannot vouch for it personally.

Clare

Joyce Vedral has a new stretch tape. It is 30 minutes and basic, athletic stretches. I like it because there is no yoga or pilates - I alternate this one with yoga and pilates. This is a good one when you want to add on a stretch after an intense workout but your body just doesn't have the energy for complicated poses.

You can only get this one at her website.

I like Autonomy Stretch. I got it from www.graveyardmall.com; I'm not sure if they are still selling those. You could get them from the swap cheap.

It has 3 segments - floor, standing and solo stretch (all are solo anyway). Each is about 10 mins long. I think the standing one is divided up upper/lower body. It's a great stretch tape for tacking at the end of your workout.

There is a new DVD with two stretch routines by Miranda Esmonde-White. One is Classical Stretch, the other is Stretching for Athletes. Each is 50 minutes long. Her method is very different from other tapes I've done. The moves are based on ballet and yoga. Part of the stretches are done using a chair or barre. (I used the arm of my sofa.) The stretches are done in steps and are repeated. None of them are held more than 5 or 6 seconds. Although many of the stretches are based on yoga, they are done in a "friendlier" way. One of her goals is to prevent injury. The stretches were developed to complement the muscle development from athletics and strength training.

I did the Athletes stretch after Mindy's Awesome Intervals and it was a great combination. I'm not very flexible to begin with and a leg injury that I'm not fully recovered from has resulted in certain positions being extremely difficult for me. I found the stretches worked well with my limited range of motion. I also did not have any pain, which I have had with some of the yoga stretches.

This new stretch DVD sounds good, although I prefer to do stretching as an 'add on' after cardio (for 10 minutes or so). Although these workouts are 50 minutes long, what is the chaptering like? Is it possible to do the workout in 10 minute sections?

Thanks,
Kirsty:)

Unfortunately, the DVD does not have chapters, so you would have to fast forward. However, the stretch routine is divided up into standing/sitting/barre stretches that could be done separately. The Athletes part has a separate section for groin and hamstring stretches.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.