no animal protein

kariev

Cathlete
so i have read a lot about how great people feel when they stop eating animal proteins (chicken, beef, pork, turkey, eggs, etc.) i actually was considering this and wanted to know who does it and how did you start doing it? did you just go cold turkey or did you slowly cut back? what were the changes you saw and felt doing this? i do a higher protein diet but i always feel tired and was wondering if it could contribute to the animal proteins i'm eating since that is where i get most of my protein. i have a good amount of complex carbs so thats not it and i sleep pretty well.

I recently went vegetarian - exactly 30 days ago - and I am loving it - dropped another pant size, have way more energy, etc. I get plenty of protein from natural sources.

I cut out meat cold turkey, but doing it "gradually" works better for some. If you are serious about it, I would really recommend getting the book "Becoming Vegetarian" and reading up on it. It goes through everything nutrition-wise - how to get enough protein, b-12, etc... It is possible to be a very unhealthy vegetarian, so a little reading and planning will really help. Otherwise, you could actually find yourself getting even weaker without the right nutrition.

I first cut out beef and pork, not that I ever cared for either much anyway. I read along time ago that the taste of Pork is the closest thing to human flesh which is enough of a turn-off. Then I cut out chicken, and then fish.

Next to go was milk. And then eggs (which always gave me gas anyway).

All of this was extremely easy.

Then came the hard part ... cheese. ;(

You see, cheese (especially imported gourment cheese) and I had a long time relationship and I used to indulge quite frequently. Then I realized that if I really wanted to drop those last few pounds and get rid of some cellulite, dairy had to go completely. Amazingly my skin (which use to break out all the time) miraculously cleared up as well.

I mostly eat a diet consisting of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, rice and beans - so I can get plenty of fiber, iron, calcium, protein, minerals and vitamins - all without the added cholestrol, unhealthy fats and toxic acidicity of animal foods.

I also buy a really good protein/vitamin shake called "Spirutine" which comes in a variety of flavors at the health food store. It's made with soy protein instead of whey (milk). I mix the powder with soy or rice milk and usually throw in a banana and some berries. Taste wonderful, and really fills me up! :9

>All of this was extremely easy.
>
>Then came the hard part ... cheese. ;(
>
>You see, cheese (especially imported gourment cheese) and I
>had a long time relationship and I used to indulge quite
>frequently.

Yup. Cheese is the hardest thing for me. I [font color=red]*heart*[/font] cheese. :9 I will probably never be able to give it up completely. After all, what's a pizza without cheese??? (Just bread and with tomato sauce!) ;)

The fact is, I live in small town midwest USA, and being completely vegan is neither practical nor affordable in this area. I do the best I can with the resources available to me. Giving up meat was a snap - I didn't even miss it. Giving up eggs and dairy are more tricky - I can cut them out pretty easily when I'm cooking at home (which is most of the time), but if I'm dining out, or traveling, I can't be as picky, or I'll starve.

I've also been interested in this. My DH and I eat very little meat. Maybe once or twice a week. I love seafood and milk/cheese, however. Do you think that keeping just fish and milk and cutting all other animal protein back would make a difference? I also notice that after a meal of meat (like when we grilled out this past weekend), I feel tired, bloated and generally hung over the next day. I've really been giving this thought after hearing about Alicia Silverstone's transformation. She looks great!

I have been cutting out meat from my diet as well and have cut out milk entirely (it was easy since I've never really liked it--I have always preferred soy milk). I am not going to beat myself up though if I have dairy. I am just trying to cut back and if I end up giving it up entirely than great! But if not, I'm perfectly happy. I love cheese waaaay too much to give it up but am trying to pick and choose when and where I eat it. For example, I may have pizza with cheese (because as another poster mentioned, what's pizza without cheese?! :)) but you won't see me adding it to a salad or sandwich.

I feel better already without the meat. It's more work, but well worth it!

Allison

>Do you think that keeping just fish and
>milk and cutting all other animal protein back would make a
>difference?

Yes! Absolutely yes! I am a firm believer that every little change makes a difference and that vegetarianism does not have to be an all or nothing proposition. :)

Stephanie - I think every little bit helps. I haven't had fish since going Vegetarian, but I doubt I will go the rest of my life without any seafood ever. Now chicken, beef, pork, I can totally live without. As far as milk, eggs, butter, sour cream, mayo - I am perfectly happy with the vegan alternatives. In fact I like veganaise better than regular mayo. But then we come to cheese.... I highly doubt I will ever completely cut out cheese. I may lower my consumption, but completely cutting it out just isn't going to happen.

It really depends on your motive for cutting out the animal products too. If you are doing it for health reasons, then cutting out the majority, but having a few indulgences/exceptions here and there isn't such a big deal. If you are going vegetarian/vegan for moral or environment beliefs, then you are more apt to feel that you have to cut everything out.

I think everyone has to find the level they are comfortable with. There is a wide range from people who just eat fish to people who will not wear leather or take a pill that is coated with gelatin because it is made from animal products.

I am a firm believer that every little
>change makes a difference and that vegetarianism does not have
>to be an all or nothing proposition. :)

Well said. I completely agree. It doesn't have to be cut and dry (at least not for me). For some people it does, though and that's fine. Do what you can and what makes you happy.

Allison

Thanks Ev. Good to know. I've always been an "all-or-nothing" kind of person, and I've really had to change my way of thinking. I'm trying to now be a "most-everything-in-moderation" type of person.

I went vegetarian cold-turkey back in 1976, and have not knowingly eaten a mammel/aquatic creature/bird since then. I still ate dairy and eggs for a while, but not much, and went vegan around 1992. I've been vegetarian for so long, I can't remember how it felt to transition to not eating animal flesh, and my transition to veganism was rather gradual, so I didn't notice much, though my allergy problems definitely lessened after I gave up dairy.

Your sluggishness could be from eating too much protein and not enough carbohydrates, or sleeping 'pretty well,' but not soundly enough. Or too many carbohydrates from grains (especially wheat), and not enough from veggies?

According to many sports nutritionists, protein intake should be about 1 gram per kilo (2.2 pounds) of body weight (a little less than .5 gram per pound of body weight). Mike Mahler is a vegan sports and conditioning trainer and kettlebell expert, and this is also what he recommends. Here's an article from him: http://www.grapplearts.com/Vegan-diet-for-size.htm

HTH!

>Then came the hard part ... cheese. ;(
>

There actually is a physiological reason why cheese is so hard for many people to give up. It contains naturally occuring 'caseinomorphins,' which have addictive qualities to them, much like their distant cousin, morphine, does.

There are definitely an infinte variety of healthy plant-based diets possible, including some that incorporate small amounts of animal products (if one is just talking about the health perspective and not ethical vegetarianism). The more plant foods you include in your diet, the better. Limiting your animal product consumption to milk and fish (though watch the type of fish, and go for wild salmon and others that don't have mercury or other polutants in) is much healthier than a diet of cow and pig flesh.

> I am a firm believer that every little
>change makes a difference and that vegetarianism does not have
>to be an all or nothing proposition. :)

(I agree, with one caveat: a 'vegetarian' diet doesn't include fish.;-) So eat what you will, but if you eat fish, or chicken or any other flesh, please don't call yourself a vegetarian. Thanks!)

Kat, I can always depend on you for nutrition answers. I had no idea about the addictive ingredients in cheese. How do you know all this stuff? I'm not a huge cheese-freak, though I like my Low-Fat Lauging Cow wedges. I really enjoy drinking milk, though. I would love to become a full-fledged "vegetarian." I love the ethical basis behind it. I had cut out most meat until I got pregnant with my boys and for some reason I craved beef. (Like Phoebe on Friends.) I've since not had much of it. I like the vegan alternatives out there -- soy crumbles in chilie, soy meatballs (SOOOO good), etc. But there's really no substitue for shrimp and scallops and tilapia. YUM! More important than the title, I just want to be as healthy as possible. I bet you're right about the sluggishness due to lack of the proper carbs. I get the bulk of my carbs from grains and not enough veggies. Thanks for the info!! And thanks to karlev for this post. Very informative!

I recently cut waayyyyyy back on the animal protein, less dairy.
More beans, fruits, greens, grains...the way I like to eat.

It's been liberating, to say the least. I'm not binge eating like I was eating cottage cheese, chicken, tuna, etc every day.

The dairy is kind of tough for me, too. If I never see chicken, turkey, etc again, I'd be fine. Cheese. Well, that's a slow one.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.