New Year for me w/ Cathe.....rotation question

stephanie932

Cathlete
Hi everyone.....It's New Year's Day and all I can think about is what Cathe's I need to buy and how to use them in a rotation....lol

That being said...here's my question/problem that I need some advice on. I want to start a rotation w/ Cathe for January. I have Basic Step/Body Fusion and High Step Circuit (intermediate). I printed off the rotation that Cathe gave for those 2 dvds. I guess I want to know if this will be good for me when I have been doing Firm workouts, since August, 6 days a week (but still have 30lbs. to lose). Even this week between Christmas and New Years, I've done Cathe almost 2 times a day for 5 days or did Cathe and incorporated other cardio with it in the same day. Once school starts back (I'm a teacher), I won't be able to continue with the 2 workouts a day except for Sat. and Sun.

I also just got Super Sets, Push Pull, PUB and PLB but am waiting for my barbell to arrive (scheduled to be here the 4th-7th). Oh, and I preordered LowMax. So....should I just do the beginner/intermediate rotation and get a solid base for Cathe before adding in the other 4 that I have or should I incorporate the other ones into that rotation?

And......any suggestions for what dvd to move to next? I'm considering the Classics for the more basic step workouts and Vol. 1 of Body Blast with SJP and Step Blast.

Sheesh......I think that is more than 1 question for you all....sorry I tend to get long winded when explaining things. I guess I just want to give you all the information you would need to advise me.

Thanks again to all of you .... the past week I've asked many questions or posted here and you make a newbie feel very welcomed! :)

~Stephanie~

"Happiness is knowing what you are doing next without me saying it!" - Cathe

I think you have a pretty good selection for an intermediate. SJP & SB should be a next great DVD to buy. Just modify if you feel you need to. They are both fun. Don't forget to use the premixes on all the workouts you do have to vary it.

By all means, when your barbell comes in start doing PP/SS. Just adjust the weight to your level of fitness. You'll get more gains if you really keep your body guessing. Don't worry if you have to slow down the tempo or not jump as high or whatever you need to do to modify if its too much. I think if you've been doing the Firm since Aug, you should have a pretty good baseline. Alot of us started with the Firm before discovering Cathe.

Did I answer all your questions?

Marla

Here's a thread you might be interested in.
http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?...ic_id=35285&mesg_id=35285&listing_type=search

Cathe posted a fitness plan for someone who wanted to lose 20-30 pounds. Its quite detailed.
It sounds like you have lots of enthusiasm and motivation so that will surely get you far! You might combine the rotation for intermediates that Cathe posted with this plan.

One thing I would add: push yourself as hard as you can while you are exercising, be sure you are taking off at least one day for rest or stretch/walk, and be sure to mix in your favorite workouts to keep your motivation high.

Okay, Marla.......this is probably a really stupid question....but what do you mean by "the premixes"? The mix and match section or dvds that are like timesaver? I have been modifing quite a bit and am surprised that I have to as much as I am. Apparently, I am not in as good of shape as I thought I was. I do have to remember that I have come a long way (190 when I started, 165 now) and that I'll definitely get better. I think you did answer all my questions...TY very much!

~Stephanie~

Amy.....TY TY TY.....I did read that thread right away. I just am no where close to having all Cathe's workouts. I bookmarked the page so I can refer to it as I get more.

One thing I'm confused about as far as "pushing myself hard". Someone on another thread mentioned that in order to burn fat..you should work out using a heart rate monitor and never go above 75%-80% of your heart rate. I've been trying to do this but when I do, I know I can push much, much harder. Apparently, if you work harder than that (I hit 93% easily the first time I did Body Fusion) you are burning only carbohydrates and not fat. I'm trying to figure out if that is true or not. So, I'll just keep on experimenting.

TY, Amy for all of your suggestions......I appreciate it!

~Stephanie~

Premixes are different "edits" on the full workout DVDs. For instance, Step Blast and Step Jump Pump DVD has the regular two workouts and then it has a section called "Quick select premixes" which has about 12 other workouts using sections from these two workouts. They are probably listed out somewhere, but basically it has some with circuits of weights and step, hi lo floor work and step, all step from both workouts, etc. etc.

As for as my comment about working hard as you can, I mean that a great many people do not push themselves. They sort of have a mindset of "work out and stay comfortable." I used to have a misconception that I should see a lot of fitness gains because I am a dedicated exerciser. Dedication is a very good thing, but dedication in itself does not improve your fitness level once you get to a certain point. Certainly, you don't want to overdo it in the heart rate area! I don't mean to encourage you to be unsafe, of course! :)

Just raise the bar whenever you find that you are a little bit too comfortable. :) Good luck to you and welcome to this forum!

TY once again, Amy!!!! I never knew that was on the dvds. They must not be on the 2 new beginner ones.

I understand your comment completely on the pushing yourself.....and ty for that great bit of advice! I'll remember that!

Now I can't wait to look at the premixes.....lol

~Stephanie~

Hi Stephanie. Hopefully Amy answered your question with the quick select premixes. You also have the Mix Match feature if you want to do your own thing. I tend to get less creative though. I do hope your Basic step DVD does have these premixes added. I assumed all of Cathe's new workouts would. The HSTA which is part of this series has the premixes. SJP/SB has great premixes too. So if you were to purchase these, they should keep you busy.

Don't be afraid to go a little further each time. Eventually you'll get to the point where you can do the entire workout without any modification. I admire that you would rather modify than just throw in the towel & not workout. Obviously you have made incredible progress which is nothing to sneeze at.:)

Marla

Hi Stephanie, hopefully Amy answered your question about the premixes. I assume yours has these premixes too as I thought all of Cathe's newer workouts all have them. SB/SJP also have great premixes albeit, tough.

Don't worry about having to modify so much. Eventually you'll be able to do an entire workout without modifying. Just remember to push yourself a little harder & further each time. I admire that you would rather modify than throw in the towel. You've obviously have made tremendous progress & that is nothing to sneeze at.:)

Marla

Oops! I thought I had lost this post. Sorry for the double.

Amy, as long as you're working out, you're goin to burn calories. It used to be a belief that to burn fat, you have to stay in the 60% to 70% target heart rate. Don't worry about that. A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. You'll lose weight.

Check out this site http://www.heartzone.com/education/index.shtml and click The Meaning of the Five Heart Zones & also click Warning: Fat Burning Programs Can Keep You Fat. They are on the right side of the screen.

Marla

Hi, Marla,
That was a very interesting article! I've found that to be true for sure! I spent a couple of years working out at a very moderate level with not much change in my body. This is my "Cathe anniversary" and I have spent the last year trying to work up to being able to do her rotations for advanced exercisers. THAT has made a HUGE difference! Another thing I have tried to do is reduce my time for a 1 mile run and a 2 mile run over the last year. I've only timed it once a month and have focused on training with videos in between. Too much running hurts my hip. Anyway, I was at a 10-11 minute mile last January and yesterday I ran 6:50. (Not breaking any world records or anything but certainly measurable progress! I've got a little bit of an uphill run in there, too.) Those things are my markers of fitness and focusing on real fitness gains instead the science of losing fat is much more satisfying for me.
Losing fat is a great bonus, however! :) Strangers have asked me about my workout routines and they are always suprised when I tell them I do videos at home.
BTW- are you the Marla in Plano, TX? That's where I am, too.
Amy

TY both Amy and smoogy.......You guys were great to answer all my questions. Amy, I will workout hard....no doubt about that.

I will also have to check out BS/BF now for premixes....I didn't think there were any. Since you guys have posted.....silly me has also ordered the Timesaver dvd and preordered MuscleMax to go with LowMax that I also preordered. I have to stop ordering....lol

I have plenty to keep me busy. And the first rotation w/ the BS/BF and HSC is all I need for a month.

Just one more question.....if I may? I'm going to use Cathe's rotation....I read somewhere on here to use her rotations because they are very effective. Do you tend to do that or follow your own rotation?

TY again!

~Stephanie~

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.