New study: working out on empty stomach

ageleg

Cathlete
I have lurked so long on this forum and want to say hello and thanks to all the wonderful and interesting ladies/men on this site!

Anyway, I hope this is not a repeated thread, but has anyone seen this new story/study?

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/health&id=7477473

June 3, 2010 (WLS) -- Running on empty could mean better results for your body.

Several studies now suggest exercising while your body is low on fuel may be a good way to trim excess fat.

European researchers found the cyclists who trained without eating burned significantly more fat than their counterparts who ate.

Muscles usually get their energy from carbohydrates. But if you haven't eaten before exercising your body does not have many carbs in reserve. Scientists say that forces it to burn fat instead.

But other experts warn against doing too much exercise on an empty stomach. They say you may burn fat, but you'll also lack energy.

What are your thoughts? I have always worked out on an empty stomach (even with the Shaun T Insanity series) and have been very successful in keeping off weight gain. It has never felt right to eat before I exercise, but I know everyone is different.

I always work out on a partially empty to empty stomach. If I don't I usually end up feeling nauseated and get a side cramp, or get that great sloshing feeling.
Shelby

LOL! 'Sloshy feeling!' That is a great description of that feeling in your stomach when you try to jump around after eating. I sometimes find that I also have too much of a 'sugar surge' and feel light headed if I eat the wrong thing before I workout.

I'm the opposite

I cannot workout on an empty stomach. If I am starting to feel hungry and I work out, inevitably at some point in the workout I feel lightheaded and weak. I don't push myself as hard because of this and then I feel like the workout was a waste of time.

Kristin

I'm w/Kristin; if I don't eat a little something, it's difficult to get thru an entire workout. Did that this a.m.; forgot my protein drink & boy did I feel it - but I did my best & made mental note for tomorrow morning. Everyone's body is different & you have to do what works for you.

I run on an empty stomach in the morning, but it's much harder to get through the workout then at night after my body has been fueled up all day. I also worry a little bit about my muscles if I do a really intense workout on empty. Yeah, sure i'm burning fat, but is my body grabbing at any of my muscle with it?

I'm w/Kristin; if I don't eat a little something, it's difficult to get thru an entire workout. Did that this a.m.; forgot my protein drink & boy did I feel it - but I did my best & made mental note for tomorrow morning. Everyone's body is different & you have to do what works for you.

I'm with you two....I need to be properly fueled AND hydrated before starting an intense workout or I'll get light-headed and dizzy. I also agree that everyone is different and should do what works best for them.

I don't work out in the morning, so I couldn't say either way, but I wonder what Cathe thinks of this... Cathe if you're out there, could you give us your professional opinion? :)

Hi Nicole! These studies come and go and my personal and professional opinion is to do what works best for you. By now you will definitely have discovered if you need a more, less or just a few calories before a workout. Some people feel way too lightheaded on no calories, some feel great as long as the workout doesn't go beyond 45 to 60 minutes, some need to be well fueled but with proper digestion time (so you are not slish sloshing away ;)). For me, I can workout on an empty stomach in the morning (but only if I workout within 30 to 45 minutes of waking, otherwise I do start to get hungry) but never in the afternoon. In the afternoon or evening I need a light meal about 75 to 90 minutes before I workout.

Listen to your body....dizziness and lack of focus or hitting the wall are all signs of being depleted.

Burping, bloating, cramping (sometimes side stiches) are signs of eating too close to your workout and or not being digested enough.

Having energy, feeling just right rather than digestively distracted, or dizzy or headachey are usually signs you are right on track with your pre workout meal.

But after 90 minutes most people will start to fatigue regardless of what they ate, so be aware that for longer workouts, you may need to have a light sip(s) of an energy drink as you get well into your workout.

Hope this helps!

I think scientifically it may very well be true, but I know personally I need to eat something before working out, I seem to tire out too easily if I don't, and I guess I would burn less calories overall if I did not eat. Ideally when I workout at night, I like to have something about 1 to 1.5 hours before a workout. If I workout first thing in the morning, I have coffee and a piece of fruit.

I wake up 30-45 minutes before working out during the week. I have my coffee and "wake up" and can do my w/o no problem on an empty stomach.

On the weekends I get up later but my body is still on weekday timing so it wants food faster! That being said I don't w/o on weekends until after breakfast.

If I am working out in the evening (after work), I prefer to have a small snack first or I will get too hungry too fast.

It has never felt right to eat before I exercise, but I know everyone is different.

To me, this is the key. What I do will depend on how I am feeling. Normally when I workout first thing in the morning I don't need a pre-workout snack. If I wait until the evening/afternoon to workout, then my body often craves some fuel before my exercise. But it is not set in stone for me to do it this way.

All of these "studies" with their conflicting results can make your head spin! :confused: Listen to your body. It knows best.

Ninety-nine percent of the time I exercise on an empty stomach. For me, an empty stomach doesn't mean that I'm starving or lacking energy. There have been times though where I waited too long to eat and got so hungry that I put off the workout until later in the day.

I have found that if I exercise in the afternoon, I need to be sure to have my mid-afternoon snack. I also found that certain foods make me draggy during my workout, so I have to be careful what I have before working out after work.

I've been working out at 5 a.m. for the last month, going on 2, and can get a good workout in on an empty stomach. I just need a glass of water before getting started and I'm good to go!

I have found that, although I hate getting up so early (not a morning person at all!), that I have more energy for my workout than I do most evenings right after work. Stressful days make it hard to get a good workout in late in the day.

Those being my only 2 options, I'd rather grumble my way downstairs in the morning and get my workout in every day and a good one at that!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.