New Steel cut oats fan!

I know, I know, it took me long enough! They are soooo good, I loved the barley like quality of them. I had mine with some yogurt and a bit of maple syrup. I'll put some apples and raisins in it tonight for my late supper. A yummy winter's night comfort food:9 :9

I tried to love the Kashi cereals that many of you love so much but they just didn't do it for me. I'm glad that I finally tried steel cut oats after years of hearing how much you all love them, now if I could just wrap my head around the whole tempeh thing:+ :7 .....:D

Take Care
Laurie:)

They ARE good, aren't they Laurie?! I had mine this morning with a tsp of raw sugar, almond slivers, cinnamon, cardomone and soy milk. Then I loaded it down with strawberries and blackberries. YUM!!!

I also love dried cranberries and walnuts - there are so many ways to eat these! Enjoy your new found passion and rejoice that it's a healthy one!

Oh Christine, that sounds heavenly!:9 I'll definitely put some of that in mine tonight:9 Thanks!

I just love talking about food!!:7

Take Care
Laurie

Laurie - I'm the same way! DH laughs at me because I'll be eating one meal and planning my next. And I read recipes books as if they are novels... No wonder I can't drop that last 20 pounds!

Ok, WHERE in the supermarket do you find these???? I have looked and looked and can only find the rolled oats kind. I am sure I must be looking in the wrong place. Like the cookie aisle.

Kidding, I'm kidding!

Seriously, though, any help appreciated.

Marie

Marie - you can find them with the regular oatmeal at my store. They call them Irish oats. McCann's is one brand.

Yes, they are yummy!! A friend of mine got me hooked on it a while ago & there are so many ways to enjoy it! I get mine in the *organic* section at Kroger.

Happy eating, Laurie! ;-)

Here's a recipe I made a while ago from Cooking Light that has steel cut oats in it. Oats & Buttermilk snack cake. You can change the ingredients a bit to make it *cleaner* & it's soooo good! (my kids loved it too w/ some PB & honey on top!)

http://food.cookinglight.com/cookin...playRecipe&recipe_id=388849&package_id=389055

Marie, does your grocery store have a bulk food section? That's where mine puts the steel cut oats. Or check out a natural food store.

I found mine in the organic section in publix,i hate it that walmart doen't sell them,I have to make a special trip to publix and purchase my irish oats,flaxseeds whole,and peanut wonder.They also carrier the "no pudge" brownies,that Im triing this weekend!

I live in the middle of nowwhere, walmart, pulbix,and piggly wiggly are the only "grocery" stores around here!

Amy:)

Amy -- I love the no pudge brownies!!! They are fat free and wonderful. They are very fudgy -- not cake like at all.

RE: Steel Cut Oats -- I can get them in the oatmeal isle or the bulk section at my grocery store. I usually buy them in bulk as the McCann's product tends to be pricey.

Monica

I'm a new fan of them too!!! I put a tablespoon of honey, pumpkin pie spice, handful of walnuts - mmmmm:9 The ideas for these oats are numerous. Whatever flavor you want - you can have!

Monica-I bought some no pudge bownies and OMG,I've died and gone too guey goodness heaven!!

your right they are wonderful!
my little girl,who's five,didn't even tell the difference!
My DH liked them also!!

now Ive got something to take the place of my,hidden in the closet,3 musketter(sp)

Amy:)

I just started eating them last week & I'm a new fan too. This week, I tried adding some Naturally More peanut butter (I read that advice somewhere on here) & it was totally yummy. I'll definitely try more of these other suggested variations too.

BTW, I love Kashi Heart To Heart cereal too!

Enjoy!
Kel

All right - I've bought them and made them once and they came out ... well, not right. They were hard not soft like regular oatmeal. Did I do something wrong? What's the best way to cook them?

Claude

"A Drug is a substance which, when injected into a Rat, produces a SCIENTIFIC REPORT."

I eat steel cut oats every morning before work. DELICIOUS! Here's my "recipe"...

For a "five-day work-week" worth of breakfasts, I boil 6 cups of water then add 1 and 1/2 cups of oats. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. I then let them cool for a bit (10 minutes or so) and weigh the whole she-bang in a tupperware, then figure out what one-fifth is in weight (thank goodness for the digital scale!). Each morning, I weigh out the one-fifth, then throw it into the micro on high for 2 minutes. Add 125 grams of fat-free vanilla yogurt and some frozen blueberries, mix it up, then microwave again for a minute and a half. I try to eat a number of small meals throughout the day, so this meal fits in well!

Some recipes for steel cut oats call for a 3 to 1 ratio of water to oats, but I find that I like the 4 to 1 ratio. I'd recommend playing around with the amounts for your own personal taste.

Can someone give me the nutrition breakdown (calories, fat, carbs, protein) for steel cut oats? I bought some a little while back from the Wild Oats, but I had to buy by the pound. I can't for the life of me remember what the stats are. I would like to try these again. The first time I ate them using the crockpot and they did not turn out very well.

Thanks!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.