New Orleans hotel recommendations?

ms71069

Cathlete
My DH and I are planning a kid-free trip to New Orleans. Can anyone recommend a hotel?

TIA!
Michele

My DH and I are planning a kid-free trip to New Orleans. Can anyone recommend a hotel?

TIA!
Michele

Maison St. Charles. My brother and his bride had the wedding guests stay there during the wedding weekend. The rooms are intimate and nicely appointed, and the grounds are old-style New Orleans charm (in fact, my SIL had her bridal photos taken on the grounds of the Maison, and let's just say Jada Pinkett Smith would have been have gotten a bit nervous if she'd seen Faith!); it also has an outdoor pool, and is fairly close walking distance to the French Quarter. It's also close walking distance to the D-Day Museum (an unbelievable museum) as well as a tiny little museum dedicated to New Orleans Civil War and Reconstruction era. It's owned by the Quality Inn chain, so you're not talking about an arm and a leg for room rates.

Here's the link:

http://www.maisonstcharles.com/

Enjoy your trip!

A-Jock

Thanks so much, A-Jock! Really looking forward to our time there, especially without my kids in tow!

I've stayed at LeRichelieu on Chartres Street and the Sheraton and Marriott on Canal. All were well-located just a few minutes from the heart of the action on Bourbon, and I would stay at any of them again.

I always check out TripAdvisor before I book anywhere and have found some wonderful and very affordable hidden gems. It might be worth a look as you gather suggestions.

Have fun in the Big Easy!

Thanks, Cathy! My husband and I, after 15 years of marriage and three kids along the way, have finally decided to start celebrating our anniversary...alone!!! New Orleans is our first stop and I'm really looking forward to it!

Oh, how exciting! Have you been there before? If you need any other recommendations, I'd be happy to offer up some suggestions.

I have not been there since pre-Katrina, but here are a few suggestions:

Pat O'Brien's...tourist trap? Yes, but still worth a visit for the wicked hurricanes, courtyard atmostphere, and some rather entertaining people-watching.

Jean LaFitte's Blacksmith Shop...the oldest working tavern in the US...it's dark and charming...my very favorite spot.

Carousel Bar in the Hotel Monteleone...for something different...the bar actually spins. :)

Cat's Meow...fun karaoke crowd. Over several trips, we probably spent the most time here.

Cafe duMonde...must have the beignets, of course.

On various trips, I've done swamp, ghost, plantation, Voodoo Museum and Garden District tours. The only one I would NOT recommend is the voodoo museum. (A roach fell off the ceiling and landed on my neck! ICK!!!) There are also cemetery tours. (Don't visit a cemetery unless you're with one.) We did the traditional Sunday brunch at the Court of Two Sisters, but there are others I have heard good things about...maybe your concierge could steer you there. Unfortunately, I think one of my favorite restaurants, Petunia's, closed after Katrina, but there are plenty of really great places to eat. All I can say is, don't be on a diet while you're there! :p

Pat O'Brien's...tourist trap? Yes, but still worth a visit for the wicked hurricanes, courtyard atmostphere, and some rather entertaining people-watching.

Jean LaFitte's Blacksmith Shop...the oldest working tavern in the US...it's dark and charming...my very favorite spot.

Carousel Bar in the Hotel Monteleone...for something different...the bar actually spins. :)

Cat's Meow...fun karaoke crowd. Over several trips, we probably spent the most time here.

On various trips, I've done swamp, ghost, plantation, Voodoo Museum and Garden District tours. The only one I would NOT recommend is the voodoo museum. (A roach fell off the ceiling and landed on my neck! ICK!!!) There are also cemetery tours. (Don't visit a cemetery unless you're with one.) We did the traditional Sunday brunch at the Court of Two Sisters, but there are others I have heard good things about...maybe your concierge could steer you there. Unfortunately, I think one of my favorite restaurants, Petunia's, closed after Katrina, but there are plenty of really great places to eat. All I can say is, don't be on a diet while you're there! :p

In addition to RunninTeach's suggestions, Google the entertainment weekly "Creative Loafing" for a veritable avalanche of entertainment and cultural suggestions. My younger brother was the cultural editor for this publication for several years.

Also look up Dookie Chase's restaurant (limited hours but great food and wonderful local artwork, lovingly collected; Dookie Chase is owned by relatives of my drop-dead-gorgeous sister-in-law who appears with me in my avatar on this site).

And I stand by the D-Day Museum and that little museum of the New Orleans Civil War / Reconstruction eras.

Have a great time!

A-Jock

I think everything recommended so far is awesome. If I may, I'd also like to recommend you have a breakfast at Mother's one morning. I also enjoyed the Garden District a lot. Awesome architecture there. I liked Mardi Gras World too. It's neat seeing all of the floats stored there plus the process of building them. Brennan's Restaurant was very nice. I did the whole Bourbon Street thing and I do recommend, as was suggested, that you savor one of those Hurricanes. There are some neat clubs there too where you can go in and catch some good music. Overall, for me, Bourbon Street was kind of a cesspool and underwhelmed me. The stench is overwhelming at times. But, if you can deal with that, you will find a few diamonds in the rough.
If you do try one of the cemetary tours, do it in a group. I have heard stories of pickpockets and things like that when people go alone.
Oh, and don't forget St. Louis Cathedral. :)
Enjoy!!
Trevor

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I have to make sure I print this thread and take it along when we go.

My kids have been watching the Princess & the Frog nonstop the past few days and now they want to go to NO, too...not this trip, sorry!!!;)

I second the vote for the Blacksmith Shop. They also have AMAZING hurricanes that are much better than the ones that you get at Pat O'Brien's. They make them with fresh fruit juice. Be careful though, they are dangerous!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.