Need to vent a little.....

Well I tell my dh I don't want to be one of the many widows looking for my retirement hook-up he needs to keep healthy LOL

Well I am 60 and I am a widow, as I mentioned in a previous post. When my DH first passed, I thought I would never, ever look at another man. He was the ultimate soul mate. We were together almost 40 years. I have to tell you, it has been quite an education about what is left out there in the man availability world. I am still not really wanting to find anyone else, as I am just fine being by myself.... but I find myself wondering how it's going to feel being alone for the next 25 or 30 years, which is probably how long I'll be around.

My first criteria for a possible mate would be... can you run 5 miles easily? Can you complete a high intensity interval class with me? You must be fit, you must eat healthy... otherwise I'm not interested. The men in my age group are a sad lot. Most are overweight and sedentary. NO thank you!

Lol this thread is getting way too hilarious to tears!. I read it all: metabolism of cheetah and now this below:D:D:D

I glanced over my shoulder and he was way behind me, and I know it was because he saw my ponytail and figured he was going to buzz my wheel. No one has the right to tell someone to get off a trail, especially on technical spots. I kept a dance in front of this guy for the next 2.5 miles and I'm not talking about blocking his way, I made sure he could see me ahead, and I gauged this by hearing his bike going over the technical spots. At the trailhead, with him behind me, I looked back and will never forget that red, sweaty, pissed-off face.

Yep, girl power. fist bump ;);) Inspiring.

I get a kick hearing about her neighbor Dr. love that's how he answers his phone LOL. I use to work with him when I graduated college. Its just weird him being in a retirement village to me. He told me he is just waiting for my mom to ready to date again wth. My parents where together 48 years not sure how long he'll be waiting on that but she calls me all the time talking about him. I guess she is interested.

Lol she is :D

Well I am 60 and I am a widow, as I mentioned in a previous post. When my DH first passed, I thought I would never, ever look at another man. He was the ultimate soul mate. We were together almost 40 years. I have to tell you, it has been quite an education about what is left out there in the man availability world. I am still not really wanting to find anyone else, as I am just fine being by myself.... but I find myself wondering how it's going to feel being alone for the next 25 or 30 years, which is probably how long I'll be around.

My first criteria for a possible mate would be... can you run 5 miles easily? Can you complete a high intensity interval class with me? You must be fit, you must eat healthy... otherwise I'm not interested. The men in my age group are a sad lot. Most are overweight and sedentary. NO thank you!

Jeanne your awesome and still so young I really hope you find another life partner.

Jeanne your awesome and still so young I really hope you find another life partner.

Thank you my dear! You are sweet. The important thing for me is that I am happy being alone. If I don't find someone, it won't be that I feel like something is missing. If he comes along and falls right into my life, that's great, but otherwise I'm happy, healthy, and active, and my life is full of precious friends.

I have yet to meet anyone in my age group that can come close to keeping up with me. I don't say that in a bragging way, just being realistic. Most (single) men 60+ years of age are overweight and out of shape, and they look like it. I'd really rather be alone!

Thank you my dear! You are sweet. The important thing for me is that I am happy being alone. If I don't find someone, it won't be that I feel like something is missing. If he comes along and falls right into my life, that's great, but otherwise I'm happy, healthy, and active, and my life is full of precious friends.

I have yet to meet anyone in my age group that can come close to keeping up with me. I don't say that in a bragging way, just being realistic. Most (single) men 60+ years of age are overweight and out of shape, and they look like it. I'd really rather be alone!

I hear ya, JeanneMarie. We have been married almost 43 years. If something should happen, I'm not going another round. Too set in my ways. It's my way or the highway!

You are not bragging and I completely relate to this post. I'm 58 and have the very same criteria and experience. I truly dislike having to fit into the box of age when applying for a race. My age group now is very, very small for women and most of the men in my age group are riding to see if they can *finish*. The men that are wanting to ask me out, are in no way appealing to me.

You have such a great attitude about life and I too feel content on being alone (except on holidays). There is nothing finer for me then to ride half the day, come back pumped up and invigorated that I cleaned the trail and then not having to cook or entertain for anyone. So I am happy. And...you nailed it "if he comes along and falls right into my life"...ya! My criteria is...

Can you complete STS Discs #1 #2 #3 in a week with me?
Can you ride technical mountain?
Are you passionate about life?
Must be kind.
Where are you?

Last edited:
I hear ya, JeanneMarie. We have been married almost 43 years. If something should happen, I'm not going another round. Too set in my ways. It's my way or the highway!

You just never know. I tell ya, I sure never expected to be widowed at age 58, but it happened. Here I am two years later and doing okay. I wish with every fiber of my being that my DH was still here, but he isn't and I can't change that. The only thing I can do is move forward and be happy and healthy. I know that's what he would have wanted for me.

And here's the thing... at age 60 years old, I feel the same way... "my way or the highway". I can be picky if I want to. I don't HAVE to accept anything or anyone I don't like. It's actually rather freeing.

You are not bragging and I completely relate to this post. I'm 58 and have the very same criteria and experience. I truly dislike having to fit into the box of age when applying for a race. My age group now is very, very small for women and most of the men in my age group are riding to see if they can *finish*. The men that are wanting to ask me out, are in no way appealing to me.

You have such a great attitude about life and I too feel content on being alone (except on holidays). There is nothing finer for me then to ride half the day, come back pumped up and invigorated that I cleaned the trail and then not having to cook or entertain for anyone. So I am happy. And...you nailed it "if he comes along and falls right into my life"...ya! My criteria is...

Can you complete STS #1 #2 #3 in a week with me?
Can you ride technical mountain?
Are you passionate about life?
Must be kind.
Where are you?

Thank you! And I agree.... being alone isn't a bad thing. I don't have to answer to anybody. I love that most of the time. I can do WHAT I want, WHEN I want, HOW I want, IF I want... nobody else to consider. Holidays can be a bit sad, anniversaries I shared with him are sad... I guess those things are to be expected, but overall I'm in a good, happy place.

I am so tired of all the old, geezer looking men who think I want to go out with them. What makes them think that someone who could literally run circles around them all day long is interested in someone whose idea of a good time is a lounge chair and a beer. ;)

I am so tired of all the old, geezer looking men who think I want to go out with them. What makes them think that someone who could literally run circles around them all day long is interested in someone whose idea of a good time is a lounge chair and a beer. ;)

So true!! As maddiesmum said: "This is the age when the natural arrogance and over self-confidence that men grow up with does them a terrific disservice."

Yup, and the word geezer is perfect.

OMG--these are the exact same things my husband says. According to him, my DOMS means I am hurting myself and overdoing it!

Wow, my eyes are rolling in all kinds of directions and I've only read your reply and the original post. I'm getting all fired up bc my husband used to be, and is still kind of like that. Thinks nothing of lounging in a chair, watching tv. He gets defensive when I mention a new workout series on BOD (he prefers "manly" beachbody workouts[emoji6]).
By the way, I'm going to sneak this in here....I love your blog and workout premixes on Cathe's workout blender. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL.. happy to see this thread is still going strong. ;)
DH and I did our 3 Day Refresh while we were off and I do have to say I was impressed that he stuck with it the entire 3 days. He admitted he was tempted to cheat and one night he said he wanted a pizza. He didn't do it. He lost 8 lbs in 3 days. He did admit that he felt better the we ate for those 3 days. He has been trying to make a few changes in his eating habits. Something decisions he makes I still don't agree with like having a salad and then drowning it with high calorie dressing and a soda. I knew he'd be p'd if I said something so I just kept my mouth shut.

I just turned 50 yesterday and I don't feel like it so I'm going to keep doing what's been working for me.

My 60 year old DH has been in a state of repair since he hiked the AT 2 years ago. It took a long time for the feeling to come back into his feet and for his upper back and neck pain to subside. He started to lift weights with more regularity a few months back and says he feels really good. He was more of a cardio junkie and ran all the time. He does push-ups and sit-ups every day (but never varied how he did them). Since we got our Teeter Table (thank you again @DirtDiva !), he is really feeling great! He has been curious about my Cathe DVDs and has incorporated some of her moves into his daily routine. He says that he is going to start doing some of her DVDs when he feels capable (he says she is hard core!). I think he looks great and am so happy that he is on board with our clean eating and health focused lifestyle. I know he'll feel invincible when he really gets into the Cathe groove...I've been trying to get him to do this for 7 years! He loved Tabatacise and X10...now he needs to embrace the weight-training on a CONSISTENT and dedicated level!
Here's his crazy adventure:
https://cathe.com/forum/threads/dh-started-his-thru-hike-of-the-at.300115/

By the way, I'm going to sneak this in here....I love your blog and workout premixes on Cathe's workout blender. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was supposed to say 'Thank you"--but it appears my reply disappeared! I just now noticed it!

My 60 year old DH has been in a state of repair since he hiked the AT 2 years ago. It took a long time for the feeling to come back into his feet and for his upper back and neck pain to subside. .../

I've been wondering off and on about how he's doing now. Thanks for the quick update. Conquering the AT is/was a brutal undertaking physically and mentally. I'm glad he's regulating his physical activities now with the focus on good health.

I think he looks great and am so happy that he is on board with our clean eating and health focused lifestyle. I know he'll feel invincible when he really gets into the Cathe groove...I've been trying to get him to do this for 7 years!
That is awesome Nancy!! I agree with Nathalie, please share your strategy to get your DH on board with healthy living. ;)

That is awesome Nancy!! I agree with Nathalie, please share your strategy to get your DH on board with healthy living. ;)
I've been lucky that my DH was a teaching pro tennis player back in his younger years and played a lot of baseball too, so he had a lot of athletic ability and experience. For some reason, he seemed to really balk at weight training and only did body -weight exercises and cardio. I really don't know what has changed his mind (maybe it was the strain of recovering from hiking the AT), but he seems very committed to creating some muscle mass. He says he doesn't want to look scrawny and he wants more strength. I'm just happy to have someone to share my enthusiasm for Cathe! I think the next big step will be to get him some weightlifting gloves! ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.