Need to lose weight

LaBonita

Hi everyone,

I have about 30-35 pounds to lose. I've been doing STS for a couple weeks now, but am just wondering if it's a wise idea to maybe stick to my other Cathe workouts for now to lose weight, and then start back up on STS once I've lost a little? I'm afraid if I use STS it will definitely help me build muscle, but I'm not so sure about losing fat. Obviously muscle help you lose weight, but I feel like doing circuit-style workouts would be better for now....any ideas?

P.S. I don't have many Cathe workouts, but I feel like the ones I do have could be rotated in some way. I have the Pyramid Upper and Lower Body, Butts & Guts, Cardio Fusion, Step Jump & Pump, and Step Blast.

Last edited:
Although I am far from an expert on this topic, I think you can absolutely lose weight doing STS. If you are following a good diet plan (maybe something like Weight Watchers or Tosca Reno's Eat Clean?) you should be able to shed pounds.

You mention circuit w/o's, well I think that Meso 1 are very "circuit-like" and definitely got my heart rate into the zone. Looking at my note, my average HR for most of these w/o's was in the 120's. The w/o's move so fast that you should stay in a good zone for these. And Meso 2 legs - you could probably count those as interval workouts they are so intense.

So honestly, the STS workouts will probably have you burning more calories for a straight weight-lifting workout than a lot of other Cathe weight w/o's. The exception would be B&G as that burns a lot of calories for me and I almost treat it like a cardio w/o! Particularaly the Leg Blast Premix. You could add that one in as a second leg day with a STS rotation.

If I were you, I'd check out Tosca Reno's book from the library, follow that plan quite closely, and go for STS. Good luck!

Ditto with the above advice. I have lost 11 lbs with STS and CLEAN eating. It is doable. :) Good luck!

I agree with everything the others posters said. Go for it with STS but watch the diet. I have just started M3 and have dropped 2 sizes (I have cleaned up my eating during M2, not so much during M1). The clean eating makes all the difference. Good luck!

DIET is critical for losing weight no matter what workouts you're doing. Its sometimes common to lose a few pounds just by changing workouts up a bit, but to lose significant weight diet is key.

i strongly believe in writing down everything you eat. this works for me very well. as long as i stick to 1800 calories and working out every day, i manage my weight very well. i gain easily and love to eat, so for me personally keeping a food journal is crucial. i use an app on my phone but there's many sites you can use like fitday, livestrong etc.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I'll stick with STS. ;) My only problem is that I'm HORRIBLE with diet, and I find if I'm logging every morsel of food, I get way too obsessed, thinking about food constantly, and I end up binging. :( My past experiences (when I lost about 15 pounds), I've been able to lose weight when I'm not really thinking about it, if that makes sense (then of course I started going through a stressful time and gained it all back).

I just suck at the diet thing cuz I just love food so much! It's really hard!

Quote:
"My past experiences (when I lost about 15 pounds), I've been able to lose weight when I'm not really thinking about it"

Sounds a little like intuitive eating. I've heard some rave about this. It's not calorie counting or "dieting", but more about learning when your body is truly hungry/what it is hungry for. I haven't tried this personally, but I've heard some say that they successfully lost weight with it. www.intuitiveeating.com

Good luck! :)

Quote:
"My past experiences (when I lost about 15 pounds), I've been able to lose weight when I'm not really thinking about it"

Sounds a little like intuitive eating. I've heard some rave about this. It's not calorie counting or "dieting", but more about learning when your body is truly hungry/what it is hungry for. I haven't tried this personally, but I've heard some say that they successfully lost weight with it. www.intuitiveeating.com

Good luck! :)
On the same note, try the book "I can make you thin" by Paul McKenna. It is based on the exact same premises. You eat when you are hungry, eat what you want, not what you think you should, you enjoy each mouthfull, and you stop when you are full. Thats all. I am enjoying in immencely.

SassyLady7 and krassymira: Thanks for the sugggestions! I may just head over to Borders and check out those books! You girls are so great on this forum! I find all I need to do to get motivated to work out every day is come here...thanks again! :D

Last summer I was determined to lose weight. I hired a personal trainer, joined a gym and trained with the trainer 3x a week and tried to get 2x a week of cardio. But... I just ate what I wanted and tried not to be stupid. After just losing 2# in 5 months I got discouraged and gave up.

I then saw all the posts on the bodybugg/gowear fit arm band things and I got one. And I saw thru the device that I really need to move more and eat less. What you eat plays a major - MAJOR - role in losing weight. I also found that STS days I have to suppliment with some cardio or I do not burn enough calories to eat.

I'm starting to lose weight now. I learned that just working out is not going to do it for me. I must log and watch what I eat.

Hi LaBonita,

I have 35 to lose also. I just read in You on a Diet, Dr Oz and Dr Rosen suggest trying to have a standard meal for 1 or 2 of your meals. They found that people that could have the same breakfast or lunch or both everyday had an easier time losing weight because they had less to think about. For example if you had veggie omlet and fruit for breakfast you could vary the fruit and veggies. If you have a salad with protein for lunch you can vary the greens and type of protein (fish, chicken, etc.)

I like this approach because you don't have to obsess about what to eat, you have a plan but it is not 'obessive'. I have been trying this with breakfast first and I have a couple of lunches that I rotate.

Check out Oprah's site and search for the official "you on a diet" website for some free meal planning.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.