Need to Get Back and Follow a Rotation

Cowgirl

So I have been out of regular workouts, doing them here and there- maybe two or three times a week, as my husband has been ill. I have set a goal to actually DO a rotation/or program. I have So many Cathe's and several KCMs. I do not like cardio/step and tend to either do Metabolics or I finally got a rebounder ( which is not bad)as I tore my Achilles 3 years ago, and will Not run on pavement. Workouts are too important to me. I would like to retain and build muscle.

I guess I should mention that I am 76 and have loved working out with Cathe and at the gym for years. Also for my 75th birthday I was going to do a bodybuilding contest, which I stopped training for, as my husband was not well, and he was/is my priority. I am a Mesomorph and do build muscle easily.
I just need some motivation - and support now. Also would like to join one of the groups for ongoing motivation.

Thanks in Advance!
Mary
PS I also have and have done kettlebells

Hi and welcome! We would love to have you in our check ins.. Do you have Cathe STS? I am doing Cathe's Sep 2020 rotation. You should check it out.

You can join any check ins you like :)

Mary, WOW! You are amazing!

Have you looked at Cathe's monthly rotations?

The easiest thing might be to start one of those so you can be doing the same thing others are.
Then you can just do/omit the workouts on the days that suit your personal schedule you have right now and still be available for your husband.

Btw, sending you high fives on your commitment to stay strong !!

Hi and welcome! We would love to have you in our check ins.. Do you have Cathe STS? I am doing Cathe's Sep 2020 rotation. You should check it out.

You can join any check ins you like :)
I just checked out Sept 2020, and I like it a lot. I like variety, and/but I want some continuity. I already started Gym Style for this week, and will use this template. Interestingly I do not have STS. I do have STS Total Body. When i was training for the bodybuilding contest, my trainers told me I did not have to lift heavy weights ( again probably genetics) to build muscle, so I do not want to go to a 1 Rep max, always being careful as i do not injuries. I would certainly consider it, if I could do it at weights I am just comfortable with. Hope that makes sense......

Hi Mary, I just posted on your other thread. The beauty of using 1RM is that the weights you use are personified to you based on your 1RM. You can input your 1RM into Cathe's Workout Manager & then print out worksheets with the suggested weights to use for both the STS & Xtrain series. But as long as you challenge yourself by increasing weight as you get stronger you will progress, even if you don't use 1RM. Lots of Cathletes use Gym Styles to get stronger & more defined. Probably my favorite weight-training series is Xtrain - 6 weight workouts plus a metabolic, plus low-impact HiIt, kickbox, Tabatacise - lots of variety, plus suggested rotations. Oh yeah, soooon there'll be Perfect 30 for more variety. Soo many options !

Well, the best laid plans.... After a week of X-train, I find I am having shin pain in the same leg as I'd had the torn Achilles.. Like the front ( a little higher) on the leg. I have decided to do Upper Body mainly and try Barre and Floor for legs, as I feel legs with weight somehow might have caused this. I will report in after I give this new process a whirl..

Sorry to hear you're experiencing some pain/irritation... best to listen to your body. The Xtrain Legs workout has floor & barre chapters, as does ICE To The Mat. To piecemeal, here are some other of Cathe's workouts that have segments for floor & /or barre: Great Glutes, Lean Legs & Abs, Butts & Guts, LIS Turbo Barre, Lower Body Blast, & Kickmax has a leg conditioning segment also. I think Cathe's Intensity series Push Pull & Supersets has a segment for the shins (tibialis anterior) that uses a stability ball. My sister sometimes has a knee act up from an old skiing injury & she piecemeals leg workouts from these dvds for the floor & barre segments. I think she even throws in floorwork chapters from Pure Strength & Gym Styles Legs sometimes. HTH, Deb

Debinmi summarized all your options wonderfully.

I just wanted to chime in to say I'm sorry you're having shin pain. Definitely listen to your body.

Thank you both for your replies- and good wishes. Deb, it happens that I have many of those... so i will go through them. Definitely have to look at the PP & SS. - for the shins.. Cathe covers everything sooner or later. yesterday I actually did PHA with no weight for LB and modifications- moving a little slower and more carefully. I have a feeling it is the Direct weight I carry that throws me off. For UB I did use weights and that was ok. Today I will go back to X-train for UB.

Again, thanks to you both. The support ( pardon the pun) really does help.
Mary

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.