Need strength training DVD buying advice please !

Thanks Cathy !!!

I'm just so impatient to get my new DVDs, so that I can watch them all. I'll be like a little kid in a candy store. I can't wait to get started !!!

That makes sense .... that Muscle Max is strength. I hadn't looked at Muscle Endurance.. and probably shouldn't. I don't need any more DVDs..... not one..... lol

I'm going to also post this question in the Ask Cathe forum and see if she responds..... I know how busy she is these days..... so I won't count on an answer !!

Last edited:
I generally dont think there is a right or wrong answer here. Generally "they" (whoever they are) say to start by doing total body workouts twice a week, and then progress to upper and lower splits and then to splits such as like in Pure Strength. However for me, when I first started I found that I didnt have the strength or endurance to do total body workouts because I'd fizzle halfway thru and the end exercises I didnt do as well or with good a form. So for me, I like to do things in the opposite order so I can devote more energy and with good form to a limited number of body parts each time.

Different strokes for different folks!

Thanks Stacy. I value your opinion.

I got my DVDs in the mail today :D and just finished watching the Legs part of Pure Strength.

I really really like the looks of it... both the exercises and the fact that Cathe pauses after each exercise and does a little "stepping side to side" or stretching before starting the next one. And.. she doesn't do anywhere near the number of reps that I've seen in some of the other DVDs. That makes it seem more attainable for someone at my level.

And.. as you said... she makes lots of pointers about good form. I think I'm going to like it !!!

Thank you so much for recommending Pure Strength. I never would have gotten it without your mentioning it. Not sure why I passed it by when I was looking... probably because it looked like it had been made a long time ago.

After we finish the Beginner Rotation, I may very well start with Pure Strength. But I'll experiment with some of the others also and see what feels comfortable...

thanks again... you've been a big help !!!!

Fantastic !!! I just finished watching the Chest part... having watched the Legs segment last night. I really really like the looks of it.

I think Stacy has started a mini-run on the Pure Strength inventory :D

I'd love to hear what you and FnV think after you've tried it ....

Last edited:
I think there's been a mini-run on the Troy Lite Barbell sets at fitness1st.com also... lol

I ordered mine last Monday and had not heard anything from them since then. My credit card has not been charged (a sure sign it hasn't shipped) and no shipping notification.

So I called them and they said they are out of stock and have more on order which should arrive this week, but.... all the ones coming in in this shipment are already taken by orders like mine, so they will be out of stock once again.

have a bunch of Cathletes been ordering barbell sets??? :p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.