Need some input RE: GWF and calories

Road2ANewMe

Cathlete
My GWF says that I burn about 3,000 calories a day. That's with zero exercise, and just normal housework (i'm a sahm) and grocery trips. My WW points are 26...with about 3 extra for activity. However, that's only like 1500 calories. TO me, that seems too low.

SO, for those that have lost with the GWF, how much should I be eating??

I"m 5'2, 198lbs.

Jessica

In the setup --maybe something under Profile (can't remember right now) -- you state your goals, including how much activity you want to get in each day and how much you want to lose each week. The software then tells you how much of a deficit you need to achieve that. I never reach my burn level and don't know how that would be possible. I've either not clicked the right buttom somewhere or I'm lazy :eek:. But I keep an eye on that deficit number between actual burned and calories consumed. That's really the crux of the matter.

It tells me to eat about 2000 calories a day. That seems VERY high. Everything i've read says to eat no more than 1800 for women. ANd, being so short, most things tell me 1200-1400 cals a day. I'm getting discouraged and wanting to just throw the towel in.

Darlin', 1000 calories a day is way too low! You really need a MINIMUM of 1200 calories. And good calories, not empty calories. I would definitely bump it up - try keeping it closer to 1500 calories/day. I have a BB and have been wearing it since last November. I love it!

I am 5 4 and burn between 1800 - 2700/day according to my Bodybugg. I lose weight fairly consistently when I keep it around 1500- 1600 calories intake. I started at 164 lbs and got down to 125 lbs doing this. I work out 6 days a week - with strength training and cardio. I mix it up sometimes I concentrate more on ST other times more on cardio depending on how I am feeling.

Keep at it! You can do this! Just make sure to give your body the fuel it needs, you don't want it to be in starvation mode. That is truly discouraging!

It seems like you are simply taking in too few calories. Once you go below a 1000 calorie deficit it is likely that you are starving your body and it won't let go of fat. I started with a 1000 to 750 deficit a day -- like you I am short but burn a lot of calories -- but then I stopped losing weight. I had to lower my deficit (eat more or move less, which means I eat more) to 500 calories a day, or even 300. The weight loss is now slower but it is coming off after the first 10 percent body weight. I need to lose another 10 -14 pounds (my husband is already griping that I am getting too thin for his taste) and it is going to take a while.

Going by the guidelines for short women -- the 1400 calories a day, etc. is completely useless. I have no idea how they come up with that stuff, but they clearly think we don't move very much -- and they clearly don't think we are weight training and doing cardio 6 days a week.

tobermory

Well, I am going to aim for 1750 cals a day and see where that leads me. My total burned cals yesterday was 2800ish...can't remember the exact number! That was without a workout!

I do wonder if my body has been in 'starvation' mode for so long that it won't let go of the weight?!?

Jessica

From someone who's been there

- Do the BMR/RMR calculations. This will give you the MINIMUM you should be eating. When I was eating less - I gained. Once I bumped it up - the losses started. HOWEVER you must bump it with CLEAN calories. Diet is 90%+

- The difference between what you eat and what you burn should be in the 500-1000 calorie range. Over that and my body starts shutting down again.

- You SHOULD feel a bit hungry. When I was under eating I was rarely hungry. Again - my body shutting down.

IMHO women are efficient calorie machines. Our bodies adapt quickly to hold onto what we have. So we have to 'trick' it, You might look into calorie/carb cycling as well. I try not to eat too low for more than 3 days in a row.

Know that you are not alone. {{hugs}}

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.