Need help please

Kimenem

Cathlete
I went to a metabolic weight loss center today, very excited because I have heard good things and they use REAL food and a sensible plan. Instead, I was told I need to lose 72 pounds after hetting on their scale/BMI thing(I was thinking maybe 40) and they didn't ask ONE question about working out. I mentioned several times that I lifted weights and have been active for years and got NOTHING. Instead she asked what my goal weight was and told what THEIR goal weight was for me. She then proceeded to say how I HAD to take 4 different supplements to start out that would help my body get into the right mode. They included something for metabolism, a multi-vitamin, MSM, and Flax. When I expressed concern over the supplements she said it was mandatory to use the program and kind of shut down with the rest of the info. I know someone who did it and lost 50 pound WITHOUT their supplements. She THEN said that if I put off joining, I'll continue to gain weight because I'm a mess and my body is messed up chemically. Again, even though I work out with Cathe, I love sweets and that is my problem area. I just don't know about the supplements. Have any of you lost significant weight with just working out and eating right? Btw, I'm 5'11 and have a bigger build as far as bone structure. I'll never be a size below a 10 but people other than my mom (who is skinny) think I look fine right now.

Thanks

Kim

Run, don't walk, to the nearest exit!!!! How HORRIBLE!!! I'm in sales, but I would never use such scare tactics to make a sale, especially for shoddy merchandise. The Supplements simply increase her take in commission and are not mandatory for weight loss.

I'm 5'10 and have a bigger build (another who will never be below a size 10 or I'll look bad). I would suggest going to Weight Watchers instead where there is some accountability (I do much better when I have to report to others - much easier to decide that that piece of chocolate is not necessary!) and picking a plan that works for you. The weight will come off. And remember - us bigger gals really do need to eat more. You may be having issues with sweets because you take your calories too low and then your body compensates with cravings. I cannot go below 2000 calories a day.

HUGS! I'm there with you. And I lost 70 pounds by diet and exercise. She's full of bull. I would write a letter to the company pointing out your concern over the advice you received.

Put it out of your mind...DO NOT DWELL on what she said!! She is not worth it!! But you are!!

I have lost 40 pounds with portion control (still eating some sweets) and exercise. It can be done!!

You can do it!!!!

What a load of crap! I'm curious as to what their weight goal is for you. I'm 5'10" and I can fit into a size 6 when I am around 165 lbs. I'm doing Weight Watchers right now and their weight range for me is 139-174. I would look awful at the low end of the spectrum and I am aiming for somewhere at the top of the range. For me, WW works great when I work the program. Good luck on finding something that works for you!

Lori

Thanks SO much. The thing is, I have lost a little weight here and there and always fall off the wagon. I never REALLY put forth the effort for a long period of time though. I think I will now and see what happens. I have actually backed off of working out a little in anticipation of the new dvd's so I'll be fresh and all fired up when they get here!!! THANKS AGAIN!!

She started with a goal weight of 155 but when she saw my eyes pop out and roll onto the floor she changed it to 160.5 (that half pound must really be worth something). When I weighed 165 around age 22, I was in a 12 mostly but had some stuff in a 10. I had no visible fat but wasn't really toned becasue I was juststarting to lift at a gym. I looked good then but now I think I can look even better at maybe around 175 because I know I have the muscle and it would show through at that weight I think. She was trying to say that my BMI would not be where it was supposed to be unless I was at 155-160.

Kim,
I agree you don't need supplements to lose the weight. I lost 30 lbs. through exercise and diet modifications (no specific program or severe restrictions) *gradually*. About a month ago, I joined WW online and have since lost another 6-7 lbs.

I think WW might be a good choice for you b/c you *CAN* still have your sweets. But it'll force you to make good choices most of the time and to control your portions.

Overall, I think you would do well to have a ballpark figure in mind but don't get fixated on it. And you really do have to acknowledge and accept that, in order to be successful, this cannot be a temporary diet. You have to be willing to change your lifestyle for the long haul. For me, that'll mean I can *never* back off of working out - but I don't want to, either. Perhaps if you expand your workout options (buy new workouts, join a gym, take up a new activity), you can vary up your routine enough that you won't get bored. The monthly rotations are excellent for this.

Good luck!
[font face="heather" font color=brick red size=+2]~Cathy [/font face] http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/wavesmile.gif
"Out on the roads there is fitness and self-discovery and the persons we were destined to be." -George Sheehan

I lost 35 pounds and my sister lost 50 pounds through diet and exercise alone. We started exercising and cleaned up the diet. You don't need supplements to lose weight. I lost the weight 8 years ago and continue to workout and eat healthy. In fact, my diet has gotten even better over the years. Last year I added more protein to my diet and lost 6.5 pounds without even trying. I have never been on weight watchers but I have heard from many that it is a good program. I tell people all the time that losing weight is a lifestyle change. It takes small steps to get there but it can be done.

Good Luck!

Kim, I agree with Christine...run away fast! I know two people who have lost over 100 pounds using diet and exercise alone. Yes, it is slow going but so much healthier!!

You can do it and I think it's a load of crap that you will continue to gain weight because you're messed up chemically. I understand the sweets thing...I have found that eating frequently (every 2 1/2 to 3 hours) and including protein and a healthy carb at every meal really helps reduce the sugar cravings. And I found that increasing my daily protein a bit also helped.

Holy crap! I agree w/everyone else, and I have to add that they clearly do not care about their clients, they're in it for the money.

It sounds like you have your exercise schedule all set. I would suggest if you're having issues w/the diet to see a real nutritionist & forget all these "lose weight fast" programs.

And you are absolutely right in setting your own goals. Truthfully you sound like someone who is emotionally healthy & is reasonable about your goals. We should all be like that! (coming from a fellow sweet lover :p )

You do what you feel is right for you. Ignore these people trying to make a quick buck from gimmicks.

Kim -

I hate those BMI's and suggested weights for us tall gals - it just doesnt add up. When they are saying that the zone starts at 135 - there is NO way I could ever get to that weight. I am 5'11" and when playing basketball in college - without lifting weights - just a ton of running - I was incredibly in shape and got down to 158 at my lowest. Now I consider the 170's a good range for my height and muscle. Actually it is probably closer to the 180's - a few years ago I got down to 174 and people were saying I was getting too skinny - and my sister accused me of not eating :0 - which sounds weird to people - but when you have muscle and height - the scale doesnt mean as much.

I am working on those same 30-40 lbs right now and working with a better diet and exercise - not plans with required supplements - cause they are right - it is about the commissions they make on selling you the supplements.

Thanks so much everyone. I have decided to do this on my own. I started with the PLAIN water today and have made it through 33 ounces so far :) I'm aiming for 64 ounces daily.

We'll see!!!!

I have to say you all make me feel so much better. I have never been able to get down to what the BMI charts say is a "normal" weight. I am just too muscular and the only way to be a "normal" weight would be to lose all of my muscle by some really nasty combination of diet and not working out. Anyway, you all make me feel better about my decision to aim for a weight that is healthy for me even if it isn't what my BMI says it should be.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.