Need help deciding which DVDs to purchase

Hello,

I've been hearing great reviews for all of Cathe's exercise DVDs and have decided to give them a try, but I don't know where to start. I've been using the Firm for about 10 years now and feel I'm at an immediate to advanced level (but not too advanced, mind you). Anyway, I haven't been exercising as regularly as I used to, so now is the time to try something new. I want something that is really intense and muscle burning that will really make me work! I would like to purchase 3 to 5 videos...something that is for total body, one for legs/butt, one for cardio, and two others just so I can add them to a rotation. Any suggestions? (I haven't done step aerobics for a while, so I'd really like to get back into doing that, but I'm a bit of a klutz & can't do too much fancy footwork). Please let me know what you videos would be a good starting place for an intermediate/advanced exerciser. Thanks!!

Hi!! You'll find yourself converting to Cathe in a flash. I was a Firm Believer too and I'm glad that I was because they got me started. For me Cathe was like taking it to the next level and she provides many levels that go beyond. Well to start I would go with:

Total Body - Power Hour or Muscle Max

Legs and Butt - Butts & Gutts or Gym Style (Legs)

For Cardio - Low Max, Step Blast, Power Max, or Rhythmic Step

2 extras for variety - Body Max 2 and Imax 2 + Cardio & Weights

All of these offer lots of premixes and endless variety.

Good luck!

Yolanda

If you are not good at picking up choreography, I would suggest getting the Bootcamp/Muscle Endurance DVD. The cardio is uncomplicated in the Bootcamp workout, and the strength work in Muscle Endurance is awesome. There is also a bonus workout that combines both Bootcamp and Muscle Endurance. If you like kickboxing, I would also recommend the Kick, Punch and Crunch DVD, which is paired with Legs & Glutes which is a great workout for your lower body.

For relatively uncomplicated step workouts that are intense, I recommend Interval Max and Imax 2. For strength workouts, I like Muscle Max, Slow and Heavy and the Pyramid DVDs, along with the Muscle Endurance DVD I mentioned earlier. Cathe's new 4-Day Split series is great as well, but the choreography on the step workouts may take a little bit of practice to get down.

I rarely make suggestions, but it's a little slow at work today, so I'll chime in with my ideas...

Total body: Muscle Max

Legs: Butts & Guts (my fave), but my second choice would be Legs and Glutes which would give you KPC too

Cardio: Low Max (don't do much step myself so I don't have any of Cathe's earlier step vids to recommend, but I like this one - I usually do one of the premixes rather than "as is" though)

2 extras: Body Max 2 because it's so versatile, Imax 2 + Cardio and Weights (I don't have this but would like it after all the great reviews I've read)

Other "extra" possibilities: High Step Challenge, the Power Hour+ DVD because it has 3 workouts, ME/Bootcamp, Supersets/Push Pull

I'd also consider the 4 Day Split series. Tons of premixes. Even though I don't do step much, I still love this set of workouts.

Let us know what you decide!
Melissa

Have you considered Cross Train Express? It's a little older and some of the step is more complex choreography-wise, but it's a great series. I used it to get back into the swing of things a couple years ago and it was wonderful! I made terrific strength gains and was then able to move on to the Intensity Series.

I also recommend the Body Blast series. It's 6 work outs that work well together over the course of a week. Step Blast is complicated, but it's really fun once you learn it. And I know others feel the total body strength work outs in this series (SuperSets and Push Pull) aren't as advanced as some of Cathe's other work outs, but that may be okay for you at this point in time.

Just a couple more suggestions to make your decision harder! Ha!

anne

alrighty, so here are the DVDs I'm thinking about purchasing...please let me know what you think. (Basically, I went through the Ultimate Guide on Cathe's site to help chose which ones to purchase just so I'd get one or two from almost all the categories).

Circuit: High Step Challenge and Drill Max

Crosstraining: Body Max 2

Total Body: Muscle Max

Interval: Low Max and Imax2

Lower Body: Butts & Guts (and possibly Gym Style-Legs)

Other Cardio: Cardio Fusion (maybe this one, I'm not positve yet)

Anyway, I placed an order for Body Max 2, Low Max, and Butts & Guts--I wish I could order more all at once so I can a fuller rotation, but like most, I have a restricted budget. Do you think I can get a well-rounded exercise routine going with the above DVDs and are there any others that I should *absolutely have*? There are so many to chose from that it's hard to decide! Please let me know :)

I think you'll be very happy with the ones you chose. Next round, I'd definitely order Muscle Max for a good total body workout. And I'd get a circuit workout (I prefer High Step Challenge, although I've only used Drill Max once so far - my lower back ached from it and I haven't felt like trying it again, but I know some love it).

If you want another cardio, I'd get Imax2 over Cardio Fusion. I know Imax2 is a favorite of many plus you get Cardio and Weights with it. I have Cardio Fusion and have never tried it.

Although I like Gym Style Legs (I love the whole Gym Style series), I'd still recommend getting Legs and Glutes first because it has Kick, Punch and Crunch too. I love both of those workouts. Then get all the Gym Styles another time.

Anyhow, just my opinion. I have a lot of Cathe workouts, but not all of them, so I can only offer advice based on what I have and what I've heard.

Enjoy!
Melissa

You've done a great job with the workouts you selected. However, I would not get Cardio Fusion, especially if you are thinking of also getting Drill Max, since Cardio Fusion is mostly parts of Drill Max and Body Max 2 put together.

Since you didn't select any kickboxing workouts, I assume you don't like them. If you're open to trying them, I highly recommend Kick, Punch & Crunch as an alternate cardio to step.

I agree with the others, do not get Cardio Fusion. Get Imax 2 with the Cardio and weights. This is one of her best workouts.

Also for circuit training, I absolutely love Bootcamp! It has a circuit of cardio, weight training and abs. Love it!!

As far as the other cardio -- have you considered any of her kickbox routines? Kick, Punch Crunch is a favorite of mine as well.

Good luck and have fun becoming a Catheite!!

Sheryl (in MI)

Here's my 2 cents...

Circuit: either you picked are good choices, though Bootcamp would be a good choice too and you'd get another total body workout that way (Muscle Endurance). I find Drill Max to be a space hog and a bit too high impact for me

Crosstraining: I love Body Max 2 plus it contains great premixes, the Upper Body only premix is excellent

Total Body: I'd definitely get Muscle Max

Interval: good choices with Low Max and the Imax 2/Cardio & Weights dvd...I found the C&W workout to be very basic in complexity and a good place to start. Some people thought the choreograpy in Low Max to be difficult but I'm a klutz and didnt have any problems with it

Lower Body: Butts & Guts is great, I'd also consider Kick Punch & Crunch/Legs&Glutes. I'd ge the entire Gym Style series if you were going to go ahead and get the leg workout, why I dont, lol

Other Cardio: unless you've mastered the other workouts in that series, I'd NOT get Cardio Fusion right now b/c you'll be thinking it needed to be named Cardio CONfusion....it's fast paced and the moves are NOT broken down at all....Another cardio choice would be to look at Step Blast/Step Jump & Pump. It took a few times to learn but it's fun and has tons of premixes. If you arent opposed to older looking workouts, you may want to look at Cardio Hits or one of her Cardio classic dvds with a few of her older step routines on it, the choreography is a bit more basic

Let us know what you've decided!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.