Need advice on how to progress

Miss Lee

Cathlete
Hi Cathe!

First off, let me say how thrilled I am that your recovery seems to be going so well. You have my continued support and prayers.

I've been following you Official Beginners Rotation and I'm really pleased with my results. I'm 51 years old and hadn't exercised much to speak of in over a year. Even when I was working out I tended to focus on strength and neglected cardio (I really don't like cardio and it's easy for me to blow it off). Your rotation was the perfect prescription for me to get back into it. I'm in week 7 of that rotation and I'm all ready wondering where I should go from there? I love a rotation because I tend to do better if someone tells me exactly what to do.

I've looked at all your rotations and I have no idea which one to go with. What would you recommend as a next step up from your beginners rotation? I am prepared to purchase wichever DVD's are needed.

Thank you so much for your time and advice. I appreciate it more than you know.

All my best, :)

I'm also a Cathe fan. I would suggest you preview Low Impact Step. Its a bit more intensity than Basic Step/Body fusion. It also has a body sculpting segment. There is a new to Cathe workout she posted where she incorporates Basic Step and Low Impact Step in a three month rotation. She suggested that Cardio and Weights would be a great next step in that posting.

Good luck.

Carmen

Thank you Carmen!

I've been doing that very rotation and I'm into the 7th week. I've done very well with it and now I'm hoping maybe Cathe can suggest another rotation for intermediate exercisers like myself. I did see where Cathe suggested Cardio and Weights and I intend to get it.

:)

A Great Next Step

Michele:

Congratulations on your success so far. You will be a cardio lover before you know what hit you! ;-)

Cathe might have a better idea, but I have a suggestion for you while you are waiting for her to respond. When I joined the forums in March, I posted a message to her. I was no longer a beginner, but the super advanced rotations were not good for me because of my weight and size. Cathe encouraged me to step back from the ultra advanced and give my body a chance to acclimate (by shedding the excess weight), and I believe the rotation she posted would be a great next step for you. Here is a link if you want to check it out:

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?...ic_id=60152&mesg_id=60152&listing_type=search

I highly recommend Cardio and Weights and Kick, Punch, & Crunch if you do not have those workouts. Cardio Kicks and Circuit Max are great workouts too. Power Max has more basic choreography, so the Cardio Hits DVD would be a good investment. The workouts Cathe posted in the thread linked above feature choreography that is easy to master as well. She instructed me to modify certain workouts as needed because of my personal need to moderate the impact to protect my joints (due to being significantly overweight). That may or may not apply to you.

Cathe, if you read this, you might want to consider copying that rotation and posting it in the Video and DVD Rotations forum since you get quite a few requests for the next step after your rotation for beginners. Just a thought. It really is a great rotation with choreography and intensity that an overweight exerciser or someone who is not quite ready for your advanced rotations can handle. :)

Blessings,
Heather B.

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).

RE: A Great Next Step

Hi Heather!

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. You know, I actually bookmarked that thread because I wondered if it would be a good rotation for me. I guess it's true what they say about great minds! Anyway, I think you may be getting a little bit carried away with your suggestion that I might come to love cardio. After all, I have a reputation to uphold:7.

Your point about modifying for high impact moves is well taken. I'm 51 and may have some of that "boomeritis" Cathe's doctor talked about. I had surgery a few years ago to repair a herniated disc in my cervical spine and I've avoided high impact aerobics ever since. I'm also a klutz which doesn't help matters any. (Cathe, if you ever want to do a blooper DVD I'm your girl).

I'm going to preview those work outs and see if I think I can manage them. I want to place an order soon so that the new DVD's will be here when I'm ready for them.

Heather, thanks again. I really apprecite the time you took to help me:) .

RE: A Great Next Step

Hi again!

I previewed a couple of those step work outs, Step Jam and Step Max, and I think those are still a little out of my reach. The choreography might be to complex for my 2 left feet--not that I can't aspire to them, but they might be too hard for me at this point. I'm hopless...or is that hapless--lol!

Another Idea

Michele:

Take a look at How to Get in Shape for Your Wedding (which is available on VHS). The choreography in that one is very simple. Cathe stays on one side of the step. No directional changes that I can remember. Do you have High Step Circuit yet? That would be another good one to preview. High Step Training (Advanced) is a butt-kicker, but the choreography is very basic. The original Interval Max is another one that is more athletic, but it is on the DVD with Rhythmic Step (which is my personal favorite). Do not even preview Rhythmic Step. ;-) You might faint just watching that choreography. :7 And stay far away from Step Blast. I love the more complex and dancy choreography, but my first experience with Step Blast was traumatic! Cathe lost me in the warmup, and it went downhill from there. :eek: It was worth the investment of time to master the choreography. I love it now. :) Can you handle the choreography in Low Impact Step?

I am at home today cleaning and packing for a trip, so I will be checking back in with you!

Blessings,
Heather B.

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).

RE: Another Idea

Just bumping this up as I'd like to see Cathe's response to this question. I took a while off and am now in week 4 of the "official" beginners rotation and was wondering the same thing.
Thanks,

Hi! I too was a beginner for the past three months or so. I went from Basic Step and Low Impact Step to Step Heat--it's a lot of fun and not too difficult to learn. After that, I went for Power Max and Power Hour (strength). They have been in my rotation for about 6 weeks now and I still love them. I recommend Cardio Hits (with Power Max, Step Works, and Step Fit) and Classics Volume One (with Step Heat, Step Jam, and Step Max)--those oughtta keep you busy for a while!
And don't get too intimidated by the choreography. I was too at first, but when I tried it, I was amazed at myself!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.