Need advice about bread

Biteset

Cathlete
I buy whole-grain or whole-wheat breads, the kinds that are little added sugar, no preservatives...just stuff like "100% stone-ground wheat, water, honey, raisin juice concentrate, salt, yeast"

The first couple of slices taste great. Trouble is, I don't eat bread often enough to finish the loaves while they're still fresh. They get moldy really fast. Wastes $$. Frustrating.

Advice? Do you perhaps freeze a loaf and pull out a slice as you go, briefly microwaving it to thaw it? Do you refrigerate it? Does it lose texture or flavor from either fridge or freezer?

Thanks,

Gisela (another person trying to give the "Eat Clean" thing a whirl)

I refrigerate all of my bread. It lasts a long time this way. I don't think it changes the texture or taste. JMO.

Nancy

I put my bread in the fridge, I don't find any changes in texture or flavor, it's just cold, sometimes I throw it in the toaster for a little bit.

I keep my bread in the fridge up to 14 days (but we usually go through a whole loaf faster than that). If you don't eat bread often, I probably would put 1/2 or 2/3 of the loaf in the freezer and just take them out when you need it.

I always keep one or two loafs in the freezer just in case I can't make it to the store, or the store is out of my favorite bread :)

Carola

I freeze the bread and take slices out as needed. I just put them in the toaster for a cycle or two. You could also microwave it.

Erica

I don't like refrigerated bread it gets dry and funny tasting to me. However, you can freeze bread for quite a while. Freeze the loaf, although sometimes the pieces stick so you may need to defrost a few at a time. Defrost in the microwave a few seconds, leave on the counter a half hr or so, or for toast stick it straight in the toaster - make take 2 cycles. Could also be where you're storing your bread. I used to keep it on top of the fridge when I lived in an apt. It was really warm up there and it would get moldy in 3 or 4 days. Keep it in a room temperature spot if you don't want to refrigerate or freeze. If you're going to refrigerate or freeze, also wrap it up well. You may want to keep it in the orig package then put that whole thing a a freeze bag. That way you won't get freezer taste or freezer fuzz.

I always refrigerate my bread. Not really for any other reason than I don't have any room to put it anywhere else. We don't eat a whole lot of bread so if it is an expensive bread I will freeze it. If not, I just throw it away.
LD

I always put loaves of bread in the freezer and take out a couple slices whenever I need them - they can be brought back to room temp by microwaving for 20-30 seconds, or you can put them right into the toaster if you're making toast. Freezing doesn't change the taste or texture at all, and I've never had a loaf get moldy before I could eat it. :)

Bread freezes just fine.
You could keep out 1/3-1/2 loaf (whatever you think you will eat within a week) and freeze the rest (either 2, 1/3 loaf packs, or 1, 1/2 loaf bag) and move it to the fridge when you're about to use the last slice of the first batch.

I always refrigerate bread. If it's a good, natural bread, it needs to be refrigerated to increase its useful life. Crappy white bread with preservatives could probably sit out for weeks without molding (but I'm highly suspicious of foods that even bacteria find to be inedible!).

I once bought some "Bakers Inn" bread (it seemed an okay bread in a pinch), had two slices, and didn't like it. I kept it refrigerated and forgot about it. When I was cleaning out the fridge a few months later, I was sure the bread would be green as can be from mold, but I was going to add it to my compost pile. When I unwrapped it, it was a bit dry, but not one speck of mold on it. Eeew!

>I buy whole-grain or whole-wheat breads, the kinds that are
>little added sugar, no preservatives...just stuff like "100%
>stone-ground wheat, water, honey, raisin juice concentrate,
>salt, yeast"

FYI: If your bread actually says "100% stone-ground wheat" and NOT "100% stone-ground WHOLE wheat," it's not a whole grain bread.

it's 100% stone-ground whole wheat bread.

I do have an Ezekiel loaf in my freezer--after I'm done with my current loaf, I'll try the Ez.

Thanks for everybody's input!

Gisela

I separate the loaf into several baggies. Freeze all but one. Then if it goes to waste I don't feel so bad. I think baked goods last about a month when frozen. Much longer and it will taste old. We do not eat a lot of bread so if I don't do this I throw it our. If I refrigerate it I prefer it toasted or as a grilled sandwich. Warmed a little in the microwave is ok.
http://wd.1ww.us
http://1ww.us/logo2.gif

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.