Need a good 30-40min video

Barbeqrn

I have finally gotten back into working out after having my first child 2 yrs ago!!! I get up early for work and need suggestions for shorter tapes you like that would give me a good workout...Cathe is alot harder now that I am out of shape cardiowise!!!!!!!!!! Ouch!!!!

Hi,
Check www.videofitness.com forum - they have plenty of information on which tapes are for what level and have reviews for LOTS of fitness videos, and great forum where people will surely help you. When you post there, mention what kind of tape you'd like: step, floor aerobics, toning, strength, Pilates, yoga... Do you like complex choreography or basic? High or low impact? Any particular instructors you like/don't like?

I am sure you'll get plenty of suggestions there,
Sorry I can not help - I am high intermediate doing advanced tapes (but modifying), so don't know much about aerobics beg-intermediate tapes unfortunately.

Best of luck,
Olga

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-02 AT 03:35PM (Est)[/font][p]Gin Miller's Intense Moves is pretty tough, 10 intervals but not as hard as Interval Max. It totals 45 minutes, but you could leave out the cool down, or shorten up the warmup or something. Maybe only do 9 of the intervals. And, Cathe's C/S/T is only 41 minutes.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-02 AT 06:27PM (Est)[/font][p]You could always shorten Cathe's cardio section (doing 2 out of 3 sections) on 4" step (or none at all). Of course, this is a lot easier with a DVD. Then slowly adding step height as you get better, and/or doing all sections when and if you have the time. In a way, you don't have to buy new videos -- just use the old ones. I always thought it always easy to modify an advanced workout to be a lower intense... but a lot harder to modify a low intense workout to a higher one - if you get what I mean. In this case, you always have room for improvement.

Another suggestion is Kathy Smith Kickboxing. It's only 30 mins. If you are not a kick boxer, this is a good beginner video too.

I also second mogambo's suggestion on Intense Moves. You can always cut the interval section short. Interval training is great for getting your body back in shape -- and Gin does give you several options for modification. You could get Intense Moves for $4.99 at www.musicgraveyard.com. Karen Voight Energy Sprint is also interval training with lower intensity. It is 90 min long including toning section. You could always leave that out. The only thing is the leg workout is done after warmup, before the aerobic phase -- you might want to skip that too.

Haslina

Kathy Smith's Lift Weights to Lose weight is an excellent beginner tape - she has two workouts - upper/lower each 20 min and then a 7 min. ab workout. It has all the basic weight lifting exercises - nothing advanced. Do these workouts and when you get stronger you will be ready to tackle Cathe.

Also, Charlene pricket has a tape More Muscle Less Fat - it has a nice but intense low-impact aerobic workout - I think it is 25 minutes and then a strength training workout - basic.

I love Denise Austin's Sizzler - it is 45 minutes - broken up into circuits - you do aerobics for 3 min. then strength training for a minute. She also has the short cut series.

You could try the Firm Vol I Classic series - just watch it first to figure out how heavy to go. All these tapes will get you in shape for Cathe - also go to collagevideo.com - you can chose videos based on your fitness level, type you want, etc. and then view short video clips of them -

Also, if you go to videofitness.com you can get reviews.

good luck.

I am embarrassed but which tape is C/S/T? I have all those tapes you mentioned ie Kathe Smith and Gin Millers, so thank you for the suggestions!!!! I really feel like I am still an intermediate as I run with the dog everyday and kind of kept in shape!!!!!

Kathy Smith

Kathy Smith has a somewhat recent tape out (Fat burning breakthrough, I think- green cover). I usually don't like her, but this tape is fun and adjustable to any level. It consists of:
warmup/stretch
wave 1- easy
wave 2- moderate
wave 3- tough
recovery
weights
REPEAT!!
abs, stretch

I think it's about 40 mins and a good total workout.

RE: shorter workout tapes

I prefer The Firm "Tough Cardio Mix", The Firm "Hare Workout", Tae-Bo Advanced, or Stephanie Steele's Cardio Kickboxing.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.