Need 3 STS questions answered please

john_and_am

So far, my wife and I are into Meso 2, week 3. The workouts have been great. Some sets are a bit rushed. Having to use the pause button at times to either catch my breath or get my weights, set up the step.

Question 1:
I'm a bit perplexed about the leg exercises. I am constantly feeling soreness in my tush or backside. I don't want this. It's great for my wife, as she likes to target that area. My butt is hard enough. People are beginning to use my cheeks as a bottle opener ...noooo, that was inappropriate. I'm just kidding around. ;) I want more concentration in my legs or quads. What am I doing wrong or what can I do to adjust this?

Question 2:
After my wife and I complete the 3 month training, should we move onto something else or should we start all over again? If this has been discussed before, I apologize.

Question 3:
What is everyone doing before and after the workout, with protein shakes and/or supplements? I was told to drink a whey protein shake and eat an apple BEFORE the workout. I've read that the protein is for the muscles and the apple has slow carbs for energy during the workout. After the workout eat a regular healthy meal. Please share your thoughts on this.

Thank you to all who answer.

Cheers!

John...I am ROFLMAO! Question 1 is HILARIOUS! My DH and I are on the last week of Meso 2. HE HATES LEGS. I can't help you other than to say check your form and work on flexibility. Those two areas are my husband's weaknesses when it comes to legs. We have been incorporating Stretch Max after each Leg workout.
Question 2 I think is a matter of preference. We are doing it again after updating our 1RMs.
Question 3 I also think is a matter of preference. We do our workout at 5 pm after work. We drink a glass of Emergen-C before the workout. I know many out in the CatheNation use protein drinks. We eat a healthy meal about 45 min. after working out instead. :)
HTH
And keep your sense of humor! :)

Thank you for your reply marnold! I always have a good sense of humor. It's good for the soul.

That is what I'm trying to figure out for legs. It could be my form or balance. Maybe my glutes should be going back more, instead of down. I'm not sure. Hopefully we'll receive a few more posts.

It's great to read different preferences and different perspectives.

We also have a healthy meal AFTER the workout. However, I could never do a Cathe workout without a protein shake and an apple or banana. I will crash hard if I don't have something before and won't make it through. Jay Robb's Whey Protein tastes so incredibly good and is really high quality. It does wonders for me, but may be different for someone else.

BTW, that looks like a cute German Shepherd in your avatar.

It is funny that you mention balance issues. My DH has had trouble with his form (knees coming to close to his toes when doing squats) which I think throws him off balance.
I also think he has used poor form in the past which makes him also feel off balance when using the proper form...does that make sense?
I was fortunate to start lifting weights with Cathe from the very beginning. Her form is impeccable so I think good form comes naturally to me. As for your butt, pushing it back like you are about to sit in a chair is my motto. Also pushing through your heel when doing split stance squats seems to help form issues for me. I have suggested that DH watch the Cathe TV episodes for some of the more specific STS exercises (plate work comes to mind). She gives extra form pointers there. Good luck!

I love your doggie too! Australian Shepherd? They are very popular in my neck of the woods. :)

Last edited:
bottle openers, etc.

John - Very funny post ... I like to target my quads more, too (though I'd be ok with a 'bottle opener butt,' as well). A lot of times, I elevate my heels on a 2 x 4 for squats. This shifts the workload a bit more into the front of the legs. Also for me, it helps me keep my balance better. I have very long legs and big feet. I'm really careful about form and going pretty heavy even in meso 2. Keeping my knees behind my toes (they're a looong way out there, so I try to keep my knees as much over my ankles as I can) AND my weight back in my heels AND my chest upright/back straight ... that's got some interesting leverage issues going on. Long thighs have the weights WAY back there. So, I've found that elevating my heels allows me to drive through them without feeling like I'm gonna topple over backwards. I'm also really flexible, so this doesn't apply to me, but I read that this elevation technique is also helpful if you have problems with flexibility. Once you get used to this approach and secure in your form (it feels a bit different), you (or at least I) really feel it in the quads.

I've also heard there's a window post workout (about 30 - 60 minutes) that's an optimal time to take in a protein-simple carb combination to aid in muscle rebuilding. Your muscle's are especially receptive at this time. Maybe you've heard of this and if you and your wife take in these nutrients before your workout, perhaps they're still in your system and ready to go? I don't know. I just try to drink a protein drink right when I'm done (20-25 grams). I have a real problem with being VERY NOT HUNGRY for quite a while after I work out. The thought of eating actually makes me kinda queezy.

These are just a couple things that have been working for me. Thanks for the smile/laugh from your post. My best to you and your wife. I think it's so cool when I hear about couples doing this program together.

~ Lori

Your rear end must be very useful at parties. ;)

I'm not sure about the first question. There's probably a way to modify to change the focus of the exercise. Although, it may be that you are probably still getting plenty of leg work in there, but are feeling it more in the glutes. So, you're probably still getting a great lower body workout, including the glutes. Really, can a rear end get too hard? :D

Regarding the second - as others said, this is a matter of preference. You can do it over, or try the 6-month option. Right now I'm on a weight loss plan (lower calorie), so my plan is to redo the cycle (possibly 6-month) on a weight (muscle) gain plan, after I lower my body fat. It's hard for me to lose fat and gain muscle simultaneously, so right now I'm using STS to maintain muscle while I lose weight.

Regarding the third question - there's are a lot of differing views on this. I haven't seen a lot of evidence that strongly supports any of them. Do what seems to feel good for you. I don't eat before my morning workouts, but this does not seem to be popular choice. I am working on weight loss, so I probably do things differently.

These are fantastic answers and very helpful!

Lori, I will certainly try elevating my heels. I am pushing through my heels. Cathe has said many times, "Feel it in the glute." I find that I feel it in the glute too much, so maybe this heal elevation will give me that feeling in my quad. Yes, it is great for couples to workout together, if the two are both interested in the program. We both find it challenging and we NEVER get bored. We also have a Bowflex, for times when we want to change it up a bit.

Edit: I also can get that not-so-hungry feeling after a workout. I've read that the queezy feeling can be from not flushing your body and/or the lactic acid buildup in your muscles. You can try and take a bite of something small to get your taste buds going. Thank goodness for organic foods.

healthy_vegan, your response is just as helpful. It is a matter of preference, but it is wonderful to read what everyone eats or drinks before and after a workout. You can certainly burn more calories, working out in the morning before eating anything. I was just mentioning for me, even for a guy, I need to have something in my bellay before I work out with Cathe's DVDs. Can your backside ever be too hard? No, I guess not, but I don't want to walk around looking like two bowling balls balancing on two chop sticks. :D

On a side note, Cathe does inspires me and keeps me humble.

Last edited:
As for number 3, I read that drinking a glass of chocolate milk after a workout was the perfect carb/protein mix to replenish your body after a weight workout.

I woork out in the morning and so like healthy_vegan rarely eat anything (if I do it's tiny tiny, b/c my stomach cant handle too much plus I dont have time to wait for it to digest before working out. I do however keep a glass of water with me.

Although I probably need to start having snacks or something for after the workout

I am hypoglycemic so I really don't have a choice on eating before working out but what I have noticed is that when I start with my protein shake (with a 2:1 or 3:1 carbs to protein ratio) drinking 1/4 before, 1/2 during (siping it along with water) and then the last 1/4 after, I am not nearly as sore, and my energy for the next workout is greatly improved. I think it does make a difference.

As to repeating STS after this rotation, why not? Cathe has said you can. I'd do your 1RM testing over again since you'll have strength gains!

And I have no answers for you on the legs/glute issue, except to have your wife watch your form while doing legs. Maybe she can spot form irregularities that you could improve!

Gosh, I wish I had your problem in Question #1! I'm doing STS with my husband and he really doesn't love the leg exercises either. However, his form has improved and he's actually using weights now, so he's making progress.

Look at it this way: The more muscle you have, the more calories you can burn and the more you can eat. At least that's what I tell my husband!

As for our next rotation, my husband wants to do STS again. I'm thinking about getting back to my kettlebells. The jury is still out on this one.

And last: I have a whey protein shake with nonfat milk that I drink as I work out (and I sip water). My husband uses some BSN products (NoXplode before and Cellmass after) in addition to his whey protein shake. Then I have nothing until breakfast about 2 hours later.

I'm glad to see that so many men are doing STS. My husband really likes the system and says the workouts are "do-able."

I'm glad to see that so many men are doing STS. My husband really likes the system and says the workouts are "do-able."

I would be surprised if men DIDN'T try STS. I've tried a few things in the past from other programs unrelated to Cathe. I'm not putting Cathe up on a pedestal, but her workouts are by far the most effective I have ever experienced. They are not easy and they do work. If a guy is reluctant to try it, maybe he doesn't realize how challenging the program is. He's not informed. I still think Power Hour is a battle. STS is no girlie workout, for lack of a better word.

Hi John,

Question Two- I think that this would depend on what your fitness and strength training goals are and how your body responds to STS. My husband and I are doing STS together and after we complete it (we are in Meso three), we are considering doing STS again but adapting STS to an undulating periodization program

Question three- I drink a protein shake while doing my workout. I generally eat oatmeal about 90 minutes prior to doing my workout.

Question one- Is there any particular exercise that you feel it more in your backside? Some leg exercises are meant to target your backside more.

PS- I' wouldn't mind having your backside of steel!

Question one- Is there any particular exercise that you feel it more in your backside? Some leg exercises are meant to target your backside more.

Hey Regina. No, it's not any particular leg exercise. It is all of them. My legs will feel very weak after the workout, but the soreness ends up in the caboose. If I add more weight, it still goes there. I will try the idea of putting something under the heels while I'm doing the squats to see if I can target my quads better. I have to find the target "sweet spot". It seems everyone here is trying to target the glutes and I'm trying to target the legs. It could be something to do with how a person stands and places their own weight or balance. I know that I have a habit of placing the weight of my body on the outside arches of my feet. Some people place that pressure on the inside or inner arch. Maybe that has something to do with it. Perhaps, someone here can try and change that focus and see if it works for them. Little subtleties can make a difference. Sorry for the long posts. I type way too fast.

As soon as I figure out the cause of my ignorance, I will gladly post it here. :D

I'm very surprised to see how many people are drinking protein shakes while they are working out. That is interesting.

marnold said:
I love your doggie too! Australian Shepherd? They are very popular in my neck of the woods.
Slightly off topic, but wanted to answer. Oh, yes. That is my Australian Shepherd, Guinness. He is the smartest dog I've ever had. It's scary sometimes.

Last edited:
The Sweet Spot

John - I kept thinking about squats on and off all day, after reading your post earlier. Your more recent comment about the "sweet spot:" ... yah. That's what I ended up thinking about. So, when I saw that you'd used that term ... ironic. It took me years to really get form down on squats (Though that's likely still and ever ongoing). I imagine I'm pretty lucky I didn't blow my knees or back out. But there's something beyond technical form that comes into play, I think, with all exercises.

I didn't "get" that for a long time - just stumbled (luckily) on it through keeping at it, I suppose. It has to do with really feeling the muscle load, then staying with it through the whole range of motion without losing that intensity. It's not easy to describe because I think your form can be 'correct' but this extra awareness can be missing - something more to do with having your mind in the muscle. It's tricky (for me) cuz I do need to keep mentally checking/monitoring form while also getting into the muscle and that sweet spot. I'm getting better at doing both and I imagine you know what I'm talking about or you'd not have used the term. The shifts in weight or your plane of travel can be so slight - maybe not even discernable visually, but they make all the difference and profoundly influence how you feel the movement/contraction and work of an exercise.

This may be old news to you but it was such an epiphany for me and over the years it's a distinction I apply to every exercise. Sorry. I type fast too - but I don't hear this talked about very much - exploring the movement - the subtleties - within the context of good form - and I think it's a pivotal point.

Having rambled on about all this, there are a couple other things that come to mind which have helped me isolate my quads more in squats. I do the eccentric phase of the movement a bit more slowly. This is the time when I seem to be finding/settling down into the muscle. I also pause briefly in the loaded position (once I "find" it) and do the eccentric phase with more power. In this though, I make sure there's no forward movement AT ALL (insofar as that's possible) with my chest - no leaning forward. I think you can get away with a tiny bit of a forward movement in the chest without losing lumbar integrity. Your shoulders are still back and you're upright, so technically your form's still ok. But when I can really 'fix' my upper body - shoulders over my hips - and assure they travel up at the same speed (shoulders and hips) that seems to help hit (and stay with) the quad.

Also, I prefer to do squats a little slower than Cathe's speed in STS, but I can still do them as described above, at her tempo. It's mostly a mental way of noticing the phases through the movement plane.

I think you already have your answers - it sounds like you do. Again, forgive me if my comments are already obvious for you (and long). This thread was just so interesting to me - I love squats (in a strange, twisted way) - and went through a lot of trial and error before they really clicked and I got that "ah hah" moment with them. I'm glad the elevated heels idea was at least potentially helpful. Sounds like you've got plenty of knowledge and support ... plus handy kitchen utensils, to boot. You've kinda put a whole new twist on "functional fitness."

My Best To You Both, Lori

Lori, thank you for your insightful post. It is so helpful. I appreciate it very much. It makes perfect sense. Again, I can't wait to try the raised heel technique. I also realize I may be too stiff in my movement and that can keep the muscles from guessing. Perhaps I should stay loose and relaxed while beginning the squat and then try to be explosive, really push when standing up. It's possible I'm so focused on trying to target so much, that I am tense and my movement is limited.

I love all of the exercises, except for the plates. The sliding is not very comfortable for me. That's when I really get cautious. I stiffen up, change my balance and it all goes to my glutes.

Cathe's high stepping with weights is great to prepare me for hiking in the Grand Canyon. The Bright Angel trail is very dangerous when going back up from the bottom. That's when you really need some legs. Marathon runners and people not aware of the dangers have died or had to be taken out by helicopter. About 250 people a year have to be rescued. Talk about a brutal workout! The last time my wife and I hiked, we only went to the halfway point. To give you an idea, it took us 5 - 6 hours round trip. Imagine for half of that time, going back up and climbing up on steps that are very wide. After STS, I'll be much stronger for it, whenever I make it back there again. That was the most challenging thing I've ever experienced.

Question 1: Trying subbing some of the legs excerises with ones that target the glutes and quads such as barbell hack or stiff legged deadlifts. Also when you do the wall squats instead of coming back up - do leg extension.

Question 2: Since I will be completing M3 around the 3rd week in May, I plan to do start over using M1 & M2 doing one body part a day for June & July.

Question3: I don't eat before I workout in the am, but I do chew a FSR chew, which gives me energy and help with my endurance. Then I have a protein shake.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.