Navel piercing and ab work

akizora

Cathlete
OK, weird question, but I thought I'd try. 2 weeks ago I got my belly button pierced. It still smarts when I stretch or touch the jewelry. One consequence of this I didn't really think about was that I cannot do any ab exercises, or even any workouts that involve twisting motions. KPC was pretty painful for me last night, and I didn't even attempt the abs section. They told me it would take 4-6 months to heal, but I can't imagine it'll be this long before I can seriously work my abs again. Anyone have any experience with this?
Amy:+

My belly button got infected big time! But it never hurt like that.What about plank work? There you go! You can do that!

If it hurts don't do it.Mine didn't hurt but it looked awful and I didn't think I was going to have the patience to let it heal.Plus she told me it would take a full yr to heal.It healed in about 4 monthes and I haven't had a problem with it since.
Be patient b/c it will take a while to heal.But you should be able to do ab work within the next little while.
Lori:)

Hi Amy, I have had mine for about 7years and never have had a problem except when I use a cheap piercing. When I first got mine done he told me to use Betadine to clean it daily and to not let your pant button rub against it if possible, I had no trouble with doing sit-ups though. Hope one of these suggestions help. Lori

I don't have my naval pierced anymore because it migrated out, but I just got my nose pierced. I was told to use tea tree oil on it and wash it twice a day with antibacterial soap. I don't know how much different the naval would be, but the tea tree oil really seemed to help with healing. I don't have any soreness in the piercing at all and havn't had since starting to use the oil. Maybe you could try that. Good luck with it.:)

I got mine done when I was about 43 years old in Vegas on a dare from DH...LOL. (He no longer dares me to do anything any longer.) It took about 4-5 months total to heal, but I did was soak it in small inverted dixie cups of epsom salts nightly and had no problems. I was bad....getting my first piercing done with 14 carrot gold posts which is really not recommended for healing (my skin tone does not look good in silver so I refused to get surgical steel.) I had no absolutely no problems healing and the only time the piercing bothered me was if I wore pants that were fairly high waisted which are really not the style now or if I sat down and my pants zipper jabbed it. The "initial big soreness" you're experiencing should really wear off in about another 3 to 6 weeks for you, but it does take a very long time to heal.

Between you and me, I love mine and so does DH and I have a lot of navel bling to prove it;)

Robin:)

Thanks for your advice everyone! I'm still wondering how long it takes before you can workout without pain. Any ideas?
Amy:+

My situation was the same as Robin (minus the DH and gold ;)

The worst for me was I always sleep on my stomach and couldn't for ages. I've had mine done for about 4 years now.

Its really about 3-4 weeks that it hurt and then the total healing was forever. I never believed it would take 6-9 mos but it did.

I had surgical steel with a blue stone. I still wear it sometimes. I don't have expensive ones and I've never had a problem.

out of all the numerous piercings that people can get, the navel heals the slowest. averaging at around 8 months. for me, it took a good three to four weeks before it didn't smart from movement. it varies for everyone though and just depends on how fast you heal. make sure you aren't wearing tight clothing on it of course. and i would just suggest not trying to do any fast ab motions. so maybe slower, more concentrated ab work. i still have pain with my barbell when the bottom ball catches on the top of my pants when i'm sitting down and it starts to twist it upwards. oh, that hurts!
good luck and i'm sure the end healed result is gonna look fabulous!
maddie

If I may, I would suggest trying perhaps putting a little Polysporin or similar ointment on it before doing ab work. It's likely the skin that's pulling and if you lube it up a bit, it might slide more easily:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.