nastiness on the internet

workingToBeFit

Cathlete
Does anyone else sometimes feel like there is so much mean stuff on the internet they just don't want to look at it anymore? I love this forum, and please know right away, I am not talking about this forum! But, I got really flamed in a very nasty way on a different forum today, in a really unfair and mean fashion, and I am just feeling crummy about it. I try hard to always write friendly and respectful posts everywhere, and while I know I must fail at that sometimes, I always, always try to be NICE. I also am really shocked by the things people will write about other people to supposedly "evaluate" them - i.e. web sites with reviews of doctors and so on. I am not a doctor but I have relatives and friends who are, and I am in a profession where I do see internet "evaluations" for myself and the friends who are people I work with - ugh, very nasty stuff. Right now I just feel like giving up on the whole on line discussion situation.

Sorry to hear you've had a bad experience online and people haven't been nice. There is a lot of nastiness online and I think people feel that they can say anything because they are hidden away behind their computer screen.

However I feel that there is a lot of good online and on this site there are some wonderful ladies who are passionate about fitness and are happy to share with others their fitness ideas and advice.

Hi Ann! I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. Sadly it goes on everywhere and I do agree that I think some people are especially rude when they know they are not "seen".

As for our forums, we work hard to keep our forums free of flame wars and disrespectful comments but if you ever witness something that doesn't sit well with you, please bring it to our attention (through customer service) and we'll look into it.

Hope you have a better day!

Ann I am sorry that you are feeling crummy and I hope things lighten up for you soon.

Saundra

Thanks for all of the replies! Cathe especially, thank you for providing this great fitness forum and thanks to you and all the staff for keeping this forum thoughtfully and wisely moderated. This is pretty much the only online forum I trust to be friendly and VERY informative. You and the folks here are the greatest. That can only happen with all of the hard work put in by web site administrators, and a huge bunch of great people participating. Thank you everyone. As I said my crummy experience today - was somewhere else - which will go un-named. I read this Cathe forum every day, and I can't say that about any other web sites!

It is sad how people use the internet as if hiding behind a screen with no repercussion. In the past week or so, I have been on news story sites that allow comments from the readers. One article was about a man who jumped to his death off the local freeway mix master, and people said the most awful things about him. The other was a car accident where two college students died and people were making up unfounded reasons for the wreck. Do the people who post these mean things, not realize that family and friends may see these comments.?Aren't the friends and family in enough pain without seeing these unjust comments? I wish society would grow up and take responsibility for its actions. A kind word goes a lot farther than a harsh one.

To borrow the words from Thumper " If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all".

Jean

Jean, it's funny that you wrote that, because I was just thinking it! My mother, God rest her soul, used to say to me, ALL the time, "remember what Thumper said." And it has stuck with me. I always do my best to live by that. It's nice to know I am not the only person who remembers that line from the Disney movie!

I'm sorry you were flamed. I think sometimes people are a little more brave online than they would be face to face. Then again, some people are rude in person so i would expect the same online. Try not to let it bother you. They aren't worth it.

I think the moderators here do a great job of keeping the atmosphere pleasant. I do remember there was a period when even on here, certain members would get really nasty with each other.

nastiness on the net

I totally understand that there are so many nasty post on the web I think there are alot of unhappy people in their personal lives and they are in no position to do any thing about it such as a bad relationship or maybe a nasty boss .
so when they can get the chance to get online the become someone else they get mean say and do cruel things in web threads or any open forum.

What ever you do do not take it personal thats what they want. what really is sad when you read about a bully who causes a person to end their lives I think there need to be laws pass were people who bully on line have to pay for their actions .

There even can be some here but thank goodness Cathe and her staff will handle it when the become aware of it thanks Cathe.

Keep posting on boards never let a rude or nasty person keep you from doing what you enjoy and remember it not that you are wrong if you post a good post people can be jerks with a keyboard in their hand

I hope your feelings are a little less hurt you sound like a wonderful lady never let anyone stop you or make you not like yourself enjoy the forums
Have a wonderful day:)

Adding on to what others have said...I think sometimes people read or interpret messages the wrong way. And they feel the need to attack so quickly. It's sad that they feel the need to put someone down. Don't let it bother you...people are a lot braver behind a computer screen. People are quick to judge too without knowing you and your background.

Yeah, I totally agree. I'm reluctant to post comments about things sometimes because people just let their dark sides out when they know nobody knows it's them. That's why I try to keep my opinions to myself about anything controversial. The comfort I get from seeing the nasty messages is that the people who write them usually have horrible spelling and grammar, so I know they're not that bright. LOL - ok, I know a lot of extremely smart people who can't spell, but still.

some folks use anonymity as a shield and say things they'd never, ever say in person, to your face. also, pack mentality applies. people are a little like dogs. one dog would seldom do what a pack will readily do. and online, dog packs form easily. (I love dogs, but sometimes when they get in a group, well, you know)

Rudeness seems to be an epidemic. ITA about the pack mentality.

On a lighter note...I love your avatar Dixiedog6...I'm a huge doxie fan, I had two, a little brown one & a black & tan...I call them Canis Major & Canis Minor now, gone but not forgotten...:) best two little dogs there ever were! The little Cairn I have now is special too, completely ridiculous he is!

Linda

There are definitely a lot of people who use the virtual anonymity of the Internet to spew hate and to be nasty, and it goes beyond the 'things sound more abrupt in writing when you can't hear tone of voice' type of bluntness/rudeness that sometimes is perceived even without intent.

Guess I'm at a stage where I don't care enough about people's comments. I think to myself "Does this person impact my life in any way? Do they pay my bills? Etc"

I agree with other posters here that people use the internet becaue no one can see them, they're hidden and find the nerve to say things they wouldn't say in person.

I like these forums too, in fact this is the only forum I come into because I don't have time for all the nonsense that goes on elsewhere. I don't even belong to facebook or anything, it just takes too much energy for me.

Don't let what these other folks said to you bother you, you have more important things to do :)

some folks use anonymity as a shield and say things they'd never, ever say in person, to your face. also, pack mentality applies. people are a little like dogs. one dog would seldom do what a pack will readily do. and online, dog packs form easily. (I love dogs, but sometimes when they get in a group, well, you know)

Well said.

It can get seriously crazy when these angry people decide to take it to the next level & stalk you. I had to permanently sign off FB b/c some NY attny with whom I had a political argument something like 6 or 8 mos ago just contacted my employer & told him I threatened him physically. Yeah, b/c a 110 lb woman can be so threatening to a 200 lb man. :rolleyes: And if he felt so threatened, why not act on it when it supposedly occurred instead of more than half a year later? IMO this is just another form of stalking. I mean, I work my butt off here, only to have it all threatened by some vengeful nutcase? Just a hate filled, spiteful crackpot who wants me to lose my job b/c we don't share the same political views. The world is going mad!!!!!

I got these kind of people living next door to me. But hopefully we've gotten to the point where they will keep away from me because the town officials have pretty much told them they're stupid.

As far as FB or anything like that.... unless I actually KNOW you (or are someone from Cathe.com), I don't accept you as a friend and you can't access my information. It's pretty easy to avoid cyber bullying. You can even block text messages from specified numbers.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.