Myofascial Pain

db5

Cathlete
Anyone out there deal with myofascial pain and trigger points? I have them in my neck and shoulders. Any helpful tips??

Classical Stretch and the foam roller has helped tremendously with my myofascial pain. Reading Miranda Esmond White's book gave a great explanation of what myofascial pain is. Myo=muscle fascia=the lining around the muscle. It isn't life threatening but it really hurts when the fascia gets twisted, which it often does. Miranda explained it like as when your sweater gets twisted...it bothers you until you get it straightend out. So too with the fascia, you either need to stretch it out or press it on a foam roller. Since it isn't a bone, chiropractors don't help too much with this kind of pain...unless they massage it. Relief comes when the fascia is back where it is supposed to be. I had hip pain for years until I stretched with Classical stretch moves and the roller. Currently I am using stretch and the roller for a neck/shoulder/bicep tendon injury.
Hope you get some relief soon. I fully know your pain. :)

Hi, I really need to learn more about this since i have such problems with it. I use the foam rollers for my legs and back but have a hard time with my neck. I looked her up and found a few VHS tapes I will order but can you give me the name of the book you said you read? I would sooo appreciate it!!
Skye

>Hi, I really need to learn more about this since i have such
>problems with it. I use the foam rollers for my legs and back
>but have a hard time with my neck. I looked her up and found a
>few VHS tapes I will order but can you give me the name of the
>book you said you read? I would sooo appreciate it!!
>Skye

Skye, Miranda's book is called Classical Stretch: The Esmonde Technique The Textbook. The cheapest place I found to buy it is at Amazon.com, because on Miranda's website it is more expensive. It has a lot of pictures of muscles/bones etc., but I even found THAT fascinating. The book explains how the body works and how Classical Stretch works with the body. The book is expensive, so if you don't want to purchase it, and if you can't find it at your library, you can download about 55 or so pages from Miranda's website. But of course the book is more detailed. HTH
:) I can identify with your neck pain. Have you tried the stretch/contract/relax/then stretch further technique (PNF) on your neck? I found this suggestion by Miranda (and Amy Bento), to really help my neck pain. Turn your head/neck to one side as far as you can go...contract the muscles...relax...then turn further.... Do this slowly 3xs each side. I would hold the moves to a count of 10. Then do the same technique by stretching your ear to shoulder. Do this everyday. I was told these moves will strenghten the neck. :)

Wanda, thanks for all the suggestions! I really appreciate it. I will get a couple of her stretch videos. Having a bit of trouble locating the book in the library but I will look up some others and get a better understanding of why this happens. Its very interesting stuff.

:7

Hi...haven't posted much...but this caught my eye...briefly,I've been training one way or another for over 30 years...running,gym,and now,for about 5 years, do Cathe's tapes/dvd s at home,and still run,although I've had problems with hip area...saw an osteopath after getting 2 "mechanical" assessments(one of which was totally useless and cost $$$ for nothing)Did all the stretches religiously for 3 - 4 months...now I am back doing step and weights..I find my lumbar region (front over hip bones and back...like an arc around each side)hurts all the time, and seems to travel up to the neck also.....and I do do abs...I'm 53 and probably starting menopause...should I try to get an MRI to see if there's something wrong...about 12 osteo visits didn't solve anything...I've gone from being extremely fit,to "hurting" all the time...I want to pre-order the STS series,but am wondering what to do..
HELP!!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.