My Shoulders Aren't Getting Stronger

sparrow

Cathlete
hi Cathe:

First let me say that I love your workouts. I'm 36 and never have I felt so healthy and strong. So, thanks. :)

My questions involves my shoulders. I have been lifting for a few years now, doing your workouts regularly for about a year. I am generally satisfied with my strength and definition gains - except for my shoulders. they are toned but I would like more definition.(You can see the definition when I flex but otherwise they just look like nice toned shoulders.) the problem is I can't seem to make any gains with shoulder strength. Despite lifting regularly I can't do more than 12 lbs on overhead presses, and those only a few and often with bad form! Even tens are difficult and uncomfortable. Could it be that I have just maxed out my shoulder's ability to lift overhead? Maybe my flexibility there is bad? Any thoughts you have will be much appreciated, as I'm really frustrated and tired of languishing in the Land of Eight Pound Presses :)

Thanks!

Sparrow

Not Cathe but I am a trainer who has personally struggled with this issue!

If you really want to boost your shoulder strength and lift heavy, you might have to ignore (at least for a while) the rep counts on videos. Choose a heavier weight but go slower, and do fewer reps. Even take a little break in the middle of a set if you need to. In time you will build up more strength and will be able to lift heavier. You likely will need longer rests between your sets if you can do only 8 or fewer reps of a certain weight.

This is a big however -- the shoulder isn't necessarily meant to hoist big weight in isolation -- it's a delicate joint, and so you should be very careful when you're lifting heavy. Use controlled motions and listen to your body, and use perfect form.

Also, if you have access to a gym, try the assisted pullup machine and go heavy (after at least one lighter warmup set). Pullups do GREAT things for the upper back and shoulders!

I have the same issue too. I would love to have the ball-like appearance on my shoulders. I also can only see some definition when flexing, but upper arms are the last part where I lose body fat and I still have a fair amount of fat in there, so it is not surprising.

Well I'm not a personal trainer but from my own experience it took me many years to be able to lift "heavier" w/ my shoulder work. I despaired over how difficult shoulder work was for me (overhead press, so hard!) but after a long time of consistently working out, I was able to lift heavier. Same thing w/ pushups, took me so long before I could do them on my toes. Upper body work is just tough tough. I can pretty much handle cathe-weight now except for her tricep weight - it'll be a long time b/f I can match her in tricep weight amounts. Just keep at it and you'll get there.

Hi Sparrow! Try the following:

#1) On overhead presses....

Do them seated with good back support. Be sure to keep your back fully pressed up against the back of the chair. It is best if you have a very high back seated weight bench that supports your back all the way up to your trap muscles.

#2) Go slower with lower reps on overhead presses (alternate using the barbell one workout and then dumbells the next) say for 5 sets of 6 reps. On first two or three sets of the 5 total sets, work negatives by pressing up for 2 counts and lowering down for 6 counts.

#3) To bring out more definition, do higher reps and lighter weights on your front and rear delt raises (3 sets of 15). Also, use the green band if you have it and do high reps on the rotator cuff exercise where we stand and keep our arms bent 90 degrees at our sides (elbows still), while our hands rotate away from the center of our body. I usually just do those until I can't do another rep.

#4) Work with a trainer (if possible) for motivation, precision, and safety.

But right now be sure to take a full week to 10 days off of shoulder work to let the muscles fully recover.

Then train shoulders no more than two times per week with about three days recovery in between. Remember that back and chest workouts call upon the shoulders a lot so do your shoulder workout on the same day as those body parts and/or try to space these workouts out by about three days (ie: Mon...back, shoulders, and biceps.....Friday...chest, shoulders, triceps).

Good Luck~

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.