My neighbor was peeking in my basement window

LauraMax

Cathlete
last night while I was doing Core Blast in my basement. I've got a couple of guys (one old dude & one younger dude, not exactly sure of their relationship) living next door. One of them was walking by & literally stopped, bent down, & watched me for a few minutes. And he KNEW I saw him! WTF? Am I wrong to feel a little creeped out by this? Should I say something or just leave it alone?

I briefly considered covering the windows but it'd be so dark down there, plus I shouldn't have to!

What would you do?

The same thing happened to me a few years ago while I was still living at my parent's house! I was so disturbed by it that I stopped doing my squats and started cursing him out! It was TOTALLY CREEPY! Maybe my approach wasn't the most tactful, but I was so caught off guard and couldn't believe he had the nerve!

Anyway, it never happened again, and I didn't have to cover the windows...

Ewww. Yes, despite the fact that they were probably admiring you, I would be creeped out - especially since they KNEW you saw them! :eek:

This is why I shut the blinds in my windows when I work out. I live out in the country and no one across the road would *probably* see me, but I'm just paranoid after living in an urban area with neighbors who could see me all the time (in one of my old apts, you could sit in your bathroom and look right into the next door neighbor's bathroom - no thank you!).

Good luck!

Hi Laura!
That is definitely creepy and inappropriate! If you feel uncomfortable approaching the guy yourself, do you have a husband/boyfriend/brother or male friend in your life who could talk to this guy for you? I guess you could always cover the windows, I know feel you shouldn't have to, but it's really a harmless solution. I can't believe the nerve of some people!

-CC

Way creepy!! I would do something especially since he knows you saw him. He might think you "liked" having him watch you and if he's a real creep, that could be worse. In my book, better to be safe, cover the window completely and put another light down there.

Like you said, you shouldn't have to since it's your place, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Too many weirdos out there.

Jonahnah
From now on, I'm going to be more decisive. Possibly.

Call the cops, Laura. Get 'em for trespassing and peeping, or whatever it's legally called.

Girl, he's on his own property! And I do have to live next door to these people for years to come, I'd certainly prefer to resolve this without law enforcement!

It was pretty suprising--enough to stop me mid crunch LOL. Hopefully it was just a one time thing? If it happens again I think I'll at least cover the window on that side, it's just freaking me out too much.

That is definitely creepy. How about using a frosted window covering? They let in a lot of light while blocking the view. We just put some on our new bathroom windows. Got it at Lowes.

Oh - you're that close together. Sorry! Then I guess it'd be best to approach them and politely ( ;) ) tell them to mind their own business. But yeah, covering the window would be a good idea - do you have windows on the other side that will let daylight in?

That is creepy!! I would let it go this one time but if it happens again, stop right there, walk up to him at the window, smile sweetly and say "I prefer not to have an audience while I'm working out" and stare him down until he leaves. Then cover the window and get some more light down there!

Yes, creepy, but since you said you need to stay civil with each other as neighbors... can you tell him next time you expect him to do the workout? Outside? By himself?

Just a thought but I think I would consider that, based on the guy.

Oh, Laura -- that is definitely creepy! I like LAWoman's idea -- call him on it if it happens again, and, if that doesn't work, think about covering your window.

Uhmmm, this is a situation where you don't want to act on the cautious side. That is NOT normal to watch someone and continue to watch someone when they see you. Most NORMAL people would walk away embarrassed. If this weirdo didn't react that way there is no limit to what he can do. My little bro has been a police office with the SFPD- (San Francisco Police Dept) for 9 years and he talks about getting calls like this all the time. It is the police's job to serve, protect, and document. You'll want it on paper so that if there is a repeat offense you can evidence. Just call your local PD and at least file a report. Forget civil, you don't have to live with the guy after all. I mean someone needs to tell this guy that that kind of behavior is NOT okay. Oh, and get yourself a bat, a very heavy wooden bat! Stay safe.

He probably heard the music and wanted to join the party :D Seriously, how about planting some bushes or putting up some kind of screen outside. I'm sure he would get the hint without you even saying anything.

I don't like people looking at me either. I workout in my garage but close the door 3/4 of the way so people driving by can't see me.

If I was walking past your basement window and noticed you were working out, I would totally peek. I'd also wave. I'd then come back later to pay a neighbourly visit.

Cant say I blame him at all Laura Max! I've seen your pics.

But yes, you should feel creeped out. And be careful.

If he does it again stop working out and say "Hey - it is rude to peek."

Hopefully you will be doing Strike Zone next time and he will know you mean business. Sorry, could not resist that!

If he does it a third time, even after you yell, seriously consider covering your window and working out in the dark. That incident sounded very creepy to me.

~* Vrinda *~

Man that is creepy. Maybe you could plant a really stickly rose bush or something in front of the window, if you don't want to cover it totally, but I'd cover it in the mean time and get another light source.....and a big, mean dog.

Maggie

I would have a camera ready every time I worked out for awhile. If he peeks in, act like you don't see him and pick up the camera and turn and take a quick snapshot before he can think twice. You'll probably get a deer-in-the-headlights look. I doubt he'll want to peek in again after that...now that he knows you have evidence of his pervertedness.

[font face="script" color=magenta size=+1]*~Dallys~*[/font]

www.picturetrail.com/keeponthesunnyside

OMG! Now you guys are cracking me up! OK I will talk to him if it happens again. I think that's fair & reasonable.

Also I like the idea of that frosted glass covering. I like that idea a lot! That stuff is just peel & stick, isn't it?

Janie, you've never seen a north Jersey neighborhood have you? We practically DO live together our houses are so $%^&* close together. In fact, I don't think the property under my window is even mine. I think it's his driveway.

He did snag a peek at me in my workout clothes a few weeks ago at about 6 am--I was standing on my back stairs drinking coffee & watching the dogs. His sudden appearance definitely took me by surprise--I wasn't expecting anyone to be outside that time of day & I felt a little exposed b/c my home stuff has much less coverage than my gym stuff. I hope that wasn't some stupid trigger for something.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.