My Mesocycle 2 Preview Review!!!!

BelovedHeather

Cathlete
I had a rest day at home thanks to a stomach bug, so I took a long nap and made the most of the day off work by previewing Mesocycle 2. The first mesocycle (endurance) has relatively fast paced workouts with the fun factor of Supersets. This second mesocycle (hypertrophy) is slower and more serious weight training with rest breaks of a minute or longer between sets. The first mesocycle appears to be good for fat burning. This is the muscle building month of the journey! I am craving protein just watching it! LOL! The music is just as inspiring. I am cleaning and organizing my workout room and toys as I preview! Cathe shares an abundance of form pointers, encouragement, and affirmation. I believe these workouts will require more mental focus than the endurance workouts. Cathe is just as warm and friendly, and I am ready to embrace the challenge when that day arrives! These workouts seem to be more about working to failure at your own pace instead of keeping up with Cathe and crew. Cathe encourages everyone to go at their own pace because "this is your workout, this is our workout, we're in this together!" She is so cute when she hits failure before everyone else on one of the exercises and says she feels like she should get back down and do more! LOL!

The first mesocycle will likely be more fun for me because I like the faster pace of endurance workouts and love the way Cathe alternates between muscle groups to keep it moving! While that is more my style of training, the workouts in Mesocycle 2 are more motivating to me. With the longer rest breaks, Cathe has more time to talk. This is not a time of idle chatter. She makes the most of every minute and shares helpful information and words of affirmation and encouragement. Cathe is as fun as ever. She bubbles over with joy and enthusiasm and sprinkles the Catheisms we know and love throughout the workouts!

During this second mesocycle, Cathe totally fries one muscle group before hitting the next one. Warm bubble bath with epsom salt here I come!

I love the way Cathe demonstrates a variety of options for exercises such as pull-ups during the rest breaks. I am happy to see that Cedie will be using the tubing with me during the pull-ups! All in all, STS is an exceptionally well produced series. It is easy to see that countless hours of thought, planning, sweat, and tears went into this. Of all the DVDs I have previewed so far, I cannot think of one thing I could suggest to improve them. Did I mention that the music and production quality are stellar?! I never imagined that I would be this excited about workout DVDs (especially a serious weight training rotation with no new cardio workouts in the mix)!

Blessings,
Heather B.

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).

Last edited:
Heather! I luv reading your reviews! I do believe Cathe has turned you into a convert!! After STS I will look for your MORE STS DVDS PLEASE! posts!!! ...:eek:

I had a rest day at home thanks to a stomach bug, so I took a long nap and made the most of the day off work by previewing Mesocycle 2. The first mesocycle (endurance) has relatively fast paced workouts with the fun factor of Supersets. This second mesocycle (hypertrophy) is slower and more serious weight training with rest breaks of a minute or longer between sets. The first mesocycle appears to be good for fat burning. This is the muscle building month of the journey! I am craving protein just watching it! LOL! The music is just as inspiring. I am cleaning and organizing my workout room and toys as I preview! Cathe shares an abundance of form pointers, encouragement, and affirmation. I believe these workouts will require more mental focus than the endurance workouts. Cathe is just as warm and friendly, and I am ready to embrace the challenge when that day arrives! These workouts seem to be more about working to failure at your own pace instead of keeping up with Cathe and crew. Cathe encourages everyone to go at their own pace because "this is your workout, this is our workout, we're in this together!" She is so cute when she hits failure before everyone else on one of the exercises and says she feels like she should get back down and do more! LOL!

The first mesocycle will likely be more fun for me because I like the faster pace of endurance workouts and love the way Cathe alternates between muscle groups to keep it moving! While that is more my style of training, the workouts in Mesocycle 2 are more motivating to me. With the longer rest breaks, Cathe has more time to talk. This is not a time of idle chatter. She makes the most of every minute and shares helpful information and words of affirmation and encouragement. Cathe is as fun as ever. She bubbles over with joy and enthusiasm and sprinkles the Catheisms we know and love throughout the workouts!

During this second mesocycle, Cathe totally fries one muscle group before hitting the next one. Warm bubble bath with epsom salt here I come!

I love the way Cathe demonstrates a variety of options for exercises such as pull-ups during the rest breaks. I am happy to see that Cedie will be using the tubing with me during the pull-ups! All in all, STS is an exceptionally well produced series. It is easy to see that countless hours of thought, planning, sweat, and tears went into this. Of all the DVDs I have previewed so far, I cannot think of one thing I could suggest to improve them. Did I mention that the music and production quality are stellar?! I never imagined that I would be this excited about workout DVDs (especially a serious weight training rotation with no new cardio workouts in the mix)!

Blessings,
Heather B.

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).

A Few More Thoughts

Happy Friday! I finished watching the rest of the back and biceps DVD from Mesocycle 2, and I am back with a few more comments. The form pointers in this series will help me immensely. Cathe is all about safe training. I am 5½ years into my fitness journey, but I am still relatively inexperienced when it comes to weight training. Cathe shows a few ways people cheat with different exercises and reminds us to stop if we get tired and start losing our form that way. I appreciate her gentle reminders to slow down when needed.

Another thing I love about these workouts is the "natural" feel. They do not seem "rehearsed" at all. The interaction between Cathe and the cast members reminds me of being in a live class. The cast members interact with each other too. Cathe hits failure before a few of the girls during one of the exercises and jokes about going over and tickling them! I will feel like I am part of a class or a small group personal training session when I join them!

I will also say that Cathe really knew what she was doing with this series. I am thankful for a few things I thought I would not like. For example, I am glad she does not tell us what weights she is using. When Chris posted the one-rep max chart and Cathe encouraged me to focus on 4-star and 5-star exercises, I decided to give it a whirl. It was simpler than I expected, and I can really see the wisdom of this now. Seeing how everyone chooses different weights and hits failure at different times makes me feel better about listening to my own body and competing with my personal best instead of trying to keep up with someone who is way more advanced than I am. After previewing these workouts, I would recommend them for any fitness level. There is zero intimidation factor because Cathe demonstrations so many different options like using bands during pull-ups as well as beginner friendly push-ups in a decline tabletop position. (That is easier than doing them on my knees and an option I have never seen.)

Is it Sunday yet?!

Traci, please don’t tell Michele that Cathe is converting me to weight training love. She will win if that happens! I was hoping to convert her to cardio love first. LOL!

Cynthia, when are you starting?

Blessings,
Heather B.

Last edited:
Thanks Heather! By the way, are you sure you didn't fabricate that "stomach bug" to stay home and watch those DVD's?

he he
just kidding :eek:

Heather,

I'm starting Monday. Mine are "out for delivery" today so that will give me a few days to get ready. I'm very excited!!!:D

Heather,

Thanks so much for your review. I enjoyed reading it.

Mine are arriving USPS so I am still waiting, probably next week sometime.

Thanks for the review! You're awesome to take the time to watch and tell. I can't wait for your review of meso 3 - I think that's the one I probably need the most, as I LIKE to do more of the meso 1 type workout. Can't wait for you to preview the plyo legs vs. the squat rack exercises. What are you doing tomorrow???? (Kidding...)

Thanks for the review! You're awesome to take the time to watch and tell. I can't wait for your review of meso 3 - I think that's the one I probably need the most, as I LIKE to do more of the meso 1 type workout. Can't wait for you to preview the plyo legs vs. the squat rack exercises. What are you doing tomorrow???? (Kidding...)

ROFLMAO!!!!

Seriously, thanks Heather... I am giddy with excitement.

Mary:D

Great reviews. I find myself hanging on your every word! My package doesn't arrive until Monday and I'm barely hanging on. Thank goodness for your reviews.

My Mesocycle 3 Preview Review

I am glad to help! This is the first preorder I received the next day, and I remember how much I enjoyed preview reviews while I was waiting!

I previewed Mesocycle 3 tonight, and the news is not as good. Everything about these workouts from the veggie green outfits to the slow pace and serious tone says eat, eat, eat your veggies! Cathe is more serious and subdued, the music is more somber, and the pace is slower than molasses with long rest breaks between sets. (Yes, she explains why the rest is essential.) There is quite a bit of down time and silence. Cathe does not talk as much and is not as bubbly and enthusiastic. The good news is that these workouts are still more appealing to me than the Gym Style upper body workouts! I can do anything twice a week for a month!

I previewed the first plyo legs workout tonight, and it looks like a blast. It has the music, energy, and fun factor I love with a touch of cardio! I love the blue outfits in this workout and Cathe’s playful personality. This will give me something fun to look forward to during my last month of this journey. I still need to preview the optional squat rack leg workouts and ab circuits.

I am confident after previewing the first week of each mesocycle that I made the right choice to go with the 5-month rotation Cathe shared. I can discipline myself to get through the third mesocycle once, but I know myself well enough to know that I would burn out if I attempted 8 weeks of it. The workouts in Mesocycle 1 (endurance) are faster and more fun. The workouts in Mesocycle 3 (strength) are slower and more serious (not counting the fun plyo legs). The workouts in Mesocycle 2 (hypertrophy) are right in the middle! I will enjoy the first and second mesocycles and plyo legs. The upper body workouts in the last month of the journey, not so much! The good news is that Cathe serves dessert and the main course before I have to eat my veggies! LOL! I like the way STS is structured. By the time I get to the strength workouts, I am hoping that my results will inspire me to keep pressing on. I am so glad I previewed the first DVD first to get a good first impression of STS! My favorite Cathe quote from Mesocycle 3: "The end is so near, I can taste it!"

I hope those who are still waiting receive a visit from the UPS guy soon!

Jan, I am with you! Mesocycle 3 is the one I likely need the most and will be the biggest shock to my system because it is so different. What we like the least is often what we need the most! It will be good for me like broccoli! If I could only afford to buy one mesocycle at a time, I would definitely start with the first one!

Blessings,
Heather B.

QUOTE=BelovedHeather
I previewed Mesocycle 3 tonight, and the news is not as good. Everything about these workouts from the veggie green outfits to the slow pace and serious tone says eat, eat, eat your veggies!

Heather!!!! I literally spit my coffee on this one! You CRAZY GIRL! roflmao!:D

Heather, thanks for the reviews. You just motivated me to get off my butt and get going with my 1rms!! :)

Heather, thanks again!!! I think I'll take your recommendation, order mesocycle 1 and get started with everyone else. Your reviews have helped so much.

I was thrilled to read your review of meso #3

Cathe is more serious and subdued, the music is more somber, and the pace is slower than molasses with long rest breaks between sets. (Yes, she explains why the rest is essential.) There is quite a bit of down time and silence. Cathe does not talk as much and is not as bubbly and enthusiastic.

Heather,

Thanks for your review of Mesocycle #3. I'm thrilled with a slower lifting pace and longer breaks between sets. I was planning on doing cardio on my spin bike during the breaks of the upper body workouts. Mesocycle #3 was the only mesocyle that I ordered. Mine are supposed to be delivered on Monday.

Sandi

I was thinking that maybe less talking during the Mesocycle #3 is probably a good thing - when you are working so hard - it might be annoying to have talking non-stop (even if it is our beloved Cathe) when you are trying to recoup and focus. The silence will help up focus and regroup for the next round. Just a thought - can't wait!

Heather,

Thanks for the reviews of all three Mesocycles. I really appreciated what you had to say. I was curious about the muscle animations. Did they decide not to go with those?

LaDonna

Me too Traci! Was that not the greatest use of comical candor or what? Yes, everyone, it is true, Meso 3 is by far not the most exciting mesocycle to preview. But doing it is a whole other can of spinach (that one's for you Heather :D). Afterall, you are working at 80% to 90% of your 1RM all game faced and pulling for it. The exercises are basic yet effective and the rests are long yet expected. This is truly one mesocycle you have to experience to appreciate. Thank you Heather and all others who have started reviewing the workouts. Your honestly is appreciated and of great value to all who read them. Happy Super Bowl Weekend! :)

QUOTE=BelovedHeather
I previewed Mesocycle 3 tonight, and the news is not as good. Everything about these workouts from the veggie green outfits to the slow pace and serious tone says eat, eat, eat your veggies!

Heather!!!! I literally spit my coffee on this one! You CRAZY GIRL! roflmao!:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.