My hair costs a fortune!

But, I don't think I, or any of the others that spend $$ on their hair, are throwing their money away. And the stylists and colorists really need to make a living too. Capitalism makes the world go round! :D

Also meant to add, I do give money to charities: the Humane Society, SPCA, and no-kill animal shelter in town. >^..^<

You don't have to justify how you spend your money to me. I don't view you as any less of a good person! Spending that much in one shot just doesn't fit in my view of the world (neither does a flowbee or watching American Idol ;)). I agree with what Nancy says to a degree...I friends in the business and have been to enough hair shows at the Javits Center to know that a lot of it is for show. You can pay some fast talking Perez Hilton look alike $200.00 for some zippy doo haircut but more than likely you can go to your local salon and get an even better hair cut for $35.00. Some of us po' folks have to try to look good on a budget ;):p

You can pay some fast talking Perez Hilton look alike $200.00 for some zippy doo haircut but more than likely you can go to your local salon and get an even better hair cut for $35.00. Some of us po' folks have to try to look good on a budget ;):p

Beavs, I'm not trying to start anything here, but I don't think you realize that this comment is actually insulting. I'm not shallow enough to go to some "Perez Hilton lookalike" for a "zippy doo" haircut, I go to a professional hair stylist and colorist that have trained seriously to become one of the best in their field. I am not swayed by "fast talking" , I look for people that know what they're doing. I've tried several stylists at my local salon, and they just don't measure up.

I'm not defending myself to you or anyone, because I know I'm a good person. And I have a different world view too; I think that a good number of people that go to the soup kitchens you mentioned have to eat there because of the decisions they made in life. They are not helpless, and have to bear some responsibility for where they ended up in life. That's why I give to the animal shelters; I know those residents are there because of circumstances *entirely* out of their control. I used to be "po' folk" too by the way....but I worked very hard for a lot of years, and now I make more money. :)

Anyway, I intended this thread to be a fun talk, not anything remotely political! So that's all I'm gonna say about that! :D

Last edited:
There was a time in my life when I couldn't afford what I spend on my hair today. I often trimmed my own hair in the mirror, and thankfully didn't need color. I cut my kids hair and still do to this day(they won't go to anyone else:p).
Today, what I spend on my hair is well within my means and all the years of financial struggle are behind me. I don't feel guilty about spending this on myself after years of hard work and sacrifice. We are putting 2 children through college- debt free- without grants or government aid.
I give to charities, but we also pay through the nose in taxes. We give alright!

I normally colour my own hair, and it it cut maybe 4 times a year. I splurged last month and got highlights, lowlights & a cut---it was only $50!!! It was awesome & I LOVE it!!!!!!

I live in Vegas and get my baby fine hair (ugh) done at a salon at the MGM Grand...I will not even post how much they charge...Beavs, can I borrow your FloBee???:)

By the way, I LOVE Kenra products too. I never thought I'd pay $12 for hairspray (now called "finishing spray") but I can't imagine going without. It completely changed my hairstyle and look.

I pay $75 for just a cut which I think is very expensive. But I color my own hair and go only about 3-4 times a year. I love my stylist. He is fantastic and worth every penny. I was leaving the salon one day after my cut and a woman stopped me and said my haircut was fantastic and that I looked "like a modern American Woman". That was worth the price. I constantly get compliments on my hair and it's not because of my styling ability.

Beavs, I'm not trying to start anything here, but I don't think you realize that this comment is actually insulting. I'm not shallow enough to go to some "Perez Hilton lookalike" for a "zippy doo" haircut, I go to a professional hair stylist and colorist that have trained seriously to become one of the best in their field. I am not swayed by "fast talking" , I look for people that know what they're doing. I've tried several stylists at my local salon, and they just don't measure up.

I'm not defending myself to you or anyone, because I know I'm a good person. And I have a different world view too; I think that a good number of people that go to the soup kitchens you mentioned have to eat there because of the decisions they made in life. They are not helpless, and have to bear some responsibility for where they ended up in life. That's why I give to the animal shelters; I know those residents are there because of circumstances *entirely* out of their control. I used to be "po' folk" too by the way....but I worked very hard for a lot of years, and now I make more money. :)

Anyway, I intended this thread to be a fun talk, not anything remotely political! So that's all I'm gonna say about that! :D

I had no intention of being insulting nor were my comments directed at you personally. I am not sure how saying that there are a lot of over priced egotistical stylists out there (not all of course!) who routinely over charge customers was meant to insult you but if it did I am sorry. Frankly, if I was going to see that chick on Bravo I would expect to pay quite a bit of money--she knows her stuff. My point was simple that there a lot of awesome stylists toiling away in little known salons out there, who also work hard for their money, who do a kick ass job of catering to clientele of all stripes, including wannabe stylish corporate librarians and former government girls who also work hard for their money. Given my druthers, I would rather see one of those stylists ;)
So, no insults intended, please know that.

Can you tell me about the Kenra Hairspray. I am looking to hold my style in the humidity of Florida. I am using the Kenra Sulfate Free Shampoo and Mango Conditioner and a mask for sun and beach and pool.

Thank You

Can you tell me about the Kenra Hairspray. I am looking to hold my style in the humidity of Florida. I am using the Kenra Sulfate Free Shampoo and Mango Conditioner and a mask for sun and beach and pool.

Thank You

I have not tried any other product beyond the finishing spray (25 and 26 strength) and the root lifter (also very effective). I live in a low humidity area so I don't know how it would hold up in Florida (nasty humidity - I have no idea how you do it!). It holds the shape of the hair without any stiffness and just, well, works so that the hair lays in the best shape. I can spray and then use my hands to guide the hair to be slightly flatter or wavier, and it holds it. I as on my way to a convention the very next day and needed hairspray, happened to be in a salon, and the owner said that the most popular hairspray was Kenra. I was shocked at the price (now it may be $16 - I know it was more when I bought it last, and well that was in CA so it might be less elsewhere.) I was in a hurry and decided to do it just once. I was hooked from then on. I recommend trying it once. Most likely you'll love it. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.