My eating observation

L Sass

Cathlete
Let me first say I KNOW everyone will not agree with this - this is my own observation - but I had to share. So I had completely convinced myself that I'm carb sensitive and about a year ago switched to a higher protein diet - doing about 40% protein, 35% fat and 25% carbs on a 1500 calorie diet, (read and loved BFFM). Stuck with it for about 10 months and saw some initial results but then nothing. My weight is ok - need to reduce body fat.

So about 6 weeks ago I started working out with this personal trainer who is also a registered dietician. She reviewed by food journal (I track on fitday.com) and said point blank that if I continued on that high of a protein percentage with those calories I'm on my way to irreversible kidney damage. She wanted me to up my carbs and reduce my fat and protein. ("ugh - I'm going to go backwards now!")

She's also a vegan and I began researching the issues of following a plant based diet. I admit my motivation for the research was more health based than ethically based. But slowly I've found myself switching over to that way of eating. And here's my observation - IT FEELS FANTASTIC! I genuinely think I feel so much better and "lighter" since I've begun taking animal products out. Moreover, despite kicking and screaming the whole way on the carbs thing - I find that I can put a lot more energy into my workouts - and I'm getting better results - even with less protein. I know this observation is not applicable to everyone and we all have to find what suits us individually, but for anyone who is considering a plant based approach (and thank you vegans for sharing your insights) I think you've gotta' try it.

Lorrie

I have to agree with what you're saying (and no, I'm not a vegie!!)...I've really cut back on animal products, and have been dairy free for about 6 months now...We rarely eat red meat (maybe once a month), chicken about 2x's a week, no pork, no shellfish, and scaled fish about once a week...My family hasn't gotten sick, allergies were cut WAY down this fall, and we feel FANTASTIC!!!

MJ

Thanks for sharing, Lorrie! I'm glad you've found something that's working for you.

Good for you Lorrie!! I've been a vegan for a little over 15 months and I haven't felt better. I've had tons of energy and have lost about 10 pounds or so in the last year. I think it's one of the best things you can do for your body!!

Carolyn

Welcome to the dark side...or should I say "the light side", LOL!

I've never seen the logic in the whole high protein thing (except as a way for the meat and dairy industry to maintain their profits at a time when meat consumption was going down). It goes against all the information I've read on health and avoiding chronic disease. And against the way the healthiest populations on Earth eat.

I totally agree with that last statement!!! My thought on milk drinkers is that we're the only mammals on the face of the earth that drink the milk of another mammal...The only thing cows milk is supposed to do is turn a 300 lb calf into a full grown cow!!

MJ

Hey Lorrie could you tell us what you eat in a typical day now?? I also did the low carb thing and got down to my lowest weight ever.....but these days I am not about the "lowest"....although I am really struggling to lose 5 or 6 pounds to get back to my "feel" good weight...I want to eat healthier in general....But after being so protein heavy for so long I still find myself craving it.....chicken beasts, eggs......even red meat. How did you make the switch??
Donna

Hey MJ - you're right. There's a book called "Body by God" where the author is opposed to dairy consumption as well. He queries: don't you wonder who it was who stuck his head under a cow and thought "Gee those look interesting. I'm going to suck on them and if it tastes good I'm going to put it in my coffee." I always found that quite telling.

Lorrie

Sure Donna though keep in mind I'm still learning.

B - steel cut oats (love them!) with Shaklee protein powder and topped with fat free soy milk

S - half a grapefruit (THAT was like rediscovering a long lost friend), apple slices with almond butter

L - huge mixed greens salad topped with garbanzo and black beans, diced apple pieces, a few toasted almonds, and fat free dressing

S - fruit smoothie: 1 slice low fat tofu (never used tofu before in my life), 1/2 cup frozen raspberries and blackberries, 1/4 cup old fashioned quaker oats, a little almond butter. This is amazing!

D - Sautee some garbanzo and black beans (or whatever kind) in a splash of olive oil, add some salsa and a slice of soy cheese. Spread some hummis over a low fat low carb tortilla, and fill with the bean and salsa mixture. An unbelievable dinner that even my DH liked!

(Note: I'm lucky - I don't have gastrointestinal issues with beans and I like them.) Also sweet potatoes with soy margarine and a squeeze of lime juice is nice at dinner. As I said I have a lot of experimenting to do yet with tofu, but so far so good. And wow - I forgot how good fruit tasted. Who needs sugar when there's apples and peanut or almond butter? Hope that gives you some insight.

Lorrie

>D - Sautee some garbanzo and black beans (or whatever kind) in
>a splash of olive oil, add some salsa and a slice of soy
>cheese. Spread some hummis over a low fat low carb tortilla,
>and fill with the bean and salsa mixture. An unbelievable
>dinner that even my DH liked!

That sounds really good! I've got some sprouted grain tortillas in my freezer that I just might have to thaw out! I'll maybe use black soy beans with this recipe. And add some shredded romain.

>(Note: I'm lucky - I don't have gastrointestinal issues with
>beans and I like them.)
I've found that I do much better, "gastrointestinally speaking," if I avoid soy protein isolate and concentrates (which I am a bit wary of, based on some research that suggests soy protein may increase risks of breast cancer-- but soy FOODS have been eaten for centuries iin countries that have very low incidences of breast cancer, so I don't avoid them...I particularly like tempeh, and make a mean "mock 'chicken-or-the-egg' salad" with steamed, mashed tempeh and chicken/egg salad seasonings). I like pea/rice protein powders (like vegan complete) instead...and so does my GS tract!

I forgot how good fruit tasted. Who
>needs sugar when there's apples and peanut or almond butter?

Humans (at least moi!) definitely have a craving for sweets, and fruits are SO much healthier for that than candy. They're like Mother Nature's little candies! I have a fruit-filled breakfast skmoothie every morning, and it's like a treat (but full of good stuff: protein, vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, antioxidants). I LOVE stuff that is really healthy AND really tasty!

My thought on milk drinkers is that we're the only mammals on the face of the earth that drink the milk of another mammal...The only
>thing cows milk is supposed to do is turn a 300 lb calf into a
>full grown cow!!

How true! And it seems like it's only when you haven't had milk for a while that the true grossness of it is apparent. Like the fact that the US allows a higher amount of pus (!) in it's milk supply than other countries! And that many US cows have pus in their milk because modern milking methods contribute to mastitis. And the dairy industry has done a great job of convincing the US public that milk is not only good for you, but NECESSARY, a claim that those who regulate advertising in the US did not find to be valid. And the ads with someone like Aretha Franklin promoting milk consumption: "thank you, mom, for giving me milk.....even though the majority of African Americans lack the enzymes necessary to digest it after weaning, and it gave me gas and a bloated stomach..." (well, she did say the FIRST part of this, LOL!).

Milk: the perfect food....for baby calves!

Here's something for you to try, if you're brave enough! My favorite new sandwich is two slices of French Meadow Bakery healthy hemp sprouted bread (I soften it in the microwave for about 13-15 seconds, because it's VERY substantial, not at all like the soft and gooshy "whole grain" breads in the grocery store), with 1/2 an avocado mashed on it. That's it! You could add some sprouts or lettuce, but I like it just like that. Quick, simple, tasty and healthy.

Where does the bravery part come in Kathryn? Is it because the bread is so substantial?

Lorrie

>Where does the bravery part come in Kathryn? Is it because
>the bread is so substantial?
>
>Lorrie

Yes! Some people might find the fact that it's so dense that it needs softening (microwaving or steaming maybe?) a bit off-putting. And the fact that it doesn't at all taste like white bread, or anything close to it, and it's an aquired taste, perhaps. I just find that many people I know would find it a bit too odd or hard to handle. Their idea of "whole grain" is the stuff in the grocery store (I bought a loaf of that multi grain Something or other Bakery bread, that looked halfway decent...but only ate two slices because it was grossly soft, IMO. FOUR MONTHS LATER, I finally got to throwing it out, took it out of the fridge to put in my compost pile, and there was NOT ONE SPECK OF MOLD on it! Got to wonder what odd chemicals are in it! The bread I get will mold like real bread/real food , should!)

But I should have realized that Catheites would be up to the challenge!!

Lorrie,

You stated everything so beautifully.

I'm glad you found something that is working for you because all of us know how hard you have been working towards your goal. I also find if I take in more carbs I have lots more energy to put into my workouts. After staying away from fruit for months I added two a day and it has helped my energy level tremendously!

Thank you for sharing your observation.

Lorrie congratulations! I've frozen my fingers for years on this forum whenever someone pushes high protein consumption. There's no science behind it.

I'm also a big fan of French Meadows breads. The Hemp that Kathryn likes is best toasted. The Men's Bread & Woman's bread are my dual favorites. They're the backbone of my hiking lunches.

Their Spelt bread is banned from my house (by DH). We did a 4500' hike out of Sierra Madre to Mt. Wilson & I'd prepared soy butter sandwiches on spelt bread. He was spitting mad after biting into a pretty darn dry sandwich! "Svelte" bread!! Of course it's svelte bread - who would eat it?"

Debra

Hey you guys thanks for the bread tips - I'm gonna have to try some of them out. Where can you get them?

Debra I think what I found most disconcerting about my trainer's advice on the protein is that she said there's no way of detecting the impact on the kidneys until the damage is already done. Kind of like insulin resistence syndrome or type II diabetes - you (or your doctor) know it's there when you have it. I know there are all sorts of reports and theories on higher levels of protein, and a lot of it made sense when I read it. So I'm not trying to sway anyone who has success with what they're doing - but my trainer's experience with people who are in kidney failure from high protein use made me think twice.

Thanks ladies!

Lorrie

Good for you Lorrie! After years on a high protein diet I changed to a vegetarian diet too and I love it! Immediately, I felt better, had more energy, my skin cleared up and I lost weight. I've been a vegetarian for two years now and I can easily maintain my weight. I am currently reading a book you might be interested in ... "The China Study" by T. Colin Campbell. It's a great read on all of the healthy reasons you should cut animal products out of your diet.

Where can I get those good soy products and bread you mentioned?
Do you go to regular grocery store or organic food store like Whole Food?
I may have to pay more attention to what store offers when I go food shopping nextime for these items like soy cheese.

Thanks

Christie

Just wanted to chime in and also recommend "The China Study". It's a great book with some real science behind it. I believe it may be the largest and most comprehensive nutritional study ever done.

carolyn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.