My daughter and son

lesliemarie

Cathlete
Got an update on my daughter, the lump on her back disappeared as weird as it came. the doctor said it was some kind of cyst. But the tumors in her leg are still giving her tons of trouble and lots of pain and makes her limit what she can do. But the one tumor is starting to fill in with healthy bone now, just hoping the rest will do the same now that she has hit puberty and is 15, and her growth plates have closed.
My son on the other hand is quite sad for me. Took him to see his psychologist and he got to see what we have been dealing with, My son wanted to run out of his office so the doctor pushed his chair by the door and Brandon (son) picked up some duplo's and tried to hit him with them and he grabed Brandon and held him so he could not get away nor hurt anyone, then Brandon procedded to spit in the doctors face so he had to hold his mouth for a few seconds. Now that he got to see him like this he says Brandon has a mood disorder along with a learning disability. The doctor put him on Trileptal and I am so sad and depressed to medicate my son! I have no one who really understands what it is like to have a child like this. I love my son so much and it hurts me to do this. I would like to start a support group for mothers with kids with ADHD and ODD and other disorders. I know how lonely it can get.
I have started back with working out on my step once a week as not to irritate my knee. and it feels sooooo good!! I love the feeling in my head after a good workout!

Wow, it sounds like you have a lot on your plate. I know that on Yahoo there are lots of support groups and boards laready started. It might be worth investigating to see if there is already a board started so you aren't starting from square one. Take good care of you during this time b/c your children need you to be healthy and happy for them :)

Christine

Just wanted to send you a big cyber <<<HUG>>>. You sure do have a lot going on? Have you checked with your local hospital to see if they could refer you to a support group? I do know that our hospital has one. I will keep your family in my prayers. Please take care of yourself as well.

Leslie,
I second the motion that you check with your local hospital system. Also, ask to speak with the guidance counselor in your local school or contact a school pshychologist in your school district. They ought to be able to help you find a support group so that you can meet other parents who share some of the same issues you are dealing with.
Angela
P.S. How old is your son? Does he attend school in a regular class or is he receiving special education services? If you don't want to answer these questions I understand. I teach a kindergarten behavior class and often medication coupled with a small, structured classroom with firm and loving behavior management makes a huge difference in a child's behavior. The goal of my class is to get the behaviors turned around while they are young and to get them in the least restrictive environment(hoepfully a regular kindergarten calss) before the end of the school year.

Hi LeslieMarie,

You're not alone. My son is bipolar with mild ADD and it is very hard to come to grips with. How is the medication going? Big hugs and feel free to email me at ddmac317 (at) yahoo (dot) com - I don't check that address everyday but I would be happy to be of some support for you!

DD

I hope everything goes well with your daughter and son. You also have alot to deal with. It is extremely hard for a Mama to put her child on medicine for mood disorders. My Alex has been diagnosed with Bipolar. I have delt with depression myself over having to put him on medicine as well.

Please keep in mind you are helping Brandon. The mood shifts that our children experience is VERY scary to them. They know they are different yet they cannot hold it together and they do try so hard. The medicine takes the edge off of the moods and in essence gives them a life worth living.

See if there is a local NAMI chapter in your area or CABF chapter. You get a ton of info that will help you in dealing with these types of illnesses. REMEMBER it is a medical condition.

Please take care of yourself. Try to do something that makes you feel good. Exercise has been my lifeline as well as my christiananity.

Take care and God bless you.

Kim

Brandon is only 5 which made it so hard to make that decision to medicate him, he is in a transitional kindergarten (special education) I was going to ask his therapist on his next visit about a support group. He has only been on trileptin for only one day ( two doses ) but I can kind of see a differance, he got mad today a few times but it didn't seem to go into a full blowout. last night though broke my heart and I broke down crying. He ran down the street to run away. But today he finally has a friend that wants to play with him. My biggest worry is will he be able to lead a normal life and eventually take care of himself as an adult? I have to much I worry about with with this little guy. He has been so sweet today. He was eating a tootsie roll and a crown fell off so I told him Candy is BAD and no more and he agreed with me and threw it away LOL.
Now if I can get my self back together! I feel like I have let myself go since my knee surgery and can't seem to get going again. I do SJ&P once a week and ride my bike daily. I need to do legs and glutes to strengthen my hams and quads.

Hi Leslie,
The fact that you are figuring out what is going on with Brandon at such an early age is awesome! You will be amazed at the progress that can be seen in the kindergarten year, especially since you are working with a doctor and a teacher in a transitional kindergarten class. That combo and the cooperation between home and school are huge factors in Brandon's success so give yourself a pat on the back girl! Give the meds and the transitional class time to work and hang in there on you road to recovery!
Angela:7

As a teacher, I just want to say that I have had several students who were once very much as you describe Brandon--out of control, violent. Some of these kids have even attacked other students, their parents, and their teachers--often with dangerous "weapons." Most were not diagnosed and treated as young as your son, so I'm glad to hear you're helping him at an early age.

With medication and counseling, however, and good home support, many of these kids, by the time they reached my class, fifth grade, have been some of my best and most loved students. Because so many things are difficult for them, they try soooo hard and they want so much to please. And they can become very wise at a very young age. I wish you the best with your little Brandon.

Shari

He will have a better chance at a normal life with the medicine. It makes a huge difference in their lives and your familylife as well. This illness has made Alex more mature about his "trials" as we call them. He lets me know if the medicine is helping. We also work at Alex calming himself down or meditating to control his moods and it does help alot. It works in conjunction with his medicine. He takes depakote and seroquel. I have also made fitness part of his life. He loves to run, so I try to run with him. He is taking swimming classes as well as karate (of course I am taking that with him, LOL)

He realizes that he feels better after "working out" He is only seven and was only diagnosed correctly right after he turned six.

Although Alex has not diagnosed been with anything else, it is a daily struggle. I have to throw out what I know about parenting and try the suggestions in the books I have read. It does help. I just take it one day at a time and don't think to much about what he will accomplish in his future.

Alot of gifted bipolar people are starting to come forward with what they themselves have gone thru. Some examples: Linda Hamilton, Jane Pauly, Charlie Pride. It has also been suggested from reading Aberham Lincoln's diary that he was likely also bipolar. There is nothing these children cannot do with the type of family support, medicine and psychiatric help.

A couple of books may help you, They certainly did me:

1)The Bipolar Child by Demitri Papolos, M.D. and Janice Papolos
2)The Ups & Downs of Raising A Bipolar Child by Judity Lederman and Candida Fink M.D.

Take Care,
Kim
([email protected])

This new book out is great! We're using it at our house for my daughters son and it's really making a difference.

I thought of this book when I read your email because they for sure speak of ODD and ADD in this book.

Please don't be put off by the title of it, it is a dietary program but an excellent one.

Go to www.radiantrecovery.com and order the newst book out Little Sugar Addicts. They have a couple of e-mail list you can join too one for Parents and a Bookstudy list. You'll be amazed at the people using this approach.

It may not be for you child but thought I'd let you know about it.

Love
Edith

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.