My cat got hit by a car

naughtoj

Cathlete
He always stayed close to home. We started taking care of him 2 years ago when he wandered into our yard. We would let him in sometimes in the day, sometimes at night, but we would have to close my other cat in another room because we tried many times to integrate them but it never worked.

He has such a wonderful personality and when we would reluctantly put him out at night, in the winter, he would sleep in his chair. He was fixed so he didn't wander much. Come springtime, he would dissapear for a few hours on end. He never really wanted to be outside all that much. Sometimes he would, but he's come right back to the back door and stare in. We just loved him so much, all he ever wanted was love and to live inside.

Well, the other night we let him out and he came right back up to the door. I told my husband, "awww, he wants in, let's bring him in". But he had already been in all day so my hubby said, "He is fine, He'll be OK". But he wasn't. He wasn't standing there the next morning. A day passed, we put up signs. And soon.....we got the call from a neighbor saying she saw him dead on the side of the road one residential street over. She saw him and when she came back later his body was gone...picked up by someone I suppose. Of all the cats that have been in my life through the years, he is the last one I thought would die this way. I am just so so so so sad.

Just goes to show you that it isn't just stray cats that get hit. Even a cat that rarely ever leaves the yard can get hit on a seemingly quiet residential street. We are just absolutely heartbroken. My husband feels so guilty for saying he would be OK that night. I am comforting him. I just can't stand this kind of pain. That uneasy feeling...where you can't do anything else but think about your pet....that numbness.....the feeling of a broken heart I suppose. I just want to curl into the fetal position and cry for 2 weeks strait. One thing I do know is I never, never, never take care of a stray outside cat again. If I can't bring them in, I just can't do it. It is too hard when I lose them. Maybe a kitten one day, if my cat will allow it, but never again and outside cat.

And to top it off, my grandmother died last Wednesday, the funeral a day before my cat went missing. It seems God can be so cruel sometimes. The last year has really got me wondering what life is really for. It is full of so many losses, I often wonder if the good things outweigh all the hurt.:-( ;( :-( ;(

Janice, how difficult all of this must be for you. Having just gone through a scare with my cat last week I feel for you. And the loss of your grandma. How awful. Hang in there. I know it doesn't feel like it right now, but in time, everything will get better. But until then {{{{{{{HUGS for you and your DH}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}.

Lea

Janice, I am so sorry for your losses. You sure have had a very rough year. I hope life starts taking it easy on you very soon.
Lisa

Oh no! I'm so sorry for both of your losses. :-(

I know you must be really hurt, and when we're going through that it is easier to blame things on God and we also start questioning the meaning of life. There are things us humans will probably never understand. What I do know is that sooner or later is going to happen to all of us so we have to live our life to the fullest and cherish those around us too. We get only one shot to make it. While some chapters of our life end there are always new ones awaiting. This probably won't make any sense right now, but I've been in your shoes (I used to talk to my grandmother in my dreams all the time after she died and my yellow lab puppy died right in front of me a couple of years ago) and it's not easy to go through that, but this too shall pass. Take care. ***Hugs***

Hi Janice,

I am actually the moderator of the Fit Moms Forum here on the Cathe site and was checking in and saw your post. I just wanted to send you a hug from Georgia. I know how you feel. I have lost one to many animals and know exactly how that pit in your stomach and hole in your heart feels after a loss like that.

Take care of yourself. I am also sorry to hear about your grandma.

Hang in there. Life has got to get better for you!

Hugs,

Sheila

Sheila Watkins
Founder and National Program Director
Healthy Moms(R) Fitness

Janice,

I'm so sorry! Yesterday was the 3 year anniversary of the death of my cat, Seymour. He was almost 2 years old when he was killed by a car right in front of my driveway. We live in a small neighborhood with one entrance and we never thought it would happen to him. He only went outside two hours a day and rarely left our backyard. His littermate and my other cat NEVER go outside anymore. I just can't risk it.

I too felt the guilt like your husband. My husband asked me to go outside and find him around 6:00 that night and I told him no, my hair was wet and I was cold so I wanted to blow-dry my hair. At 6:30 we got the knock at our door that Seymour had been hit and killed. All I had to do was call for him at 6:00 and he would have never been hit.

I too felt the numbness, the sadness...all the emotions you go through when you lose someone close to you. I can't imagine how you must feel with the compound greif of your grandmother and your dear furry friend.

I just hope a few people who have cats that go outside read this and keep thier furbabies inside. Maybe sharing your story will help save another precious kitty's life.

One thing that helped me was we adopted a pair of kittens (in addition to the two we already had) several weeks later. I was still greiving but I know that Seymour would have wanted us to save more shelter kitties...they really have helped me focus on new life and they are such a joy (NOT a replacement!) I also do a food drive every April for the shelter where we adopted Seymour from...in his honor.

Big hugs to you in this difficult time. My thoughts are with you and your husband.

Hi Janice

So very sorry for your painful losses.

At times like these it is very difficult to look at things from a different perspective. Your grandmother probably had a very eventful life and likely lived to a ripe age. If that's the case, she had a lot to be thankful for. Don't we all wish for the same? And as for your cat, he probably got more love and attention from you and your DH then he got anywhere else. Be proud of yourselves for giving that to him. You shouldn't feel bad about giving love to someone or something just because it hurts so much when they are gone. It is what makes you a loving human being. I'm very proud of you for that and thank you for it too!

Every time something bad happens in my life, my mother always says "everything happens for a reason." Even though I may not know what that is, I do feel a little better knowing that that saying almost always rings true in my life. It may take several years to see how that saying works itself out, but stangely enough it almost always does.

I hope this somehow eases the pain for you and {{{{hugs}}}}} to you and DH.

Angie

Janice,

So sorry to hear of your loss, both of your cat and grandmother. Know that others here have experienced similar losses and send you our heartfelt sympathy to help you through it.

Jean

Janice -

{{{{HUGS}}}} I just lost my dog who I was very very close to to last week to a woman driving too fast in our neighborhood while on her cell phone. It IS hard. Our pets are our families, and their loss hurts. Fortunately for us, the memory remains, but the pain lessens a little. I'm sorry you have a double loss this week with your Grandmother as well. How tough for you. Life can definately seem pointless at times, but if you fight through the bad times, the good times will come. Remember, you cannot walk under a rainbow and not encounter rain. {{{HUGS AGAIN}}}

Janice...I am so sorry about your losses. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I recently had a cat go missing and I know the feeling. I just don't know what happened to mine. Life can be so painful sometimes. I don't think it is God being cruel. I believe he knows our strengths....sending (((((HUGS)))) your way...

So sorry to hear about your cat and your grandmother. Life sometimes throws us a lot of road blocks, doesn't it? It seems like a test as to how much we can take!

I know how you feel, I had several outside cats disappear over the past years and I won't have any more cats for exactly that reason. It's a horrible feeling to lose a special someone or a furry friend. I know there are no words that can ease your pain. Just know that you are in our thoughts.

Sending lots of hugs! Please take care of yourself!!

Carola

janice,

i am so sorry for your losses. sending big hugs. you gave a stray cat a very good life, and what happened isnt your fault.

it is so hard to lose a pet. i know.

suri

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.