MORE DOG HELP!!?!?!

sorry for the screaming. I'm crying right now.

So I took Evee to a vet and demanded an X-ray. Before the X-ray they did confirm she had pain in her leg. But the X-ray showed that she's pretty screwed in her left hip. She doesn't have dysplasia but she started having arthritis and she needs to have some surgery -- not sure if its a left hip displacement or an FHO but she needs something. Ugh, I hated even looking at the X-rays because I felt like it didn't have to get this bad if I had seen it before.

What I wanted to know if there are some homeopathic or dietary things I can give Evee to help her with the arthritis...she already gets glucosamine supplements (actually, i'm probably going to get a her a new one called Joint Max and switch her from in clover) but anything else? She has a warming blanket as well to give her heat where it hurts and I've been massaging her to help. She is just in so much pain and it hurts me to watch her like this so any help and guidance and thoughts would really help me out here.

(and if anyone knows a socal orthopedic pet surgeon let me know too!)

TIA...

I am so sorry about Evee! :(

My only suggestion is to start giving Fish Oil as a supplement if it is not in the Joint Max. I give both of my dogs glucosamin/chondroitin, Vitamin E, and Fish Oil. I started the Vitamin E to help with Maggie's skin condition but I think my vet said it can help joints too.

The heat is a good thing and if you don't have one I would say get a special orthopedic bed that will help give more support to her joints.

I wish you luck on getting Evee back into a more comfortable state. Just knowing you love her as much as you do will help her!

Honestly, if they are recommending surgery, then the joint is bad enough that no amount of supplements are going to be enough to relieve the pain. I'd try to get her on some better pain relief - arthritis meds plus tramadol, for example - until you can find her a surgeon. Yes, surgery sucks, but these poor dogs feel so much better after the FHO if they have that much joint pathology.

Heidi

I'm so very sorry to hear about your doggie problems. It is a horrible feeling to watch your babies suffer.:(

I can't offer any advice about the hip problems, but I thought I might mention that I bought my dog a dogpedic bed off ebay a few weeks ago. My dog is not old, nor does she have joint problems, but she does seem to enjoy the bed. Maybe it might help with the pain???

Best of luck to you and Evee and hope you find some relief soon.

My dog had a problem with his leg and would limp terribly, I started giving him 1 aspirin a day along with glucosamine/ chondroitin and it has totally alleviated his pain. I was told to cut the aspirin in half but forget why this was necessary. Hopefully it will help.

I'm so very sorry to hear about your doggie problems. It is a horrible feeling to watch your babies suffer.:(

I can't offer any advice about the hip problems, but I thought I might mention that I bought my dog a dogpedic bed off ebay a few weeks ago. My dog is not old, nor does she have joint problems, but she does seem to enjoy the bed. Maybe it might help with the pain???

Best of luck to you and Evee and hope you find some relief soon.

Thanks for the advice! I got some fish oil as well -- honestly, it seems that the test the vet did made her worse but she's such a trooper and doesn't want to make a fuss. She even held everything in all yesterday until we carried her outside to let her relieve herself today. She's trying to walk on three legs and its killing me. But massages, heat, good food, and hugs is all I can give until we see the orthopedic surgeon I guess...

You should look into colloidal silver and ginger for arthritis.

My Dad said to be careful, that what works in humans could really harm a dog, so maybe the silver won't work. Check with a good vet.

Last edited:
I would be careful with the aspirin (dogs can be sensitive to it, so that's why 1/2 dosage was recommended) and the silver.

Feeding anti-inflamatory foods can help (foods rich in omega-3s, like fish or flax or chia, for example).

For human beings, avoiding foods from the nightshade family (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, peppers, tobacco) can reduce arthritis symptoms for some people (it's a long shot, but might apply if Evee gets table scraps or human-food snacks, or has a dog food that has any of those ingredients in).

DMSO has been used topically with success to treat lame horses, but you have to be careful that it's not mixed with anything that might be toxic, as it is a powerful solvent that can transport chemicals across cellular barriers. A derivative called MSM is often used in products containing glucosamine and/or chondroitin and/or hyaluronic acid.

Last edited:
Thanks Kathryn -- I'm surprised about the DMSO (I use it in my lab as an organic solvent), I'll look that up. MSM is in the the supplement I'm getting her so I'll see if that helps. The rimadyl, which is a modified form of ibuprofen safe for dogs, is working but I haven't gotten a blood test yet to make sure it isn't screwing with her liver. ::crosses fingers:: I'll look into the ginger as well -- I'm hesitant the heavy metal would work as well in dogs but I'll look it up.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.