Modifying 1RM tests?

SET

I have a question about modifying the 1RM tests -- I have weak shoulders (rotator cuff surgery last April, and continued pain due to inflammation). I saw my orthopedic surgeon yesterday, and I told him of my plan to do all of the 1RM tests for STS. He told me that doing this would put my shoulders at "unnecessary risk."

My doctor did say that training at 60 percent of my 1RM was ok, and he recommended lifting no more weight than I could lift for three sets of 10 reps with good form. I'd like to use this to test my 1RM, but the calculator maxes out at 20 reps. Is there a formula to convert the max reps at 30 reps to the max at 20? (I assume I can figure this out myself by playing around with the numbers, but thought it would be easier, and more accurate, to ask.) Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Set, you have to do what your doctor recommends, but someone else on this forum advised that 1RM of 20 may not give the best results. If you enter the weight at which you can lift 3 sets of 10 with good form, that should give you the info you need to figure out your 1RM, and then follow what your doctor recommended to you.

I have a question about modifying the 1RM tests -- I have weak shoulders (rotator cuff surgery last April, and continued pain due to inflammation). I saw my orthopedic surgeon yesterday, and I told him of my plan to do all of the 1RM tests for STS. He told me that doing this would put my shoulders at "unnecessary risk."

My doctor did say that training at 60 percent of my 1RM was ok, and he recommended lifting no more weight than I could lift for three sets of 10 reps with good form. I'd like to use this to test my 1RM, but the calculator maxes out at 20 reps. Is there a formula to convert the max reps at 30 reps to the max at 20? (I assume I can figure this out myself by playing around with the numbers, but thought it would be easier, and more accurate, to ask.) Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly. If your doctor is telling you it is okay for you to use a weight that you can do 10 times then you should be able to do a 1RM test. With a 1RM test you want failure to be as close to 10 reps as is possible. My guess is your doctor thinks your going to try to lift the maximum weight you can for 1 rep and did not understand you or how the 1RM test is done. I would ask your doctor for clarification on this.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly. If your doctor is telling you it is okay for you to use a weight that you can do 10 times then you should be able to do a 1RM test. With a 1RM test you want failure to be as close to 10 reps as is possible. My guess is your doctor thinks your going to try to lift the maximum weight you can for 1 rep and did not understand you or how the 1RM test is done. I would ask your doctor for clarification on this.

Thanks for the response... To clarify, my doctor told me it was okay to use a weight that I can lift for three sets of 10with good form (which he said was 60 percent of my 1RM). I understood from this that I should figure out the weight that I can lift for 30 reps with good form. Perhaps I misunderstood, though. Is 10 reps at the maximum weight 60 percent of my 1RM? If so, great! I should be able to do my 1RM tests without a problem.

If not, and I need to go to failure at 30 reps instead, my question is how to put these results into the 1RM calculator (other than by using trial and error). The calculator only goes up to 20 reps.

Thanks in advance for your response!

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.