Mg and hypertonic muscle

lcsavik

Cathlete
I've been battling lower back pain like crazy for several months now. My chiro says I have severe compression and #2 & 4 lumbars are twisted in opposition of each other. I quit seeing that Dr. because I felt worse after several visits. My feet and hands started to burn and tingle w/ his adjustments. Plus I spent most of my time lying down w/ ice trying to recover and transitions between sitting and stand were excruciating. My mom recommended a chiro in a town 72mi away. I finally broke down and went in Feb.
This dr. had me buy a book called "What's Really Wrong With You" and some magnesium powder to drink and mg to rub on my lower back and hamstrings. He didn't crack or twist me. He just lightly rubbed rocky muscles that I thought were bones, showed me in the mirror at how off centered my stance was, that I couldn't stand on one leg, and that my "butterfly" bone was out of alignment.
I kinda thought he was out there but two weeks later I noticed that I hadn't had burning in my extremities since he worked on me. So I went back for more work.
Been feeling good and using the LIS to keep working out w/o too much stress. Well I blew it today. Did AT and gardening with lots of bending over today. I laid in bed tonight in agony w/ a few tears trying to go to sleep bc hubby has surgery in the morning. I finally tried the mg drink and rub. Wow! I can't believe the difference! I feel it relaxing my spasms! I'm falling asleep but I had to share this discovery of magnesium and muscles! I don't understand it but wanted to share with my fellow Catheletes.
Good night!

Where did you get the mg rub? I take magnesium tablets daily, but I've never heard of a rub - I wonder if it would help with my fibromyalgia? I'm so glad for you that you've found something that helps! Chronic pain is so debilitating.

I'm interested in the mg rub as well. Very interesting that you notice that much of a difference. Glad it helps though. Low back pain stinks!

Thanks for the info - can you get it at a regular drug store? Thanks again! I'm always willing to try something new to see if it helps the fibro.

Saw a Dr. Oz show recently and he mentioned how Epsom Salts relaxes muscles and aids with sleep. (I remember it being popular from the "olden days" for soaking in the bathtub)

Here is what turned up with a Google Search:

Epsom Salt | Magnesium Sulfate

Epsom Salt - Epsoak®

Epsom Salt is a pure mineral compound (magnesium sulfate) in crystal form. There are several different grades of Epsom salt, produced to purity standards according to the purpose for which it is intended.
Epsoak® Epsom Salts are premium quality.

Epsom Salt's benefits are proven.
Numerous studies have demonstrated the profound and wide-ranging benefits of Epsom Salt. Even celebrities, from model Stephanie Seymour to domestic guru Martha Stewart, have extolled its virtues. Soaking in an Epsom Salt bath is one of the most effective means of making the magnesium your body needs readily available. Continue below for more information on the benefits of Epsoak®.

Epsom Salt - Epsoak®
Premium Quality Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulfate).

Click to view technical data sheet

Benefits: Soothes muscle pain, cleanses pores and detoxifies the skin (see immediately below for more info).

The 2 key ingredients of Epsom salts are Magnesium and Sulfur.

Magnesium:

Ease stress and improves sleep and concentration
Help muscles and nerves function properly
Regulate activity of 325+ enzymes
Help prevent artery hardening and blood clots
Make insulin more effective
Reduce inflammation to relieve pain and muscle cramps
Improve oxygen use
Sulfates:

Flush toxins
Improve absorption of nutrients
Help form joint proteins, brain tissue and mucin proteins
Help prevent or ease migraine headaches
Size: Various Options (see right) - Ships in a resealable bulk bag
Grain Sizes: Medium
Color: Natural white
Scent: None

Usage Suggestions:

For a relaxing soak - Add two cups of Epsoak® to a hot bath in a standard-sized bathtub; soak for at least 12 minutes.

Relieving tired feet - Soak aching feet in warm water to which a handful of Epsoak® has been added. Rinse in cool water

Relieving fatigue ? Add four cups of Epsoak® into a warm bath in a standard sized bathtub; soak for at least 15 minutes.

Removing dry skin - After bathing and while still wet give yourself a massage with dry salt. It removes dead skin particles and aids the circulation.

Make your own salt scrub - For a stimulating facial, mix equal parts of salt and olive oil and gently massage the face and throat with long upward and inward strokes. Remove mixture after five minutes and wash face

Body Wrap - Include Epsoak® salts as a layering product in a body wrap.
Facial - Mix 1/2 TSP of Epsoak® into cleansing cream for a deep-pore cleansing. Massage on skin. Rinse with cool water. Pat dry.

Conditioner - Mixed with your favorite deep conditioner, Epsoak® helps to add body to hair

Food Grade?: No

Ingredients: Magnesium Sulfate

Shelf Life: 10 years

Where did you get the mg rub? I take magnesium tablets daily, but I've never heard of a rub - I wonder if it would help with my fibromyalgia? I'm so glad for you that you've found something that helps! Chronic pain is so debilitating.

Jane --- I googled because I, too, am interested. Amazon.com has it, but apparently, you can find it at a regular pharmacy. It seems that CVS might make a "store brand." This weekend, I'll check and see if my local CVS has it.

Thank you so much for this post. I have had hypertonic ab muscles for several years that have really derailed my life. The options I have been presented are botox to the nerve, and to have the nerve cut by a surgeon. Well, with those options I have chosen to live with it as best as I can. After reading your post I found the book The Magnesium Miracle: Carolyn Dean: 9780345494580: Amazon.com: Books I have increased my magnesium dramatically and you would not believe the difference, not just in my hypertonic muscles, but in several other medical concerns. I am so excited for the changes and grateful that you posted this here.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.