Meso 3 for Mounaineering/climbing

Amysue

Cathlete
Dear Cathe,
I did STS and loved it. I became much stronger and fitter. It will remain in rotation for years to come...a lifetime!

Now, I am trying to decide what I should do for the 5 weeks before my vacation in the mountains. We try to do traditional alpine style climbing which includes approaches with a pack, some technical climbing and scrambling, crossing glaciers, etc. We are going to the Tetons and Idaho where anything you do is strenous. I was wondering if Meso 3 along with longer steady state cardio days would benefit me the most? I plan to do Plyo Legs for sure...I know that will help with strenuous up and down hiking.

Thanks for any advice you can give me. As always, you continue to be an inspiration and a role model for me.
Amy

Hi Amy!

I'd do two weeks of meso #3 with Plyo Legs for your leg workout and steady cardio for 2 workouts and an Imax for your 3rd cardio. Or may I suggest one of your steady cardio activities be converted to walking hills or on an incline on a treadmill with a weighted vest on.

So its:

Meso 3

Mon: back/chest

Tues: steady cardio (or hills/treadmill with weighted vest on)

Wed: Plyo Legs

Thurs: shoulders/bi/tr

Fri: steady cardio

Sat: Imax 2

Sun: off

Then two weeks of Meso three with the squat rack routine for your leg workout and two imaxes that week.

So its:

Meso Three

Mon: Back Chest

Tues: Imax 3

Wed: Squat Rack Legs

Thurs: Shoulder/bi/tr

Fri: Steady cardio (something different than the last two weeks)

Sat: Imax original

Sun: Off

Recover one week before your trip or do the following light activities (abs, stretching, push ups and light walking on flat roads with the max vest on) and watch yourself power up and around those mountains on your trip!

Have Fun!

Fri:
Dear Cathe,
I did STS and loved it. I became much stronger and fitter. It will remain in rotation for years to come...a lifetime!

Now, I am trying to decide what I should do for the 5 weeks before my vacation in the mountains. We try to do traditional alpine style climbing which includes approaches with a pack, some technical climbing and scrambling, crossing glaciers, etc. We are going to the Tetons and Idaho where anything you do is strenous. I was wondering if Meso 3 along with longer steady state cardio days would benefit me the most? I plan to do Plyo Legs for sure...I know that will help with strenuous up and down hiking.

Thanks for any advice you can give me. As always, you continue to be an inspiration and a role model for me.
Amy

Amy:

I have done a fair amount of this type of climbing and backpacking. Actually, I would have suggested meso 2 or the Gym Styles as more suitable training for alpine climbing and hiking. What you need is endurance, endurance, endurance.....steady state cardio, Imaxes and meso 2 type lifting.

Have a fabulous vacation! Love the Tetons, sigh!

Clare

Clare,
Thanks for your thoughts. We have been climbing together (my husband and myself) for almost 20 years. The best thing for climbing is climbing...but living on the East coast with 4 hrs to Seneca and 6 to the Gunks...it's hard. We have had many discussions at the dinner table about how best to train for long days in the mountains. Basically, I try to get in the best shape possible and get as lean as possible. Long cardio days are a must as well as intervals. But, the debate rages between my husband and me as to which is best...endurance training or strength training for muscles while getting ready for a climbing trip? He maintains that strength translates to endurance while endurance does not translate into strength. He seems to think along the lines of the program that Cathe suggests so I am going to follow her plan and see what transpires. We plan to do the CMC Route on Moran and the Elephant's Perch in Idaho as well as some others...maybe the Middle via the North Ridge.

So, now I am going to strap on my 20lb weight vest and try to make it up and down the steep hill outside of my house for 45 minutes! I may be crawling instead of running in the end!
Amy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.