Merck Mandating Vaccine

I agree that the vaccine should not be mandated-it should be a choice- my mother tells the story about my twin sister and I -during her pregnancy with us that the doctor injected her with a series of shots (DES??) that were supposedly to keep her from miscarrying-my fully developed twin (at the time of her birth) went on to have vision problems whereas I did not (I was concieved after my twin was)-my mother stopped with the shots after having only a couple-sure I think doctors put a lot of time and effort and study into their fields but that doesn't mean that they don't rely at times on pharmacuetical companies and the reps and studies the pharm. co. do for information on the drugs the doctor prescribes. It's interesting that different doctors prescribe different "brands"-my daughter's pediatrician prescribes Advair for her asthma- we were referred to another doctor for something else who favors Asmanex and wanted the Advair stopeed- go figure??-deb

"my mother tells the story about my twin sister and I -during her pregnancy with us that the doctor injected her with a series of shots (DES??) that were supposedly to keep her from miscarrying-my fully developed twin (at the time of her birth) went on to have vision problems whereas I did not (I was concieved after my twin was)"

I'm confused - how do you know that you were conceived after your sister was?

Erica

>I'm confused - how do you know that you were conceived after
>your sister was?

That's a new one to me as well!

I understand the concern of parents, but I have to throw my hat in the ring in favor of mandating the vaccine. No offense to you all as parents, I understand that you're genuinely protective of your offspring and do have their best interests at heart... but this is why they make vaccinations mandatory to begin with. Because so many parents would "rather not" put their kids through vaccine A or vaccine B... if the government left it up to us, there would still be rampant problems in the US with polio, small pox, and God knows what else.

Secondly, as many people on this thread have brought up before... it's maybe not the best idea to wait until your daughter is 16 or 17 and then let them make the decision to get it or not. For one, 16 or 17 is pretty late in the sexual exploration game. I am 26, and I don't know a single acquaintance/friend/family member who waited until 16 or 17 to become sexually active. In fact, most everyone agrees that nowadays, 14 seems to be the median age. And that's for actual intercourse, not just "petting", which can also spread HPV. On the other hand, you're assuming that your daughter ends up having the final say on when she becomes sexually active (as at least one person mentioned before). My sister was only 8 when she was raped, and I suffered the same fate when I was 15 (before I'd made the decision to become active) at the hands of a different individual. And now my sister and I are both battling the effects of being HPV-infected. (Expensive, painful, time-consuming, and possibly affecting our abilities to carry a child to term.) It's ridiculously common... something like 85% of people will be infected with it.

When we know it may protect our daughters... why even hesitate? I know if I could have had it, I would have done it. Would you rather say, "well, I did everything I could to protect my daughter", or would you rather have to maybe watch your daughter/sister/cousin/friend die of this preventable disease and say "oh, well, at least I didn't give into the pharmaceutical companies or government politics"?

Again, on my part, no hesitation.

You are very brave to share your past rape. This is a consideration that my dh and I do have.

Also, I read in another post that you're a language translator. Very cool. What languages do you speak and/or read? Did you learn different languages as a child? I'm learning how to speak/read/write Thai and Latin. The Thai is going very slow.

<<this is why they make vaccinations mandatory to begin with>>

Actually, the mandatory vaccines are meant to protect children from diseases that are spread through sneezing, coughing, etc.

<<why even hesitate? I know if I could have had it, I would have done it. Would you rather say, "well, I did everything I could to protect my daughter", or would you rather have to maybe watch your daughter/sister/cousin/friend die of this preventable disease and say "oh, well, at least I didn't give into the pharmaceutical companies or government politics"?>>

Risks and benefits. I have a few years to decide, thankfully.

So much focus is placed on preventing cervical cancer but this vaccine will decrease abnormal paps (and ab pap follow-up & treatment) and will prevent 90% of genital warts. But, that is not the purpose of mandatory vaccines for school entry.

Thank you for your kind words. It's still taking me a lot to get through that period in my life, but I'm surviving. :)

I'm a translator in Arabic, French, and Spanish. I did learn French and Spanish as a child (we lived in South America and Africa), and I studied Latin in high school.

Good luck with Thai! It looks scary! Haha.

I , like the last poster, applaud your bravery for confiding in us. I also did not hesitate to vaccinate my 13 year old daughter and will also do so with my 10 year old in the next couple of years. Like I said in my past post, you and I have been directly affected by HPV, so I guess everything is relative. But your story has made me even more confident in my decision. The awful things that can happen to our daughters is frightening and anything that we, as parents ,can do to prevent more hurt is important. Thank you for your point of view.

Becky

Thank you so much for your support! I debated revealing it, but I figured if it might sway one parent's decision in favor of, at the very least, protecting their child from a preventable disease, it was worth it. At this stage of my HPV infection, they are basically waiting for me to develop cancer... that's kind of a crappy situation to find oneself in, but they don't want to do anything invasive if they don't have to, since I'd like to have kids one day...

Anyway, I really do appreciate the support. I respect everyone's decision about their own children, I'd just like to encourage everyone to maybe look at this particular issue through a broader lens. My sister and I would give up a lot to be spared what we're going through now.

And, Becky, I'm so very glad that your mom is okay. :)

Hi,
Long time lurker...first time poster.
I am 26 years old, married (never promiscuous)and have just undergone a laser procedure to remove abnormal cervical cells with moderate to severe dysplasia. I have had multiple pap smears and also a couple of (rather uncomfortable) colposcopys and cervical biopsies. I have been diligent about getting my annual pap tests, and I was just unlucky enough to contract the form of HPV that causes cervical cancer.
Now, I do not entirely agree with mandating this vaccine, but I strongly urge all of you with young daughters to do your appropriate research and at least consider the vaccine. If this was available a decade ago, it would have saved me a lot of stress and pain.
Now, this laser procedure should have eliminated all abnormal cells and leave me with a healthy, happy cervix, but I certainly wish I could have avoided it all in the first place. Please consider vaccinating your daughters, and for everyone else, be sure to get your annual pap tests done, they may save your life.
Josie

Hi there Erica & Kathryn- sorry- I just got on the threads after some time off- my sister was fully developed when she was born and I was "premature" with hair all over my body and my fingernails wern't developed and there were 2 seperate placentas and they sent mine somewhere to be tested-I think the medical term is called "superfetation (sp)--deb

You ladies have presented some good arguments on both sides of the issue, but I agree with those who are a bit skeptical of the pharmaceutical companies. Too many drugs have been taken off the market AFTER patients suffered serious side effects. (I recall the "DES daughter" issues that someone mentioned, as well as the "thalidamide babies" and others.) This vaccination is for a disease involving the reproductive system of young girls and that scares me a lot. I am against requiring the vaccine for anyone and believe that it should be a matter of choice.

And, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and ask, IF vaccination is mandated in order to avoid the spread of a (mostly) sexually transmitted disease, why only girls? Granted, females suffer the devastating effects of HPV, but if the purpose is to stop the spread of the disease, then it seems to me that it shouldn't be just females who are required to get the vaccine. Just a thought.

MissL

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.