Men in videos?

NY25

Cathlete
Cathe, have you ever considered having men in your "class" in the videos. I think your weight training and kickboxing workouts are great and in particular would appeal to the male population, but some guys (like my dad) might me a little hesitant to purchase videos featuring solely women. Plus, your workouts are surely difficult enough to satisfy most men. If you added guys you could tap in to a whole new market!! (and seeing buff guys in the videos wouldn't hurt for the ladies either ;) ) Just a thought.

Cathe has had men in a few videos. I think my husband is intimidated by Cathe's workouts. He tried "Bootcamp" with me and he gave up after about 4 circuits. I keep telling him to try some of her other workouts and he won't have anything to do with them. I know he's intimidated but won't admit it.

There are a few workouts that Cathe uses two males. (Mike & Steve are their names.) They appear in Bootcamp, Circuit Max and Cardio Kicks. I think that is all. Once my hubby tried a few of them, he was hooked on Cathe and didn't care who was in them. Cathe just gets better & better with each series.
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

There were men in "Circuit Max" and the Kickbox Video from the same series.

And then Jai's husband was in "Boot Camp"

And I think many men are intimidated by Cathe's workouts.

Just my 2 cents but I am not sure if "intimidation" is the emotion guys feel. I think guys like to do workouts that we feel are "manly" for sake of a better term. I initially did not feel comfortable doing step aerobics because you don't see very many guys in the class and a lot of the moves are "dancy" in nature. It would have been quite easy for me to struggle with the workouts and then give up(and tell myself that step workouts were crap!) .It took a while for me to come to the realization that Cathe and her crew are truly advanced athletes and that I really was nowhere near their fitness level when I started. I could probably lift larger weights for 1 rep than the ladies, but pound for pound, they where at least twice as strong as I,their endurance level was through the roof and their cardio capacity put mine to shame. Guys understand and wouldn't expect to compete with Michael Jordan on the basketball court unless they where world class athletes themselves. Cathe's workouts are no joke and should not be taken lightly. That said, anyone and I mean anyone who consistently works out with her will definately improve their fitness level. It would be nice to see some guys in the video but personally looking at fit ladies like Cathe and the bunch keep me far more motivated :7

I have to agree. I don't even attempt to try and get my husband to do anything that looks remotely "dancy" but he has done PUB with me twice. The first time just to appease me, but the second time because it actually worked his muscles the first time. He lifts a lot heavier weights in the gym, but when it comes to endurance, he could use work. He still prefers to do his cardio at the gym on the eliptical and I don't think I'll change his mind there. I'm sure it doesn't matter to him that he is looking at ladies (in fact he would probably prefer it), it is all about the workout being "manly." I want him to do PLB and the gym styles with me, then I figure I'll see if he wants to try some kickboxing, but that is probably as far as I'll ever push it.

BF won't touch my vids with a ten foot pole. Part of it is certainly the dancy nature of (some of) the cardio. The other part is that we don't have heavy enough weights for him to get a real burn on most of these workouts b/c let's face it, he can lift more than I can! (I have up to 20 pound dumbbells). Plus, he enjoys going to the gym and getting out of the house for his workouts.

If he can't get a good burn on PUB, Powerhour, MIS or Slow and Heavy using the weights Cathe uses then he must be in great shape. I can bench press 250 lbs 6 times but I almost cry during the dumbbell flye/dumbbell press portions of the Pyramids.x( I have the strength but have not gotten use to the lactic acid burn. And Powerhour is a real killer for me on almost every exercise. Try to get BF to do that with you and see if he likes that BURN!!

>There are a few workouts that Cathe uses two males. (Mike &
>Steve are their names.) They appear in Bootcamp, Circuit Max
>and Cardio Kicks.

If I'm not mistaken Mike and Steve appear only in Cardio Kicks and Circuit Max right? The two men we saw in Bootcamp are Jay's husband and a young man in his 20s(sorry I don't know the names). That being said in Cardio Kicks I love it when Cathe's doing the drills and she tells them to go right beside her. Amazing the way those guys throw those hooks!

Rose!

Yes! You are right. I wasn't thinking too clearly when I posted. Thanks for the correction. All-in-all, the guys are great in all the workouts! I wish Cathe would bring them back. I assume it is harder to get their schedules to gel with Cathe's when it is time to rehearse and film the workouts. (Fitguy, nice to see you back posting with us.)

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

I wish Cathe involved more men in her vids. My husband weighed 170lbs at 6'2" and was basically a soft, unfit almost 44yr. old when he started working out with Cathe. He simply started to run and do the Pure Strength Series. He does not go to a health club and the only thing he does besides is Ski during the winter. He has since added the Slow and Heavy and Pryamid series to his rotations...and I mean he is big on rotating the three workouts, a month of each along with a run on non-weight days. The husband I live with is not even the same man! He has added 20lbs of muscle, is leaner than ever, has gone from running 6mi. a week to 20mi. a week and is coming up on his 50th. birthday looking better than he did when I married him twenty years ago. He is very commited to these workouts. I agree with the guys here, these workouts are "manly" enough. My DH does wish that Cathe would do another non-dancy BootCamp ispired workout though with guys lifting heavy and the moves big and athletic. Shoot, I too would love a workout like that one!:)

Hi Deb!

Just wanted to wave a quick hello out west to you. Great to see you here!

RE: Hi Deb!

Deb! Thank you. Thank you for your kind thoughts, words and wishes. I really appreciate them. Have had a very sad few months. Trying to come out of it s-l-o-w-l-y. Can tell you that I think I'll be okay and well wishers like you definitely keep my eyes looking up. deb:)

Deb!

I am so sorry! I sent an E-mail off to you and it was returned no such address. Can you either E-mail me or PM me with your new one? Thanks! Miss ya' GF!

Thanks NY25,

I am very proud of him, can you tell?:) I know that my DH is not "special" athletically and I take every opportunity to encourage the men out there to workout with Cathe because her workouts get the job done...AND I hope that Cathe reads this and is encouraged to take men more seriously when creating these workouts.

By the way, do you live in New York? We will be there in a couple of weeks to see a couple of great Broadway shows and to watch my daughter and her choir group perform at Carnegie Hall. We can't wait!

dmd:D

I do live in NY - love it! It's a great city. Congrats on your daughter - that's quite an accomplishment. And I agree with your comments about men and Cathe. I coached my father long-distance using Bill Phillips' Body for Life program and he saw great success with that, so I'm thinking of buying some of the Cathe weight series for him. That's what made me think of men in the videos. Most men aren't going to go to the Cathe site and buy the workouts - too girlie of a thing to do. They'll use their wife's DVDs, but.... Figured it's an untapped market. Have fun when you visit!!

Like most of the woman in life...we bring home the good food choices and the best workouts too!:) I think it's just a matter of time. My brother lives in Seattle and phoned me yesterday to say he has been doing the Gin Miller Intense moves vhs I gave him a couple of years ago. Why? Becuase it has MEN in it doing non-dancey, athletic moves!Mind you, he already has PS series and S&H, but wanted a cardio workout that was not too dancey. Even if it uses the step, I think men don't mind being led by athletic woman. What do you think? I hope that the next workout Cathe does involves men, plyo moves in a circuit type workout. Maybe Cathe could call it CIRCUIT CHALLENGE....now we're talkin.;-) dmd

You hit the nail on the head, Fitguy. Actually, my DH did one of Cathe's workouts, & there were no men in it. I can't remember if it was ME or what. He easily acknowledged that she was way too advanced for him & never tried her again. No matter how much I encouraged him to modify.
He would rather stick to his lame-*ss cardio at the gym & whatever weights he musters. But yet, he complains that he can't get in shape. Whatever. I'm sick of it. Yes, Cathe can get dancy in some videos, but not all. As a matter of fact I just did a kickmax premix, kickboxing & BC & trust me , I can't remember a single dancy move. I just wish you guy's weren't so sensitive about these things. I mean, working out at home, alone, dressed the way you want, for as long as you want is really an advantage.

Marla

PS. I posted a really great note for you on your amazing body change & it never posted. Freakin' Firefox! Long story short, I was so proud of you & I don't even know you.

Marla

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.