Melasma...or brown spots on face

dmd

Cathlete
Hi,
So, my brown spots have gotten worse and are bothering me soooo much! I did try a fading cream from my dermatologist ($60 a tube) and saw no difference. What else can be done for this?

Deb

How long did you do the fading cream(it takes about 3months)? Are you on hormones(this can cause/worsen)? In the sun a lot?

Chemical peels can help with this as well.

been bothered too!

Hey Deb,
I've been bothered by these brown (age?) spots too. I had a rather large one on my cheek bone that was quite prominent. I tried treating them at the demotogolist with chemical peels, freezing, laser, etc. The laser treatments helped with some of the smaller spots, but the larger spot was very stubborn. When I lamented to my PCP for the second time, she again suggested a prescribed, expensive cream (over double the cost of your's, but less than the laser treatments) and it worked much better than the laser. You must protect against the sun at all times, but especially when using the cream. I didn't use it during the warmer weather as it can make you more sensitive to the sun's effects. But I intend to use it again this winter. I'm sorry but I don't recall the name -- it's something like Tri-Lumina?? Good luck with this. Deb

I had mine zapped with a laser (both on my face and on my hands) a few years ago and the effect was dramatic. It wouldn't work so well for large patches, but it was good for small self-contained ones (I had small patches around my temples and my upper cheeks). I didn't realize they could do this, but at the same time they zapped my melasma and age spots, they also zapped some little spider veins I had on my nose. Took at least 5 years off my appearance.

I have them too, and I notice that they kind of come and go. I have a swath of them on my forehead, down the side of my face, and sometimes on my cheekbones. It's mostly from sun damage, but I think hormones can be a factor too. I have always been careful about keeping my face out of the sun, but when I was younger.....oh well. I use a coconut milk wash on my face (by Alba), and I don't know if it actually helps, but it does seem to even out my skin. Guess I will have to talk to the dermatologist next time I go.

I had some large melasma spots on my forehead and some smaller spots on my cheekbones. I was given a prescription for something (can't recall the name) but it was $80.00 and this was roughly five years ago. The active ingredients were hydroquinone and RetinA. I did not get the prescription needless to say! I just finished a round of the quinone (should not be used for more than 3 months at a time) and RetinA. I have relatives bring these items over from a foreign country when they come to visit. RetinA .1% is for cell turnover and the hydroquinone 5% is for bleaching. It takes a long time to show results, a good 2-3 months, but it is VERY effective. You just have to make sure to use it nightly and due to the cell turnover from the RetinA the skin is very susceptible to sunburn so absolutely no sun (lots of sunscreen & hats) but again it works very well. I do this once a year usually at the end of summer to get rid of any hyper-pigmentation and spots from accidental sun exposure.
Best of luck
Booboo

Thank you ladies! I am so frustrated with my skin....the brown spots are along my jaw line and on my cheekbones. I am a medium complected latina with freckles to boot! I have recently been diagnosed with a very, very low vitamin D deficiency and I am on a mega dose of vit. D and must get some sun every day! So, yes I do wear sunscreen, but still!

I am going to see my dermatologist in November...she is crazy busy. I will update when I've had the appointment. :) Deb

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.