ME Leg Press question

tvan_horn

Cathlete
I recently increased my weights on Muscle Endurance.

I have often wondered if it makes any difference on leg presses if you hold one dumbell/plate at chest level (like Cathe and Crew) or if you hold 2 dumbells down at your sides (like in LL). I was using a single 25lb dumbell, but now have moved up to 2-15lb dumbells

I feel like I can maintain better form by holding the weights at my sides. After the bicep and tricep sections of ME, I have a hard time holding the weights at chest level -- my upper body is too tired.

I don't have S&H or any of the HC strength workouts. How does Cathe do this exercise in those workouts?

Thanks,

Tina

Tina, I really don't think it matters. Actually, in another w/o with leg presses, Cathe uses a 15 lb. db, and I'll use a 30 lb. bb. I just do about two reps. less on each side. I agree about holding a weight after doing biceps in ME. It's difficult.

I can't imagine that there would be enough of a difference between the two to make much of a difference!

I've dont leg presses with dumbbells held at my sides, with dumbbells held in front of my shoulders (in an exaggerated bicep curl position), with a barbell, and with a weight (medicine ball, Smartbell, dumbbell) held at my chest. doesn't seem to make much of a difference, though I find that sometimes the dumbbell at chest position makes it easier to get up than the dumbells at sides position does (which could actually mean the dumbbells-at-sides position puts one at a slight biomechanical disadvantage somehow...which could make the move more challenging for the legs? I'm just babbling!).

I agree that whatever version you can do with best form is the one to choose.

Thanks for the responses. I really didn't think that how I hold the weight could make that much of a difference, but it just feels easier when I hold the DBs at my sides, so I was wary of anything that seems "easier."

Using 2 DBs will allow me to keep increasing the weights that I use. Since I just started using 2-15 lb DB, I am good for a while, but the thought of using 2-20lb sounds really heavy! I just can imagine using a barbell for this exercise. I am afraid that I would lose my balance while trying to keep the weight in my heel, but maybe I will give it a shot.

Tina

LOL Tina I'm the exact same! If it seems easy, I must be doing it wrong!! ;) Especially with Cathe- yikes!

I'd say try it out with a barbell, too, though, just to try it. Balance wasn't an issue when I tried it for the first time, I think I tried with a body bar. Now I use a barbell when Cathe does (like in PLB) so I'm used to it.

Good luck!

I do ME once a week as that is the only Cathe w/o I own. That is the first time I had seen a plate used instead of dumbells. For myself, I liked using the plate instead of the dumbells on the leg presses. I seemed to feel them more and to me it seemed easier to keep my form. When I get tired of the leg presses I tend to swing the dumbells forward as I go up. Since the first time I did ME I have only used plates on leg presses.:)

I like using dumbbells as I feel I have better form. But I typically use whatever Cathe uses and because I'm aware of my form I work harder to make sure I have good form with whatever I'm using. :)
Jo

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.