maybe some dumb questions on weights- what to use

lovebeingmom

Cathlete
i'm a bit confused- sorry for maybe some dumb questions

okay:

if i'm using a barbell and it saids 20 lbs. do i put 20 lbs on each side or 10 on each side

if it saids to use a barbell but decide to use dumbells for an exercise and my barbell weight is 20 lbs, should i use two 10 lbs weights?

if i'm doing squats lets say and it saids 20 lbs, do I use two 10 lbs weights or two 20 lbs weights?

If it is a barbell exercise and says 20 pounds, you would load the barbell so it weighs a total of 20 pounds. For instance, my barbell by itself (no weights) weighs 5 pounds. If I wanted the total to weigh 20 pounds, I would load 7.5 pounds on each end.

If it is a dumbell exercise and says 20 pounds, each dumbbell needs to weigh 20 pounds.

Hope that helps.

A little more clarification...

If you did any of the 1 RM tests, it also depends on how you entered the weights you used. If you combined the total when you entered your data (5 pounds each side for a total of 10 pounds), then that's what it calculates as your recommended 1 RM Max.

When I entered my data, I entered the weight of one dumbbell or the total on one side of my barbell.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.