marathon training and videos...

DanaB

I just joined up with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team in Training to run a marathon in December. I've never done anything like this before! My question, if anyone can help me, is what I should maintain as far as lower body weight work? I'm sure my legs are going to be toast after some of the long runs and the thought of Leaner Legs makes me wince! I don't have the training schedule for Team in Training yet, but I know one day of the week we have a long group run, another day group track work, and the other days we have specific assignments on our own. I'm planning on keeping an upper body work schedule that uses mostly CTX (the short segments are easier to fit into my busy day). Any suggestions?

Hi Dana,

I'm in a similar situation when my cycling mileage goes up. My riding is fairly balanced, hills & flat. If you're only running on flats, you might have some deficiencies or inbalances that you'll need to address with weight work. When mileage is low, I might do one lower body weight workout, but eventually switch to using very low weight or just body weight. If not, my rides suffer. Kickboxing is great, because there's so much lateral movement. A nice break mentally & physically.

I don't have the CTX, but use the upperbody & abs portion of MIS & Bodymax. I tried PS a few times, but everything suffered. I save that for low mileage times.

What marathon are you shooting for? December sounds like Honolulu.
Debra

Thanks for the advice! That's just the sort of info I was looking for. I wish Honolulu! :) But, I have to stick close to home for my little ones, so I'm doing the California International Marathon in Sacramento, which is just a hop, skip and a jump from where I live. Thanks again, Debra!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.